Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Dorateen

Arcane
Just in time for Easter, our party has won somebody's Egg.

Thus always to tyrants!

zFrOn4X.jpg

Bohr

Arcane
Last I saw the priority action list was (1) purchase Oatley IM174/PD Geiger Counters (2) Grimoire manual (3) Grimoire v2 and one-off sale (4) physical rewards for backers (5) Lovecraft game (6) Grimoire GOG release
But things could have changed somewhat since then

Generic-Giant-Spider

Listen, I know you all want a manual but you have to put yourself into the frame of mind:

You're sitting there, you're coding, you have a half eaten beef jerky in your mouth, you just downed some German beer from an obscure corner of Saxony, four hot models satisfied in the bed, three of them creampied and one to play janitor. You have people hounding on you for a release, saying "give me the game you cocksucker" but you know deep down that while you could release what you have it's not The Time. A game, a truly legendary game, one that breaks the mold and innovates and revolutionizes, it's like a truly satisfying masturbation session. You got your ideas, you have it all written down, you have done everything in your power to make things function as is and to get it just right. You have stats, you have conditions, you have all the good stuff that a blobber worth their text should, you want to ejaculate but you shake your head and wait. A foundation, that's what lesser games leave it at and call a full release but not this one, this is not a basement being built, this is a castle located somewhere in the Carpathian Mountains. So you add to it, you embellish things, polish them, you feel the cum rising into the shaft but you edge it a little longer. Then you keep the idea, this once abstract concept, this dream of a blobber that has existed for so long it has seen the rise and fall of civilizations and you push it onto the unsuspecting and frankly, unprepared public. You thrust it with a curious and unusual blend of malice and promise. You tell doubters to eat shit, you tell the interested to hold on, you tell fanboys to go back to Reddit, you're a one man crusade. A Knight Templar that champions quality and finality. This game isn't about the money, it's not about the fans, it's about you. This is you. Grimoire is your life. Years from now when your family can no longer afford to keep your tombstone in the cemetery the gravedigger will look on your name one last time and remember you, yes you, as the man that did this magnum opus. Being a pussy, he'll also lament the lack of a manual but you know as an ascended spirit banging angels and giving Andre the Giant bodyslams that you did the right move. You don't need a manual, you ARE the manual. Everything about Grimoire is you. This all hits you one day as you're taking a shit because your wife didn't cook the lasagna right. But nevermind that, because The Time has come.

You cum.

And that's how she goes.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 10 hours ago
I have had to do a lot of testing for tablet hunting. Lots of debugging, logging and doublechecking to make sure the tablets can be stolen and transferred to the White Owl eventually, found by other tablet hunters, map navigation by NPCs based on their skills and missions, etc.

As soon as this is solid (this week) will issue a new update with lots of big bugs fixed and fantastic new enhancements. (Resurrected party members now recover their constitution points when they sleep) Will still be prior to manual release.

This includes the fixes for scaling of the screen and different resolutions selectable in configuration.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
if rnd(10000) > 9990
stealtablet()
else
inc tabtheftcounter
moveNPC(randomlocation)
end if

Zep--

Viata

Arcane
I don't like the idea of the White Owl eventually having the tablets. Why would I go after them if the White Owl can get them eventually? Might as well spend the whole time near him until he gets the tables, then I'll do what I have to do.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Well, in Wizardry 7 there was only one *MAP* needed to finish the game, but you don't know that the other 9 are not strictly needed. In Grimoire, maybe it should be also about getting info from NPC's on who has the tablets and using the location spell to find them. Then in that area it should be very likely to run into them.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Checking in for my Semi-Annual post Grimoire Release status of backer rewards.

Whats the word on boxed sets and the grimoire manual?

I'm still eagerly awaiting my boxed set in the mail but I'm sure there is still frantic optimization and refinement taking place this soon after the release date.

Regardless of any finishing touches, I hope to play this game anyday now. (but seriously, I am one of the few faithful who paid tons of money for a boxed copy of this game).

Not long after V2 begins to resonate throughout the world, I will be doing a print run for all materials and probably at a loss. I don't care, I will pay to have all materials printed and shipped out using manual and hint guide released on Steam for V2. The version the IndieGoGo backers will get will be the refined game and the manual after some feedback/revisions.

The manual cover and hint guide cover will be unique. Nobody else will ever get those particular printed versions. I am not promising there will not be other print versions of the manual but the cover and back will be different at a minimum. I was trying to get a quote on some gold foil inlays for the IndieGoGo versions, it's actually not too expensive.

Did you get a Steam key?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Well, in Wizardry 7 there was only one *MAP* needed to finish the game, but you don't know that the other 9 are not strictly needed. In Grimoire, maybe it should be also about getting info from NPC's on who has the tablets and using the location spell to find them. Then in that area it should be very likely to run into them.

The White Owl gets all tablets ... eventually. In the meanwhile, the NPCs will carry them for thousands upon thousands of turns depending on their personality traits. If you want to sleep/rest cycle a thousand times you could just go get them from the White Owl but otherwise it takes a long time before the tablets are seized by the Owl.

Boddler

Educated
The White Owl gets all tablets ... eventually. In the meanwhile, the NPCs will carry them for thousands upon thousands of turns depending on their personality traits. If you want to sleep/rest cycle a thousand times you could just go get them from the White Owl but otherwise it takes a long time before the tablets are seized by the Owl.

Set an ostensible win condition, and then make it trivially easy to reach through some simple mechanic.

All tablets to the owl is at a macro level a repeat of the pattern of the 1000-damage water ice spell that made all combat a farce.

Players who would choose to ignore a trivially easy path to the win condition are interacting with Grimoire as a toy, in accordance with the system's design.

Too bad, for me, that I expected Grimoire to be a game and not a toy. This has been the biggest letdown to my previously high opinion of Mr. Blakemore that crashed after release of Grimoire.

I really expected that his verbal genius would also show in clever and interesting game design. He's pretty much a normie it seems with regard to game design.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I just looked at the avatar and thought that Lady Error was turning on Cleve, what a relief when it turned out to be someone else.

Dorateen

Arcane
GOLDEN ERA GAMES
View Profile
View Posts
[developer] 18 hours ago
New update before this weekend, probably the last one before the manual comes out. After manual is out the V2 version will come out. Since people have played and completed Grimoire and enjoyed it deliriously for upwards of 300 hours or more in a single campaign I think you should take the criticisms with a grain of salt.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I just looked at the avatar and thought that Lady Error was turning on Cleve, what a relief when it turned out to be someone else.

That guy will get bored soon and go back to sorting his anime buttplug collection. If I could I would make it impossible for such untermenschen to purchase Grimoire anywhere on the planet. I should put an intelligence test at the start of registration that restricts access to people with IQs of 92 or higher. My only regret would be that Koko the Sign Language gorilla might need a special exemption to play.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
New main menu screen for V2 is looking pretty good. Probably will not be in the next update but the following update in tandem with manual. Since a lot of the V2 content is ready I may do just one more update before the release of V2 / Manual all in one day. If that is the case I will talk to my friend Matt Barton on his channel before it goes up live. V2 will have substantial discount when it goes up.

New V2 content contains massive subplot I left out of the first release of Grimoire because it was incomplete. It included mini games which I just now added.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Let's hope the manual release shuts up all the whiny faggots on Steam and that the rating goes back to positive over time. And the GOG release of V2 with manual should go much better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom