Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - the final chapter from Eidos Montreal

Phanax

Novice
Patron
Hopefully we get to use dual pistols in something other than a fucking boss fight this time.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Finally, Lara looks like a dirty little b.. hardened archaeologist in these new screenshots.

I'm also glad they changed principal developers (Deus Ex team?) and kicked off that inane writer from the previous two titles. Probably D1P.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Run n Gun isn't exactly awesome gameplay btw.
Yes, it is. I mean, it can be.

Also, I disagree with what you said earlier. For my money, Uncharted, while flawed and by no means great, has better combat than Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider is too static. Movement in combat is too slow. You just slowly crouch around, head-shooting everyone. The gunfights are usually over in no time at all because there are so few enemies. And the recoil is excessive.

Among the few combat things Tomb Raider does better are the manual healing in the sequel and the field of view when aiming.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Regen health. Forcing you to a snail pace to shoot. It's Tomb Raider and you cannot even shoot while airborne, sequences where they give you what is essentially infinite grenade launcher ammo and let you go to town...

The combat is better than something like Spec Ops but it is in no way great. They do mix up combat arenas reasonably well for a modern game and if I recall you can carry more than two fucking weapons, but it is far from greatness. Is it better than Uncharted's also shit combat? Well as stated Unsharted is slightly more mobile, but you're for the most part still popping moles from cover. Uncharted's combat also has a severe lack of enemy diversity (all humans, only difference is what hitscan gun they use and the behaviour that accompanies that gun type) and Tomb Raider typically has larger and more interesting arenas for combat which is needed when the combat is otherwise pretty dull.

They're both shit, yet still better than the dumbest of third person cover shooters. Which isn't hard at all mind you but looking back, what would I rather play: Uncharted 4 or TR 2013? That would be TR 2013 easy. Probably even if it was for the combat alone.
But because I recognise that there are tons of much better games out there and these are both pretty mediocre games, I won't be replaying either of them again. Ever.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Also, I disagree with what you said earlier. For my money, Uncharted, while flawed and by no means great, has better combat than Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider is too static. Movement in combat is too slow. You just slowly crouch around, head-shooting everyone. The gunfights are usually over in no time at all because there are so few enemies. And the recoil is excessive
Why, it's funny, I have the very opposite impression regarding the comparison between both games.
The video you've linked doesn't display all the shit you can do in the last TR. Making traps out of enemies' bodies, using the environment to take out several guys, improvised weapons with various effects (stun, smoke, napalm)...
Mind you, I had only played the first and second Uncharted. Maybe they really improved on it in later games.

Regen health. Forcing you to a snail pace to shoot.
3 out of 5 difficulty settings don't have health regen in the last TR.
It isn't the norm.

The combat is better than something like Spec Ops but it is in no way great.
I never made such a statement though. I merely compared both combat and defend the idea than nuTR has better gunfights than Uncharted.
And i compared it with Uncharted because it's clear Square wanted Crystal Dynamics to turn the franchise into Uncharted.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Regen health. Forcing you to a snail pace to shoot. It's Tomb Raider and you cannot even shoot while airborne, sequences where they give you what is essentially infinite grenade launcher ammo and let you go to town...

The combat is better than something like Spec Ops but it is in no way great. They do mix up combat arenas reasonably well for a modern game and if I recall you can carry more than two fucking weapons, but it is far from greatness. Is it better than Uncharted's also shit combat? Well as stated Unsharted is slightly more mobile, but you're for the most part still popping moles from cover. Uncharted's combat also has a severe lack of enemy diversity (all humans, only difference is what hitscan gun they use and the behaviour that accompanies that gun type) and Tomb Raider typically has larger and more interesting arenas for combat which is needed when the combat is otherwise pretty dull.

Is it better than Uncharted's also shit combat? Well as stated Unsharted is slightly more mobile, but you're for the most part still popping moles from cover.
The guy in the video didn't use cover. What was maybe "popamole" in the video was the auto-aim when hip-firing near enemies, which wouldn't need to be there if they gave you decent accuracy. There are parts where the health regen and level design practically force you to use cover, sadly, but for the most part, it's optional.

Uncharted's combat also has a severe lack of enemy diversity (all humans, only difference is what hitscan gun they use and the behaviour that accompanies that gun type) and Tomb Raider typically has larger and more interesting arenas for combat which is needed when the combat is otherwise pretty dull.
Not really true. Tomb Raider has a lot of little, contained gunfights in environments that are sometimes spacious. The spacious gunfights aren't common. The newest Uncharted games have more open arenas than the old ones.

Ash

Arcane
Which turd smells worse than the other. It's quite possible Unsharted's combat is ruined by how it handles checkpoints Saving every five seconds compared to TR's seven seconds (Exaggeration of course). and I even noticed it spawning in rocket launchers.

Honestly though it's hard to gauge which is worse than the other regarding combat. TR 2013 is easily the better game overall though, if only by virtue of not having tons of walking sim segments and not as much railroaded scripting, and being a bit more gameplay-centric.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
More melodrama,it seems that this is the franchise for angsty teens and not Life Is Strange. Also those faces reminded me of andromeda.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Shadow of the Tomb Raider promises Lara's most dangerous and terrifying adventure yet
2018-04-27 08:00:00by Brett Makedonski

Everything we know from the reveal event

Square Enix's 2013 Tomb Raider showed us a Lara Croft we had never seen before. For decades, the only Lara we knew was an iconic action star -- confidently dual-wielding pistols while running, jumping, and gunning her way through any situation. The reboot aimed to show Lara's formative moments. She was vulnerable and scared for once, just trying to survive.

With Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Lara will become the Tomb Raider.

Square Enix emphasizes and re-emphasizes this point many times over the course of our in-person Shadow of the Tomb Raider presentation. This is the conclusion of a trilogy, but, more importantly, this is the end to Lara's arc of personal growth. She's more experienced and more skilled. She's going to have what lead developer Eidos Montreal calls "a defining moment." And hopefully all that means something beyond "She murders better."

S3-noscale.jpg

We played a 45-minute Shadow of the Tomb Raider demo that took place near the beginning of the game. The most immediate takeaway is that this will feel very familiar for anyone who has spent time with the previous two installments. Duck-and-cover combat sequences, stealthy brutal insta-kills, exhilarating run-and-jump-and-hang-on-for-dear-life setpiece platforming -- it's all back.

However, it's what's new that made the biggest impression. The demo began with Lara and companion Jonah talking shop in Cozumel, Mexico. It's El Día de los Muertos, a giant celebration to pay respects to the deceased. Lara carefully navigates the crowded city, as she's completely surrounded by the vibrant festivities. It looks absolutely incredible.

Tomb Raider routinely does spectacular vistas, but it hasn't experimented much with social spaces. This Cozumel one is a great start. Narrative director Jason Dozois explains that this is something Eidos is bringing over from its experience with Deus Ex. Shadow of the Tomb Raider will have city areas where the player can choose how Lara interacts with non-playable characters; we'll have to wait to see what kind of meaningful impact this might have on the narrative.

S10-noscale.jpg

A large portion of the demo centered around retrieving an ancient Mayan dagger from a tomb. Lara's main priority is beating the malevolent Trinity organization to recover these artifacts. She succeeds with the dagger, but Trinity ends up taking it by sheer force. Trinity's nefarious plan is to essentially seek salvation by triggering the apocalypse through possession of the dagger and a yet-unfound Mayan silver box. The race between Lara and Trinity to locate an ancient hidden city that houses this silver box is seemingly the plot device that will propel most of Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

The stakes are certainly raised, and this feeds directly into Square Enix's most intriguing claim: Shadow of the Tomb Raider is Lara's most dangerous adventure -- specifically with regard to the actual tomb raiding. Eidos seemingly takes a lot of pride in the design of the tombs. Dozois explains that once Lara figures out where the tombs are located, it's dangerous to physically enter them. It's not a cakewalk from there, though. The tombs' puzzles will kill Lara if she tries to solve them incorrectly.

The non-tomb parts sound rightfully treacherous too. The Peruvian jungle seems like a stunning backdrop for this sort of action. There's sure to be plenty of perilous climbing and leaping through the dense and vibrant wilderness. Lara can swim in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which is almost definitely a clear indicator of several tense near-drowning scenes. Also, Dozois mentioned something about Lara fending off parasites, which seem like the least of her worries. Oh yeah, and there's the whole thing about Trinity actively trying to murder her.

S9-noscale.jpg

What we were shown was predictably light on gameplay changes. That's likely because the demo was early in the game and Shadow of the Tomb Raider is set less than a year after Rise of the Tomb Raider. Any new skills will probably be acquired later on. However, we saw Lara's penchant for hiding in vine-covered overgrowth. It's a fine place to launch a sneak attack by putting a climbing axe through an unsuspecting guard's jugular. We were told that Lara will eventually blend into her jungle surroundings by covering herself in mud. Square Enix talked of her evolution into "the apex predator," which she'll partially do by channeling Schwarzenegger in Predator.

It's also worth noting that Shadow of the Tomb Raider looks as if it'll follow in Rise of the Tomb Raider's footsteps with regard to structure. The original game was rather straightforward, whereas Rise featured a few large open areas. The slice we saw was completely linear, but lead game designer Heath Smith assured us that's only because it's the beginning. Once into Shadow, things will open up. Smith says "It's very much the Metroidvania game you know and love from the previous [Tomb Raiders]."

S4-noscale.jpg

The culmination of all this artifact-recovering and enemy-killing in the demo was bleak for the residents of Cozumel. It triggered a great flood, one that wreaked untold destruction on the quaint town. It served as a grand setpiece, a natural disaster for Lara to save herself from. There's dismal and undeniable irony in Lara swimming through the corpses of these people who were celebrating the Day of the Dead just minutes prior.

When she reaches safety, Lara's reunited with a grief-stricken Jonah who yells that she needs to consider the consequences of her actions -- that everything isn't about her. An inevitability of Lara's arc will almost certainly be that she's the best at raiding tombs and she's the best at murdering anyone who stands in her way. Shadow of the Tomb Raider seems poised to be a thrilling conclusion to her tussle with Trinity.

But Square Enix talks about Lara's personal growth, basically taking the words right out of Jonah's mouth. Over three games, she has matured into this murder machine. Has she matured emotionally? Has she realized not everything is about her? And does this figure into Lara's defining moment?" For now, it's all as mysterious as the relics Lara hunts.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider releases on September 14 on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

[Disclosure: Travel and accommodations were provided by Square Enix.]

duke nukem

Augur

"What will I become?"

A bloody Tomb Maker.

What the hell? Look at Lara`s shoulders. He literally has man`s body now. I just watched ending of the RotTR cutscene and she has normal body porpotions.
29dv6sm.jpg

So now she is without jacket and has wider shoulders than in RotRT where she is wearing winter jacket.:negative: I was kind of looking for this game, but im not going to play as independent transwoman.:cry: Well, im still hoping that in game character would look like normal person, if not then im not even pirating it.:?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Available for pre-order:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: The End of the Beginning

5b83592ca76d41f1f2264f2122a617c7663efd36.png

Square Enix, Eidos Montréal, and Crystal Dynamics gave the first look at Shadow of the Tomb Raider today, in the official “The End of the Beginning” reveal trailer. Watch the full trailer here!

Created by a team of veteran Tomb Raider developers at Eidos-Montréal, in collaboration with Crystal Dynamics, the game will be available on September 14, 2018 for the Xbox One family of devices including Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system, and Windows PC/Steam.

In Shadow of the Tomb Raider, you will:
  • Survive and Thrive In the Deadliest Place on Earth: Master an unforgiving jungle setting in order to survive. Explore underwater environments filled with crevasses and deep tunnel systems.
  • Become One With the Jungle: Outgunned and outnumbered, Lara must use the jungle to her advantage. Strike suddenly and disappear like a jaguar, use mud as camouflage, and instill fear in enemies to sow chaos.
  • Discover Dark and Brutal Tombs: Tombs are more terrifying than ever before, requiring advanced traversal techniques to reach them, and once inside they are filled with deadly puzzles.
  • Uncover Living History: Discover a hidden city and explore the biggest hub space ever found in a Tomb Raider game.
Lara will be forged into the Tomb Raider she is destined to be as she races to save the world from a Maya apocalypse,

Star of the critically acclaimed 2013 Tomb Raider reboot and the award-winning Rise of the Tomb Raider, Camilla Luddington makes her return as Lara Croft with yet another stunning performance in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Last night, Square Enix welcomed fans, community leaders, press, and industry influencers to events in Montreal, London, and Los Angeles so they could experience Lara Croft’s defining moment as she becomes the Tomb Raider.

Today, fans in the New York City area will be able to enjoy a Special Preview of Shadow of the Tomb Raider at the 2018 Tribeca Film Festival! This free event will start at 4 p.m. EST, and will take place inside of the BMCC Theater at the Tribeca Performing Arts Center. Join the creative team as they discuss the evolution of Lara Croft and share in the techniques, tools and inspiration behind the series. Panel attendees will be able to witness an exclusive extended gameplay demo for the upcoming Shadow of the Tomb Raider game.

Pre-orders are available now for the Standard, Digital Deluxe, Croft, and Ultimate Editions. For full details on pre-order items, the Season Pass, key beats in the upcoming campaign, and more information on Shadow of the Tomb Raider, please visit TombRaider.com.

For a limited time, receive the following with your purchase:
  • 48H early access*
  • Steam Exclusive Wallpaper
  • Additional Skills Booster Pack
*48H early access only applicable to Digital Deluxe Edition and Croft Edition purchases

The Croft Edition includes the game itself, along with all of the items listed below:
  • Season Pass
  • Original Game Soundtrack (Part of the Digital Deluxe Edition)
  • 1 weapon/outfit (Part of the Digital Deluxe Edition)
  • 2 Additional weapons/outfits
Following a first Weapon/Outfit drop on Sep 14th, Season Pass content will release on a monthly basis starting in October 2018.

Phanax

Novice
Patron
so...
Steam Exclusive Wallpaper
how this works?
I assume they're referring to being able to have an exclusive background image that you can apply to your Steam community profile page. Doesn't mean it can't be saved and distributed as a regular wallpaper, but since you can't have custom images as profile background, that's what makes it "exclusive".

GrainWetski

Arcane
Which turd smells worse than the other. It's quite possible Unsharted's combat is ruined by how it handles checkpoints Saving every five seconds compared to TR's seven seconds (Exaggeration of course). and I even noticed it spawning in rocket launchers.

Honestly though it's hard to gauge which is worse than the other regarding combat. TR 2013 is easily the better game overall though, if only by virtue of not having tons of walking sim segments and not as much railroaded scripting, and being a bit more gameplay-centric.
They're both shit, but Womb Raider is at least playable because mouse aiming.

Falksi

Arcane
Got to be honest, I loved the 2013 reboot. It was a bit scatty, but still tightly wound enough to be a good blast. Some bits were brutal, and it really drew me in.

However, I found Rise Of The Tomb Raider totally fucking wank. They watered down the format so much with all the usual Ubisoft, open world bullshit, and it was a real fucking slog.

Now they've jumped on the "survival" band wagon, and again we're destined to have a game which excites dickheads because of the idea of what it should be, whilst ignoring the fact that most survival gameplay is actually dull as shit.

I don't want a million ways to kill people. I just want the few ways I can kill them, and the combat itself, to be exciting.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
To be fair, they had already marketed the reboot as survival/action or something.
It doesn't mean anything, but it's always been there for nuTR.

Rise of TR has one redeeming aspect imo : tombs are much more atmospheric. These were really good.
I wish they would have improved upon the first by fleshing out tombs instead of adding asinine missions and turning some levels into big ass low fps areas. Unfortunately, it seems that this will be even worse in nuTR 3.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
For me the 2013 reboot was totally mediocre while I enjoy RotTR a lot. I find it to be a step ahead in almost every way from the prior game, and the only thing I miss is the weird japanese island theme. More focused on exploration (I play it without markers), the tombs are really enjoyable this time, like small levels from Legend-Anniversary-Underworld. Still the enemy AI and the gunplay feeling needs to be improved, same with the story with is basically like a shabby B adventure movie.

These reboot games are marketed as survival games but they aren't. The player hunts and gathers for improving Lara's equipment and weaponry, not for surviving. This comes along with the regenerating health system of course. In Rise the went into the right direction since health must be restored with craftable health packs and does not recovers automatically anymore in higher difficulties. And the Endurance DLC added interesting things like an hypothermia and hunger meters, that must be supervised with staying near hot places (Like bonfires) and gathering meat and berries frequently. Let's see if they had learned something for this new game, though the development team is different now. Is the same creators from nuDeus ex (Eidos Montreal). I wish they add something like the hunger and medic system in Metal gear solid 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom