Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Why doesn't real life look like it's above 60 FPS?

• Thread starter Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal
  • Start date

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

In gaming, playing a game (or even watching a video of someone playing it) in 60 FPS or above creates a very distinctive visual effect of fast and fluid motion. Yet, real life looks downright sluggish in comparison, like a 30 FPS-locked console trash that's lagging in a densely-populated hub area. Can any experts shed some light unto this mystery?

te9fe9d_Matrix_Morpheus_Battery-cde394524cb186bb.JPG

Cael

Arcane
In gaming, playing a game (or even watching a video of someone playing it) in 60 FPS or above creates a very distinctive visual effect of fast and fluid motion. Yet, real life looks downright sluggish in comparison, like a 30 FPS-locked console trash that's lagging in a densely-populated hub area. Can any experts shed some light unto this mystery?
How else are we going to get the cool walking-away-from-an-explosion-in-unison-while-smoking-a-cigar look?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bbbbbut less than 60fps is unplayable. You must spend $500000 immediately on a GTX TITAN BLACCC XXXX immediately or real life is just a waste.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Retinas have incredibly shitty resolution, but they compensate by rapidly scanning whatever you focus on, and your brain fills in the rest of the scene from memory and guesswork. When you're scanning multiple things IRL your effective framerate drops into the single digits. But when you're just starting at a monitor your eyes are effectively running at 50-100 fps so you can see when a game's running at 30 fps. Even 60+ fps is noticeable to some people.

Ocelot

Learned
Not comparable. The images an eye/brain "generates" are nothing like the images a screen displays.

Dux

Arcane
I strive for 60 FPS in all things. For me 60 FPS is the optimal way of living and I don't care what anybody says. I'm actually typing this whilst eating cottage cheese and spinach leaves, because that is the 60 FPS thing to do. I reject the godless 120 and 144 FPS cults and I try not associate myself overlong with the 30 FPS mob. The sub 25 FPS Slavic degenerate bootleggers can be rounded up for all I care. It's for the best, I think. As for the struggling 46-54 FPS:ers actively trying to optimise I'd shake your hand if not for V-Sync.

PorkBarrellGuy

Well, 60FPS is all you need to avoid input lag issues and shit right?

deama

Prophet
I can notice a difference between 60 and 144 fps, so... you are wrong.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Spoken like a peasant who hasn't experienced 144Hz gaming.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Sure we can always call the OP an autist and state the obvious that real life isn't a monitor screen but this is a genuine question that deserves at least some scientific explanation.

deama

Prophet
I can notice a difference between 60 and 144 fps, so... you are wrong.

How about 120 and 144?

I'm thinking of getting a new monitor and I'm wondering about it
You won't notice much of a difference between 120 and 144 since it's only 24 away and it's already that high, so whichever one is cheaper and still looks robust.

Gerrard

Arcane
What was the point behind 144Hz anyway when 120Hz monitors already existed? I mean besides milking idiots out of their money of course.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Go to a optometrist,you have some problems with the eyes mate. Normal human vision put in fps is from around 50 to around 120. If your real life view is somewhat slow then there is possibility of having a real problem. It could even be some neurological shit.

The difference between 30 and 60 fps is pretty noticeable until you get used to the game. The worst thing is when fps rapidly drops. People even notice the PoE fps drops in cities. For me the fps matters depending on the game,FPS with fps lower than 60 is shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom