Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They'll never learn: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...yale-threatens-a-repeat-of-the-moba-bloodbath

Battle Royale threatens a repeat of the MOBA bloodbath
With around a dozen Battle Royale titles set for release by the end of this year, developers need to be realistic about their chances of wresting market share from PUBG and Fortnite

Battle Royale, for those few who haven't seen it, is a Japanese movie from 2000, the last to be made by legendary director Kinji Fukasaku before his death in 2003. It's about a class of teenagers stranded on a remote island and given a random selection of weapons and three days to fight to the death, as lethal "danger zones" gradually encroach around them, until only a single student remains standing.

Given how easily that concept can be draped onto the framework of a video game, arguably the most extraordinary thing about the emergence and soaring success of "Battle Royale" games over the past few years is that it took almost a decade and a half to happen. The underlying concept of Battle Royale, shorn of its social commentary and its (at the time hugely controversial) teenage characters, is the fuel that drives two of the biggest online hits of recent years: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds and Fortnite.

Conveniently, that very same stripped-down concept is a pretty good metaphor for what's going to happen within the online gaming space over the next year or so as well. Just like the games themselves, and the movie, we're about to see a bloodbath in the Battle Royale space, which has become the next target for companies hoping to hop onto a major multiplayer bandwagon. A quick scan of gaming news over the past six months reveals around a dozen developers chasing after PUBG and Fortnite with broadly similar titles; it's likely that there'll be ten or more games in this space launched by the end of 2018, and it would be absolutely stunning if a single one of them came close to the existing hits.

Unevenly matched competitors in a desperate, zero-sum struggle for survival, potentially on territory that's slowly getting smaller underneath all of them? Now where have I heard that one before.

In fact, as irony-laden as this reflection of the microcosm in the macrocosm may be, there's a far better comparison that companies thinking of jumping into Battle Royale should be mulling over carefully. Only a few short years ago, MOBAs went through an almost identical boom cycle. A scrappy, relatively cheaply put together game turned into an online sensation and was rapidly picked up by a big publisher, a single major firm was able to replicate some part of that success with a more polished version of much the same thing, and then dozens of companies stepped up with their own takes, convinced that whatever minor addition they could make to the formula (licensed characters! better graphics! different setting!) was going to earn them a slice of the pie.

Not a single one of those games turned out to be a success on any notable level; even those backed by some of the world's biggest game companies struggled to make their mark. MOBAs reached saturation incredibly quickly - they remain an incredibly popular type of game, albeit eclipsed somewhat by Battle Royale titles lately, but rather than being a 'genre' in the sense of having a steady stream of games iterating around that core concept, this is really a space that has room for a couple of big hitters and very little else.

I see precisely zero reason to expect any different from the Battle Royale space, not least since this has predominantly been the case for every major multiplayer game movement over the past 20 years or so. From the MMO boom precipitated by the success of World of Warcraft through the console FPS success of Call of Duty, to MOBAs and eventually Battle Royale titles - and no doubt a handful of genre 'waves' I've missed out in between - a common factor has been that no matter how commercially gigantic those trends have been, they've never really been able to support more than a handful of huge games, squeezing out any chance of an ecosystem for smaller or medium-sized titles.

There are straightforward reasons why this happens, of course; utility calculations and costs that simply don't exist outside the multiplayer space. The cost of moving to a new game for a player already ensconced in an existing one is extremely high, since they lose their items and progress, and unless they can convince their network of friends to move with them (a pretty high effort cost in itself), they may lose much of that as well.

714x-1

Crytek's Hunt:Showdown is one of the more promising upcoming titles in an increasingly crowded space

While there's a population of players who effortlessly hop from game to game, they're actually not terribly commercially valuable; multiplayer games often make most of their bank from long-term players who get really deeply involved in a game's ecosystem, and the flighty audience that jumps onto whatever is new for a month or so simply doesn't move the needle in revenue terms. This effect - valuable audiences being buried deep in their commitment to existing titles and largely impossible to entice away - is only rendered more prominent by the use of free-to-play systems in multiplayer games, as the sunk cost in terms of microtransactions can be extremely high for many players.

In spite of the clear precedent which suggests that the Battle Royale space is largely nailed down already - and that any further growth in the genre is likely to be devoured by its existing major players - many developers are trying to chase this white rabbit already. I also have little doubt that license holders are presently being inundated with pitches for 'PUBG, but with Marvel superheroes!', or 'Fortnite, but with The Walking Dead brand!' - all of which fail to address the elephant in the room, namely that even bringing some of the biggest brands in entertainment to bear on the MOBA space achieved precisely nothing in terms of granting a competitive edge against the games that already dominated.

It's not that this temptation isn't entirely understandable. Not only is this a new and enormously profitable market, a lot of development execs probably look at something like PUBG and think, 'My team could make something much more polished and accessible than this'. They're not wrong - PUBG's rough-and-ready roots still show through clearly in the game - but they're missing the point.

Those rough-and-ready roots are actually part of the appeal to many players, and besides, this is a genre in which the crown is already firmly held. Adding spit and polish to the existing game systems isn't actually something existing players will care that deeply about - not compared to their attachment to the games they're already so deeply embedded in.

The alternative, of course, is harder - go out there and try to figure out what you can seriously change about Battle Royale to make it genuinely different and exciting for players; a change so fundamental that you actually end up making something that's not really Battle Royale at heart, but something genuinely new. Better again, figure out a new kind of multiplayer experience instead of aping the current trend at all.

Of course this sounds tough, and incredibly risky, but the past few years of MOBA titles launching and flopping like salmon trying to leap over a hopelessly high waterfall should have taught us that the idea of avoiding risk by copying successful online games is a fallacy. In the current climate, nothing is riskier than taking a derivative run at a firmly established game in a multiplayer genre.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think the genre can be fun, but it's getting way too saturated at this point.
Medieval battle royale :incline:
I'd be totally down for that honestly. Horses for traveling, finding crossbows and longswords. Maybe you're trying to flee the plague, and the ending is just a castle siege.

Nirvash

Liturgist
I think the genre can be fun, but it's getting way too saturated at this point.

But the main games are still average at best.

One is heavy spec, 30$, bug ridden, a bit slow, now chinese and cheaters infested.
The other is cartoon arcade, free, was once a pve thing and half gameplay is minecraft walls.

Viata

Arcane
I still think they should copy more Battle Royale(the novel).
Both genders, being able to rape enemies, fatigue/food system, gore, weapon goes from collar-track device(a device to be able to find others in the game) to Uzi 9mm. There is no weapon to find around, you either kill someone or hope someone drop their weapon. So yeah, if you got a Potassium Cyanide, you are fucked or hope someone is dumb enough to grab some random food around(which is going to happen, given the food system). Battle Royale(novel) was supposed to be cruel and the game should do the same.
But alas, they can't do anything right. :negative:

Irata

Scholar
If Valve releases a last man standing game, either as part of CSGO or free-to-play (using CSGO's mechanics), I could see it doing well. I'm sure their art department could whip up some silly costumes (and then let the community make the rest) to buy/sell on the Steam market. I don't think they have a lot of time left to do it though as I don't see this genre having the longevity of DOTAs. Blizzard is working on a new game. Watch that be a battle royale.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
That commercial is about as "bad"-good as the covers of the Barbarian game in the late 80s.

images

No, not that icon-driven farce, the true Barbarian game.

barbarian-main.jpg

And its sequel!

77235-barbarian-ii-amiga-front-cover.jpg

No, not that one either!

THIS ONE!

product-81170.jpg

(Seriously, how hard is it to find hi-res images of such iconic box covers?)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm too drunk to be handling this shit.

The original image, courtesy of cover artist legend Bob Wakelin (RIP):

262324-the-new-zealand-story-atari-st-front-cover.jpg

Some cheap-ass second-bit artist's renditon of the cover for the Sega Master System:

The%20New%20Zealand%20Story.jpg

:nocountryforshitposters:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
http://www.shacknews.com/article/10...gations?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Billy Mitchell Issues Official Response to Twin Galaxies Donkey Kong Cheating Allegations
16 April 2018 9:15 am
CHATTY
Written By Brittany Vincent

The former King of Kong has released a new video statement that addresses the cheating accusations foisted upon him.

The disgraced King of Kong allegedly did wrong, and now he's working to restore his tarnished reputation. After a lengthy investigation into Mitchell's supposedly illegitimate Donkey Kong high scores came to a head, the arcade champion has released a statement about the situation. Speaking to Old School Gamer Magazine, for which Mitchell serves as an advisor, he asserts that all will come to light.

Previously, American organization Twin Galaxies had conducted an investigation into Mitchell's scores after allegations emerged that the subject of the King of Kong documentary had, in fact, been utilizing emulation software known as MAME to achieve the scores earned in that very documentary. After concluding its investigation, also utilizing additional information gleaned from a third-party source which Mitchell had cooperated with, Twin Galaxies responded by stripping Mitchell of his scores and titles. They then forwarded the decision to the Guinness World Records committee so they could follow suit. As such, Billy Mitchell was no longer considered the high score holder, with Steve Wiebe taking his place as the first official million point record holder.

Mitchell's video finds him a vision of solemnity, stating that he's been asked to address "things that are recently in the media." He reminds us that he and, presumably, his team will "show that everything was done professionally, according to the rules, according to the scoreboard, and the integrity that was set up."

"Everything will be transparent. Everything will be available," Mitchell states in the video. "I wish I had it in my hands right now. I wish I could hand it to you. But it's taken a considerable amount of time. Witnesses, documents, everything will be made available to you. Nothing will be withheld. You absolutely have my commitment to that. We've been at this since 1982, and it's not gonna stop now."

It remains to be seen what sort of evidence Mitchell has at his disposal to prove his innocence, but this will be the continuation of an already enthralling saga.

Top comment:

O4mrLbL.jpg

:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom