Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"literally piracy"

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah, I'm just gonna leave this very appropriate song here:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
IvLopiB.jpg

Don't mind me just pirating this Mona Lisa.

spectre

Arcane
You do not own anythhing but a license to use with or without DRM.

Your license may still get revoked, it is just as likely as it is with DRM.

For a DRM-free game, after a license revoke, you can continue playing it since you may launch the game still, but that is literally piracy.

Literally piracy my convict arse. I don't even think these people are actual shills, they just so far up publishers arseholes that they don't know what fresh air smells like anymore.

Relax folks, if it's "literally piracy", get a letter of marque and it'll all be fine.

I really don't get these people. They read the EULA like it were freaking gospel.
It was the provider's job to get proper license for whatever they're using in their product. Under normal laws, it's not the user's business to second guess if the game he's playing infringes on any third party rights.
If it were so, we would all be covering our ears while walking down the street from fear of listening to unlicensed music.

Anyways, I am quite positive that force-patching the game to remove content is good enough grounds for a full refund in civilized countries.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
To me it's like owning a unabridged version of the book. Just because an abridged version comes out later doesn't mean you owning the old version is illegal in any way. Not sure where you're getting this from.
Books are physical things though, so a mostly completely separate set of laws apply.

Source? That doesn't sound right at all.
No sauce, cause it depends on the wording in the eula and how legally binding eulas are in your country.

It's certainly true that if you have an installed version with the songs there, they can't enforce the removal at all. Depending on the legal status of eulas, it's possible they could compel you to update though (although in reality no one would ever be arsed to do so, since there's no way to make money off of it).

Of course, IANAL so maybe I'm just talking out of my ass :shrug:

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I like the book comparison. In the USSR they had the Great Soviet Encyclopedia, and subscribers were sometimes sent instructions to tear out the pages about the last poor bastard who got purged and replace them with other material. Although as far as I know, even in the USSR there were never any shills advocating legal consequences for people who failed to do so.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
The TPB guys have been hounded by the law since forever but I don't think so. Maybe some members did but the bigger piracy scene arrest recently has been Kickass Torrents admin. That was a real hit to the scene since Kickass was one of the biggest public sites around. As a proud pirate IMO TPB isn't that great and there's probably a chance that they are a honeypot but considering I'm eastern european I don't give a shit and there's some good rare stuff on there still.

Zer0wing

Cipher
rutracker
Can be really lacking in software department. Sure, you'll find latest Adobe CS CC crack included, but not CS4 when needed. And that's just for example.
Why only for this
That's where Rutracker really shines, it's music (and books, I've heard) archive. Everything from latest releases to authors' collections and obscure stuff that could possibly find a way into the internet can settle down in Rutracker.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
rutracker
Can be really lacking in software department. Sure, you'll find latest Adobe CS CC crack included, but not CS4 when needed. And that's just for example.
Why only for this
That's where Rutracker really shines, it's music (and books, I've heard) archive. Everything from latest releases to authors' collections and obscure stuff that could possibly find a way into the internet can settle down in Rutracker.
Also games mate,haven't found a recent game that is not on it. Even the older ones,the more obscure could be found but in Russian. It is very well rounded tracker. For software i don't know mate,rarely i do download new one. Like older versions of programs.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Even the older ones,the more obscure could be found but in Russian
It shares it's laurels with Old-Games.ru, among old games obviously. Literally, because you sure can use torrent for downloading stuff from OG.doesn't happen now
For software i don't know mate,rarely i do download new one. Like older versions of programs.
It's this time when you should just take it as it is instead of disregarding the personal example as I don't use it, so doesn't count. Rutracker is not a panacea for all pirating needs. In software, I'd argue it's better to look up the western internetz.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
If you want latest Adobe CC anything just use CCMaker. Easy as fuck and has everything.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Even the older ones,the more obscure could be found but in Russian
It shares it's laurels with Old-Games.ru, among old games obviously. Literally, because you sure can use torrent for downloading stuff from OG.doesn't happen now
For software i don't know mate,rarely i do download new one. Like older versions of programs.
It's this time when you should just take it as it is instead of disregarding the personal example as I don't use it, so doesn't count. Rutracker is not a panacea for all pirating needs. In software, I'd argue it's better to look up the western internetz.
:whatho:
The fuck are you talking about?! I just pointed out that i personalty don't know about it and therefore i will take your word for it. I never disagreed with you on any note. I was looking at our dialogue as simple information exchange not a agree/disagree kind of thing.

Zer0wing

Cipher
The fuck are you talking about?! I just pointed out that i personalty don't know about it and therefore i will take your word for it. I never disagreed with you on any note. I was looking at our dialogue as simple information exchange not a agree/disagree kind of thing.
makeawish.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom