Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

2house2fly

Magister
That doesn't make sense, since if he was the superior writer then Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain wouldn't have been the best one

Sentinel

Arcane
Dude MGSV was so shit that 3 years later the fans are still delusional coming up with conspiracy theories to convince themselves that it was a prank by Kojima and he's releasing the true MGS5 soon.

Sentinel

Arcane
Dude MGSV was so shit that 3 years later the fans are still delusional coming up with conspiracy theories to convince themselves that it was a prank by Kojima and he's releasing the true MGS5 soon.

It looks like a serious case of phantom pain.
Well I have no doubt that Kojima intended the players to feel a "Phantom Pain" by leaving that extremely accessible "Cut Content" movie/cutscene/extra in the game for everyone to see. But I would have liked it more if the actual game wasn't garbage and the characters completely wasted, aside from Kazuhira Miller. The only salvageable thing about MGSV was the smooth movement, everything else was bad. The disappointment knife cut deeper after how gritty and dark Ground Zeroes was and how well it set up Skulface as a serious villain. And those fucking MGSV trailers man, those were the best trailers ever.

Honestly I should have expected it after "dude nanomachines lmao" in MGS4 (which despite that still had some incredible moments) and Hot Coldman in Peace Walker.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Feargus had quite the nice scam going, giving Avellone the meaningless title of "chief creative officer" when he was the one doing the kind of things one would think a chief creative officer would be doing.

Good thing for him he gets to fall back on a similar scam with Sawyer and "design director."

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Rp03ztS.jpg

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

It looks like a serious case of phantom pain.
Well I have no doubt that Kojima intended the players to feel a "Phantom Pain" by leaving that extremely accessible "Cut Content" movie/cutscene/extra in the game for everyone to see. But I would have liked it more if the actual game wasn't garbage and the characters completely wasted, aside from Kazuhira Miller. The only salvageable thing about MGSV was the smooth movement, everything else was bad. The disappointment knife cut deeper after how gritty and dark Ground Zeroes was and how well it set up Skulface as a serious villain. And those fucking MGSV trailers man, those were the best trailers ever.

Honestly I should have expected it after "dude nanomachines lmao" in MGS4 (which despite that still had some incredible moments) and Hot Coldman in Peace Walker.

agree with you 100% on MGSV!! Ground Zeroes was fucking awesome, had actual stealth (like you had to literally carry people out of a base to a helicopter, no fulton bullshit, and the base had cameras and guards positioned like the old games) TPP was an action game.. Stealth was so fucking easy due to the lack of guards, lack of cameras and the fact that you could just tranq someone and then make them disappear off the map forever...

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
After what I have read to that moment, I think safe to say that given the fact that such news and gossips spreads far and wide, and those who are making decisions are first to hear them out - Obsidian will never get contract from big publisher again, at least not without elefant doze of control over processes.

Last edited:

Puteo

Learned
So, in an effort to fix this (my next mistake), I started relying more on email to track requests and get confirmation vs. face-to-face meetings (which I thought might be the problem, since no notes were taken so decisions could get clouded).

This tracking mechanism worked, but ended up being a mistake, since the facts ended up not being the issue.

The reason it was “risky” was because presenting facts and their actual request never went over well – they’d lose their temper because their change of mind was exposed, so the facts ended up being useless. (Parker once lost it when I asked when we were getting a designer on KOTOR2 that he had promised and was using exclusively for UI work, since it was past the date for the designer to move over to content assistance – and then told me despite what he had promised, this was simply the way it was now, and the designer I had planned for would simply not be available and I had best deal with it – and this blaming was for a plan I hadn’t even proposed, so I didn’t understand the rage.)

Chris Avellone I am not in game dev but your experiences remind me so much of my current workplace it's painful to read. Thank you for posting your story; because of you I am finally going to take the step of looking for a way out of this dump. No one deserves to be treated like this.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Tbf I kind of feel bad for Feargus reading all this shit. It seems like poor guy is the only member of his entire family capable of staying employed, so he ends up filling his entire company with relatives and their dogs.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Chris can we know how involved are you with the Ghost Story game ex. your role? or if it will have more of your work than most of your recent works since you've been with them since your departure? :)

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
Yeah Chris' stories remind me of my current position as a low level wage slave that managers slightly lower level wage slaves. My married department director screwed one of his employees, got her pregnant, and just did a quick divorce/remarry and noone batted an eye. We have a very productive department lead (adderall). Management loves her productivity. Her three/four day "vacations" to sleep it off are well hidden and unnoticed. We make a livable wage and have no prospects anywhere else (unless we move out of state) so noone ever complains.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah Chris' stories remind me of my current position as a low level wage slave that managers slightly lower level wage slaves. My married department director screwed one of his employees, got her pregnant, and just did a quick divorce/remarry and noone batted an eye. We have a very productive department lead (adderall). Management loves her productivity. Her three/four day "vacations" to sleep it off are well hidden and unnoticed. We make a livable wage and have no prospects anywhere else (unless we move out of state) so noone ever complains.

Some of his management stories (more the tactics to push people out once they fall afoul of management than the outright fraud) remind me very much of many of the jobs I've had over the years. Bad management, nepotism, and 'evil' corporate practices are hardly the sole domain of game development. In my experience, I'd even say they are the norm rather than the exception.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom