Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now I get what you're saying about turning your neck maybe being more work than looking up and down, but you're also essentially talking about just not using most of the screen.
One good way to solve this head-turning problem is to place all the important information closer to the center of the screen.
O79pJr4.jpg
No HuD. So immersive!
I also like how you can not assume the genders of the NPCs. So progressive!

Mustawd

Kasparov , I take back all the bad stuff I said about your game. Good luck. Art is gorgeous man. That person deserves a raise.
OMG. Does this mean.. are you going to.. admit.. DE is.. a RPG afterall?

If ICY is an RPG, then DE is an RPG. I already admitted this in the "Sawyer wants rpgs to evolve" thread. Prime Junta did a p. crappy job of explaining the combat in his preview, and it took someone in that thread to actually describe the combat to me. Is it my cup of tea? Not really. This is a story tard game through and through, but an rpg it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prime Junta

Prime Junta did a p. crappy job of explaining the combat in his preview

In my defence, I did not experience any combat encounters in the 25 minutes I had with the pre-alpha build I played. Robert did explain it to me with many words and hand-waving, but there's only so much you can do with that.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Marat Sar That's a lot more hot dogs than I was expecting! Err, based on other comments you've made about hot dogs in the past.

Usually if I eat 30-40 hot dogs at once, that will win the contest and I won't feel the need to compete again for a long time. I may go back and do another contest at the same restaurant a year or two down the line, or I might not. Very likely I'll move on to other restaurants after something like that. In any case I don't see how anybody could ever say that's not enough hot dogs and that's a strange complaint to expect.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
There's nowhere enough hair in the protagonist's back for this to be believable. Fix this or my money will be going towards funding Black Geyser instead.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
And Dominic Tarason from RPS writes about our latest blog post on combat and muses over that time he played the game at Rezzed. He brings up a lot of points that would get a brofist from me.

Combat, failure and raising the stakes in Disco Elysium

The combat engine is so often the heart of an RPG, even in the tabletop sphere. Characters shuffle around a battle-grid, attacks are tabulated, armour classes are defined, hit points are shaved away until only one side is left standing. Not so for upcoming police-drama RPG Disco Elysium. In their latest development blog, Studio ZA/UM go into detail on combat in the game including why it’s so rare, and how deeply intertwined it is with the dialogue and thought-inventory systems.

While others RPGs have attempted combat-light systems in the past (the recent Torment: Tides of Numenera springs to mind, where almost all fighting can be bypassed or wriggled out of), Disco Elysium sets itself apart by not having anything resembling a traditional RPG ‘combat engine’. No grids and very few hard rules, although you’ll still be asked to roll the dice from time to time.

It shouldn’t be forgotten that even in the most violent of police stories, gunfights tend to be few and far between. Even Clint Eastwood’s Dirty Harry – famed for his oversized revolver and inability to count bullets – only got into a couple of short, nasty gunfights in the course of his debut film. Violence is dangerous for everyone involved, and thanks to the mostly realistic alternate-earth setting, if someone takes a bullet and lives to tell the tale, that hole is going to be with them for the rest of the story.

Building on that thematic foundation, Disco Elysium treats its handful of combat encounters as a high-stakes extension of its dialogue systems, backed up with unique animations for each possible outcome during each turn taken. Each round of action (called a ‘whirl’ by the developers, presumably to separate it from any hard-defined period of time) begins with time pausing and ends with everyone taking action. You’re allowed multiple analytical, introspective or even dialogue options per whirl, letting you figure out your next move after consulting with your own party and personal collection of inner voices on what skill check would be your best bet.

While obviously combat does include the possibility of death and a definitive end to your story, failing a skill check in Disco Elysium can result in some unique and spectacular scenes. While playing the EGX Rezzed show-demo of the game, a flubbed attempt to gracefully sneak out of a bar to avoid paying my tab resulted in my character dashing across the room, jumping and turning in mid-air to deliver twin raised middle fingers to the barman before crashing painfully into a little old lady’s wheelchair, leading to a whole new scene of (very apologetic) dialogue afterwards. It’s a world away from ‘You failed your diplomacy roll, shop prices increase 5%’.

If it weren’t for all the skill-checks and clever mechanical underpinnings of the dialogue system, Disco Elysium might bear little resemblance to traditional computer RPGs. Still, those mechanical depths are here, just not geared towards combat as a centrepiece of the experience. Having finally played the Rezzed demo for the game, I’m increasingly confident in the developers ability to pull this one off, even if the end result is quite unlike anything I’ve played before.

While there’s no hard release date set, ZA/UM are hoping to release Disco Elysium sometime this year, and you can wishlist it over on Steam to stay abreast of release info.

Valtiel

Scholar
For some reason i'm thinking about the blade runner game where you also had occasional shootouts, even if it was a point and click. That was a cool game...

Cabazone

Educated
That´s going to be a DLC.

I guess that's your way of saying no. Too bad. I can't play some games (recently : MOTB) because reading their numerous small sized texts is not comfortable enough ; and although, as you may have guessed, my eyesight isn't exactly top notch, it is not exceptionally bad either, so I'm somewhat convinced not to be alone in that case.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
I wasn’t kidding about the DLC thing. We’ll might have to ship it as-is and patch in that feature at a later date õ_õ

We will do our utmost to have it on launch. It really is a priority.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I dunno but we have been conditioned so much that we on default think dlc is a paid content, whike technically a free feature in patch can be considered as a DLC.

Says much about the state of the industry

luinthoron

Learned
Of course it won't be at E3.. this game doesn't exist. there is no evidence of its existence outside of fabricated screenshots in magazines.
You have to applaud the effort of the "devs" to convince people, though, even going as far as to use hallucinogenics to convince reviewers they've played it at other shows.

Either that, or it could exist after all. Whichever you deem more likely, I guess.

vota DC

Augur
Post will be obsolete soon because motorics is on the way, but based on the combat screenshot we have 1 motorics and 1 eye coordination but the success is still 40%, seems high since the values are the lowest.

Any ETA available?
Later this year.

1st July = second half of year, seems a good date to release

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom