Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries by Piranha Games - now on Steam and GOG

Cosmic Bane

Educated
co op is not that exciting to me. Shitty AI is the norm in gaming, just take that into account when making your levels and it will all work out.

PorkBarrellGuy

co op is not that exciting to me.

I question your tastes, because good co-op is absolutely amazing in the right game (and MechWarrior is the perfect kind of game for co-op to be fully implemented). Hell, one of the only ways I ever found to make Baldur's Gate genuinely enjoyable instead of just meh-tier was to play it co-op (back when such a thing was still possible). Co-op is a vastly better option than PvP because PvP inevitably devolves into metagaming and dickmeasuring, whereas co-op (PARTICULARLY in MechWarrior) would allow different players with different playstyles to complement each other to do shit like line battles and so on. Hell, even in that shitpile MWO, dropping with friends in a coordinated lance was what made it fun, not roflstomping the puggies on the other side.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

I like what I'm seeing.

It seems they know how to make a nice chromatic appealing UI unlike the retards from Harebrained Schemes and also it seems that the player must give the AC20 some elevation to hit a distant target which is... incline.
Those lasers effects look cool also.

I hope the weapon ranges and ammo capacity (especially for AC20) are not final.

Game feels too arcadey but maybe because it was played on a lower difficulty setting.
The way that tower collapsed al 5:06 was nice.

Also some smudge, cracks, shrapnel marks on the cockpit glass would be a nice touch.
And lose that voice at 1:06.

I want a granny voice! :)

Self-Ejected

xipenec

Self-Ejected
Atlas on Mars felt straight like MW2. I gotta admit, I felt a tingle. It is sad to be satisfied with MW2 in [CURRENT YEAR].

Cael

Arcane
Atlas on Mars felt straight like MW2. I gotta admit, I felt a tingle. It is sad to be satisfied with MW2 in [CURRENT YEAR].
MW2M is possibly the best MW ever made. The rest are pretty much all wannabes. Although, I must admit that the good-bad bugs were hilarious. What really sold it for me was the soundtrack. Truly one of the best fitting for the game it is attached to.

Cael

Arcane
That's it. Cancelling cautionary mode. Injecting lube into fapping protocols. Projection: potential butthurt in case of :imdisappoint.jpg: over 9000.

:d1p:
Isn't Piranha partnering with HBS with their turn-based game? That would mean they are on the same page when it comes to the "extra fillings" they put into the game. I would be far more cautiously optimistic than that if I were you...

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's it. Cancelling cautionary mode. Injecting lube into fapping protocols. Projection: potential butthurt in case of :imdisappoint.jpg: over 9000.

Isn't Piranha partnering with HBS with their turn-based game? That would mean they are on the same page when it comes to the "extra fillings" they put into the game. I would be far more cautiously optimistic than that if I were you...

Maybe they're taking notes while viewing the backlash regarding the controversial decisions HBS took with the Battletech game.

Cael

Arcane

Maybe they're taking notes while viewing the backlash regarding the controversial decisions HBS took with the Battletech game.
Well, one would hope so, but the history of game devs actually learning from their mistakes (or someone else's) is not encouraging...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I would much rather hear about the mod support and co-op multiplayer features than see some explosion effects. While mecha sims are a genre you mostly just have to take what you get due to low supply, those are the two promises that this game so far stands out on. Gameplay itself looks just as low-skill and uncouth as ever for the franchise, so it has to have some other meat around it to make up.

That's the one advantage it has anyway, since Miyazaki-san and FROM won't need mods for their product.

EDIT: Also wtf, you have little dudes running there and you don't show us a gore shower effect? Immortal peasants are the woyst.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Seeing these trailers got me thinking about the Mechwarrior 4 game and expansions, so I found my old disks and tried firing it up again. However, after spending over an hour trying to get it to run in Windows 10 I decided to cut my losses and move on to something else.

I did notice there is a Mechwarrior Online now. How is that?

Taskityo

Educated
I did notice there is a Mechwarrior Online now. How is that?

Did you remember playing Multiplayer in any previous MechWarrior game? It goes like this - have you always wanted your old MechWarrior Multiplayer to be filled with endless grind - grind for money, grind for "skill trees," grind for 'Mechs instead of having them all available to you to customize from the get-go? Do you miss customized servers and real game lobbies; choose your map, choose your mode, drop-in/drop-out? Well if you don't miss that and want to experience endless grind in a barely balanced game with an extremely obtuse User Interface, that's MechWarrior "Online" in a nut shell.

And it's a damn shame too that "f2p" design had to be shoved into the MechWarrior formula, more people would likely play a regular MechWarrior Multiplayer, if it was just the 'bonus' of owning the game for 60$ or less as something you do after having enough of Single Player.

Black

Arcane

Taskityo

Educated
After watching the gameplay videos above it seems like the gameplay design itself is far too like MWO. Unless they simply haven't developed far into the game design, it looks like they kept the simpler, arcadish features, rather than implementing the pseudo-simulation aspects from the previous games.

For one, the radar looks exactly the same as MWO, instead of having Active/Passive 360 Radar - although I could be mistaken. It looks awfully like I remember in MWO, except it simply has a difference in the HUD Display.

The other parts that seem exactly the same:

* Lack of side or rear cameras
* Cockpit still is merely looking out a front view like you're looking out the canopy glass of a fighter jet (in lore it is described as panels displaying outside feed cameras from 360 condensed into 160 degrees - fisheye view would be a cool option, no MW game has tried it) (technically all MW games have been like this, but have added internal views to show side view or a rear view).
* Jump Jets are still non-directional and barely seem to propel a 'Mech (just floats up and down), Jump Jets are far more maneuverable in BattleTech - MW2 or MW:LL are the closest in trying to mimic that
* Weapons appear to function mechanically the same, lasers as a continuous beam, Autocannons firing single shells like spitwads rather than firing like huge rapid fire machine guns, i.e. like real autocannons
* As an addon to my weapon function complaint, lock on missiles like LRM also appear the same and are not fire-and-forget with the missile continuously trying to track the target, and instead you have to keep your cursor locked on
* Animations, while not a gameplay thing, appear the same since I assume they injected the same models - so no improvement here

If all that type of stuff stays the same, modders would have a lot to change. And the minute someone injects Multiplayer in, PGI and/or MWO fanatics are definitely not going to be pleased.

However, the one aspect they have improved is the UI part, where they show the mission selection. It doesn't look to be an eyesore and a clickfest like MWO's very bad interface.

PorkBarrellGuy

It's going to be absolute and total shit because PGI is a terrible company who makes terrible games.

McPlusle

Savant
Looks like a 90s throwback, but with UE4.

Okay. What else you got, lazy devs?

Never mind, because Miyazaki-san is gonna kick your rusty asses when his genius returns with Armored Core.
Armored Core is great (or was, especially the PS1/2 releases) but let's not pretend it actually plays like MW.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
No, since Armored Core plays far better than any of them or all of them together. MechWarrior's biggest problem has always been that its gameplay and simulation is just too low-skill and shallow.

And there is no "was" to Armored Core's greatness, the best Armored Core is Miyazaki-san's first masterpiece For Answer. V and Verdict Day were no slouches either.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Seeing these trailers got me thinking about the Mechwarrior 4 game and expansions, so I found my old disks and tried firing it up again. However, after spending over an hour trying to get it to run in Windows 10 I decided to cut my losses and move on to something else.

This reddit post has all the info you need for mercenaries. Tl:dr, you need to download mekpak a, b and c.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom