Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Game PR is even worse than movie pre release press tour, at least in the latter the actors get to fuck the journalists and the local whores.

Jezal_k23

The blue haired guy voices Eothas apparently. Looked like he didn't know the character's name when asked about it though. Josh had to rescue him from that one.

Nael

Arcane
When I become dictator - any adult that wears a onesie will be genocided. What in the Hell is this shit?

I'm out gentlemen. That is all I can take. 5 mins worth.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I can believe it. Pillars is like 30GB. The actual preload of Deadfire will probably be 25-30ish GB if I were to guess.
Things to consider here is that Deadfire has full voice acting and higher-quality graphics all around.

Jezal_k23

Now Justin is helping them with some stickers or something. Wasn't paying attention.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Sword romance confirmed :P

Well this last month saw Obsidian go from ok studio to literally hitler bethesda. With the notable difference that I haven't heard of Bethesda treating their top guys in a despicable way.
I feel numb. I liked this studio. I only played kotor II, new vegas and poe but I liked them all. I embraced this comfy, naive narrative that it was a struggling studio getting back on tracks and shit. I even defended them more than once from evul meanies here.
In the end, it's yet another actor from the industry that disappears entirely from our radars, forever concealed by a massive eclipse of shit and baseness. The vivid pool of trustable developpers runs even drier, perspectives on the genre get grimmer and hope - hope slowly fades away, leaving our empty husks in its wake.
Feel free to strike me while I'm down. I won't retaliate. Ever again.

On another note, the possibility that Black Geyser raises more than Copper Dreams confirms we're in the darkest timeline.

Quillon

Arcane

Well this last month saw Obsidian go from ok studio to literally hitler bethesda. With the notable difference that I haven't heard of Bethesda treating their top guys in a despicable way.
I feel numb. I liked this studio. I only played kotor II, new vegas and poe but I liked them all. I embraced this comfy, naive narrative that it was a struggling studio getting back on tracks and shit. I even defended them more than once from evul meanies here.
In the end, it's yet another actor from the industry that disappears entirely from our radars, forever concealed by a massive eclipse of shit and baseness. The vivid pool of trustable developpers runs even drier, perspectives on the genre get grimmer and hope - hope slowly fades away, leaving our empty husks in its wake.

On another note, the possibility that Black Geyser raises more than Copper Dreams confirms we're in the darkest timeline.

Sword romance made you spill your guts? :D

Jezal_k23

Well this last month saw Obsidian go from ok studio to literally hitler bethesda.

If you are reacting to the romances, then I think you meant to compare them to Bioware.

As for the business practices, perhaps you're talking about comparing Obsidian to Bethesda the publisher, which is different from Bethesda the game development studio.

Bethesda the publisher to Obsidian is not a good comparison to make, though.

2house2fly

Magister

It's worth bearing in mind that another former employee, who has no real reason to get into this at all, seems to take issue with at least some of the things MCA is saying. Also Josh Sawyer gave a talk recently about how working conditions in the industry need to improve, and while I don't know how he feels about the way Avellone was treated, I have a hard time believing that he would be okay with employees being treated that way in general. It could well be that things are better there now than they were a few years ago. That said, it's never a bad time to learn the lesson that getting emotionally invested in a commercial company is not a great idea

Sentinel

Arcane
It's worth bearing in mind that another former employee, who has no real reason to get into this at all, seems to take issue with at least some of the things MCA is saying
Fenstermaker is a contractor and he didn't rule out working at Obsidian again in the future IIRC. He has plenty reasons to defend them.

Jezal_k23

We get attached to our own idea of what a company is, which is its public image. But we're not there. Reality is always different.

Look at Valve. It was sacred once. You couldn't badmouth them without a mob pursuing you for it. Valve just allowed its own public perception to erode over time because they don't need it anymore, now with Steam.

Other companies have to maintain it, and that's what we attach ourselves to. They could be scumbags, who the fuck knows, unless some scandal is leaked?

So I think if anyone is really broken down about Obsidian being this way, I think it's their own fault for getting attached to a fucking COMPANY.

You can like individual people in it, and some of these people are unlikely to be to blame for management issues but they're also playing the PR game for the company (like Swen for Larian, Josh for Obsidian, Ben Brode for Blizzard, formerly Gabe for Valve, etc... which is fine, because it is their job).

I guess I'm just saying we shouldn't really have attachments to any company. At most, to developers within them and even then be cautious.

Sentinel

Arcane
It's worth bearing in mind that another former employee, who has no real reason to get into this at all, seems to take issue with at least some of the things MCA is saying
Fenstermaker is a contractor and he didn't rule out working at Obsidian again in the future IIRC. He has plenty reasons to defend them.
Why would he want to work there?
idk
why would anyone want to work
maybe it's close to home & family
maybe he knows and likes the people there
maybe the pay isn't bad
maybe the owners like him
maybe the restaurant close by has some delicious desserts

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom