Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Taliesin Jaffe in question.

1200px-Taliesin_Jaffe_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They were going to make the announcement with a development update, just that development update wasn't ready on time.

Have Obsidian forgotten Fig exists? Will backers who aren't on social media or forums even know when the game is released??

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
They were going to make the announcement with a development update, just that development update wasn't ready on time.

Have Obsidian forgotten Fig exists? Will backers who aren't on social media or forums even know when the game is released??

That would be an issue, if the game was ever to be released. As it stands, there is no problem in the lands of figstarter.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't know just how much of a driving force it effectively is, but I think it has become evident that it helps a lot. Look at DOS2. Also look at how people in mainstream sites reacted to the full dialogue VO for Deadfire announcement.

DOS 2 have multipalyer and fake hype over the roof. Also paid critics. Poe also had paid critics remeber when polygon said that poe have superb writing lol . Couple days later sawyer commented and admited game was overwritten lol.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Having VA in a game matters more to normies than most Codexers would dare to imagine. There are people who would not buy a game simply if there wasn't any VA or even if the VA wasn't in their own language.

Quillon

Arcane
I don't know just how much of a driving force it effectively is, but I think it has become evident that it helps a lot. Look at DOS2. Also look at how people in mainstream sites reacted to the full dialogue VO for Deadfire announcement.

DOS 2 have multipalyer and fake hype over the roof. Also paid critics. Poe also had paid critics remeber when polygon said that poe have superb writing lol . Couple days later sawyer commented and admited game was overwritten lol.

Don't think there were paid reviews. Reviewer sites chose to be generous, none of them dared criticize the writing cos they didn't want old-skool backlash(Pillars 1's case), which wouldn't have happened anyway, I guess :P Only Angryjoe was honest from the early reviews that I can recall. (Obs should pay him just to review Deadfire tho, his PoE review must have given a good push to sales)

Last edited:

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Don't think there were paid reviews. Reviewer sites chose to be generous, none of them dared criticize the writing cos they didn't want old-skool backlash(Pillars 1's case), which wouldn't have happened anyway, I guess :P

But why? Ploygon survived gamergate it sure can survive rpg renaissance backlash? All of them are recycling agreeable opinions which i dont understand why? They wouldnt get free review copies anymore?

Quillon

Arcane

Don't think there were paid reviews. Reviewer sites chose to be generous, none of them dared criticize the writing cos they didn't want old-skool backlash(Pillars 1's case), which wouldn't have happened anyway, I guess :P

But why? Ploygon survived gamergate it sure can survive rpg renaissance backlash? All of the are recycling agreeable opinions which i dont understand why? They wouldnt get free review copies anymore?

Another possibility is reviewers didn't have the necessary IQ level to appreciate the glorious writing so they said "way too many words, must be great" :P

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, they have it as featured and recommended on Steam :) But yeah, a news post on Fig wouldn't hurt.

2house2fly

Magister
It's honestly ridiculous. I think I'd prefer all VO for a first person game, but in an isometric game there's already a level of removal there which means you're not "immersed" in a sense where voice acting would enhance the experience anyway. Plus less voice acting might have left them more funds to hire someone with a really great voice to play the GIGANTIC STATUE GOD instead of whatever Critical Role weepy beard man will be doing it. Hopefully this tie-in and full VO stunt increase sales of the game without detracting from the experience of playing it.

frajaq

Erudite
Obsidian's next game will be FPS battleroyale with RPG elements (items with stats) and full voice acting. It will be good because it will boost the sales.

It will compete with the Fallout Battle Royale Bethesda is gonna announce at this year's E3 and will finally bankrupt Obsidian for good

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Deadfire is not featured and recommended on Steam for me.. pretty sure those are personalized or based on your friend activity tbqh.

Also polygon could easily think the writing in POE was great, just compare the quality of the writing in POE to the dogshit you see on polygon and you willl see there could be truth behind their words.

and 1 week to go and still no new codes found wtf JOSH

2house2fly

Magister
Deadfire is not featured and recommended on Steam for me.. pretty sure those are personalized or based on your friend activity tbqh.

Also polygon could easily think the writing in POE was great, just compare the quality of the writing in POE to the dogshit you see on polygon and you willl see there could be truth behind their words.

and 1 week to go and still no new codes found wtf JOSH
It's Sunday.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

It looks like there is a lot to be exccited about with just 9 days left until the game sets sail and also noticed the announcement of three additional adventures we will be able to enjoy to add on to the game! After the White March pushed the envelope I am really looking forward to three new places to explore like The Beast of Winter sounds like a nice addition I wonder if it will be a frozen island from magic gone badly where the cult resides and the reach of ice and show is pushing out into the Deadfire and you have to sail there to investigate and put a stop to it. The second one does not sound very interesting but the third one will be a difficult choice for my barbarian does she trust the mages or not but I will still be playing them since I already go the package ordered! Very excited oh and because I also completed my second playthrough of Pillars yesterday :hug: so I have a cipher and a barbarian with different save game choices to try out but probs going to use my barbarian as the main character the explore and adventure with since that was the first time I completed the game.

In case you might not know there are two other games I am following here that might interest some of you who also played Pillars called Realms Beyond and Pathfinder so check these out too and let us support these new games okay? Maybe we can start a new thread on the 8th of our character stories and share secrets we uncover while on the next part of our journey. All aboard but for those on the discord chat I am sorry but I left it because all the time I was there and tu for the invite Orma back then it was nice of you but all those months only one conversation stood out and that was talking about our homes and renovations that Barnabus on their home just if anyone was wondering but the chat just was not for me okay? okay.
heart.png

Well I guess in the last week if nothing huge news comes out then I will see you on the high seas!
QmWPNZs.jpg
*clink*
QmWPNZs.jpg

opps I forgot a shouts to Infinitron for all the news and updates I missed for the last month tu :)

Thanks,
Sherry

Iznaliu

Arbiter

Additionally, probably around 50% of the complaints I've heard about PoE1 outside of here prominently mention the lack of VO as a major negative. It is pretty clear that VO is pretty important to the marginal audience Obsidian needs to reach in order to sell games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
2house2fly I saw your post on SA about portraits in the beta.

You should know that ALL of PoE1's portraits are included in the PoE2 beta's files so the presence of Thaos' portrait doesn't indicate anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom