Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Diablo 2 LoD Fun

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
If you are melee watch out for Iron Maiden curse (Oblivion (LOL1111) Knights cast it for example), as its pretty much an instant death if you do a lot of physical damage. If you are a barb its good to have a point in Berserk as it does 100% magic damage, so Iron Maiden doesn't affect it. Every time you see one of the casters that cast it switch to berserk until the caster is down.

Xi

Arcane
Jasede said:
That's just something you need to know! Stygian Dolls = instant death if you have low (< 2000) HP on Hell, and dangerous on NM. And Fire Enchanted, or worse, Fire + Lightning Enchanted = RUN LIKE HELL.

Yeah, it was an accidental instant death. I moved in to damage some of the council members and one of them corpse exploded upon death. It probably wouldn't have happened had I been doing them solo, but there were 4 of us blasting them and I had no time to react. Just a slight move forward and boom, dead. Up until this time I had no trouble with anything! Lots of health, an elemental shield that negates all magic damage(for the most part), and a constant aoe damage that was fairly powerful.

It was just a fluke thing that could have happened to any character on hardcore, regardless of how careful a person is. It's just something that happens so quickly that by the time you realize that you just lost 12 hours of play time, you're too pissed off to care.

Also, this was my 2nd death with a lvl 40+ char, and my 5th death with characters ranging from 22-54. I was even planning on staying in NM to Magic Find until i was fully geared and to provide aid to others, but one fluke death and it all comes crashing down.

What's a disgruntled nerd to do?

Binary

Liturgist
Guys, you are failing the patience check. Lvl 54 and almost at the end of act 3?

I'm lvl 45 and have just stopped leveling up in normal mode. As I said, that doesn't mean I won't get killed, but not in a rush to see it happen :P

Atrokkus

Erudite
normal baalruns (public or not) will easily get you to lvl45 (not much point going further in normal, tho). If you somehow manage to solo the entire difficulty in 8ppl mode (pretty much impossible in bnet, only in SP), you dont even need to replay areas or baalrun much, youll get nice levels very fast.

Xi

Arcane
Tristram runs to lvl 15 (2 hour)

Tomb runs in act 2 until lvl 20 (1 hour)

Cow runs until lvl 26 (1 hour)

Baal Council runs until lvl 45 (3 hours)

Goto NM(Can take longer if there are fewer games going - in normal it's even faster)

Repeat?

Ashery

Prophet
Not sure if NM A3 Council has abnormally large FE deaths, or that's when the damage just ramps up in general, but I also lost my 51 Pally there when he was 90+% hp. Was just fighting two mobs (minion + FE) at the time.

Also, I need some help in A2 Hell whenever someone can...After investing 200k gold (Either 80k or 120k in my merc, the rest in pots) and thirty minutes of my time, I made a total of zero progress on the fucking boss of Maggot's Lair.

Globbi's Necro would probably take thirty seconds tops to kill the fucking thing thanks to Bone Spear...

Xi

Arcane
Im playing normal now, that's what's up doc.(hardcore is for the schizophrenics amongst us! They are too delusional to realize they've already died multiple times and lost countless hours! It's like each toon is a new experience to these crazy fuckers!)

Globbi

Augur
Well, just lost level 82 necro Yzozio. Pretty fucked up. Vipers in Nihtlak temple did loads of dammage but I don't know how the hell one appeared near me, fucking lag teleportation...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I read somewhere Claw Vipers are bugged and do too much damage.

Globbi

Augur
Oh yeah, now I found it and read about it. I could have just got hit by single poison missle doing physical dammage 25 times in a second. Really deamn great.

Binary

Liturgist
Globbi said:
Well, just lost level 82 necro Yzozio. Pretty fucked up. Vipers in Nihtlak temple did loads of dammage but I don't know how the hell one appeared near me, fucking lag teleportation...

Why did you go kill Nihlatahk? Pindle is one of the best (if not the best) loot run in the entire game. If you finish that quest, the run is over.

Get the reward from different difficulty level...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The fun thing is, Hell Nihlatahk would likely have killed you anyway; if you just get hit by one single CE it might be over unless you have like 2000-3000 life if I remember correctly.

Also, my fun characters died. Who's up for making new ones? I just don't know what to play.

Binary said:
Why did you go kill Nihlatahk? Pindle is one of the best (if not the best) loot run in the entire game. If you finish that quest, the run is over.
I don't believe that's exactly true. As I recall, if you get the waypoint in the area (Halls of Pain or something), the portal closes. Until then, it will be available.

I'm still trudging along with my level 80 Fire and Wind Druid. I've done most of Hell solo, and while its been painful in some places, I haven't had too many problems. I have the waypoints up to the Ancients in Act 5, but I think I'm going to try leveling a bit before trying to take them on.

Jasede said:
I read somewhere Claw Vipers are bugged and do too much damage.
Is it the Claw Vipers in certain areas? I've fought many (in the Crystalline Passage, if I remember right), and haven't found them to be too nasty. Personally, I'm having much more difficulty with the Frenzy Minotaur guys.

Jasede said:
Also, my fun characters died. Who's up for making new ones? I just don't know what to play.
I might be interested in starting another character, as it seems I'm more or less alone in Hell now. I'd probably try an Assassin, mostly using Fire Blast and/or Blade Fury.

Micmu

Magister
ARGH! Fuck Diablo's lag lightning!!!!!!!!!11111111
FUCK FUCK
Jasede said:
Yeah, me. I need a day or two to recover. :(
---
Micmu a.k.a. Khangollo a.k.a. Dyrfinna

Binary

Liturgist
OK I might make a new char to play at low levels with you then...

Maybe my turn to create a sumonning druid? :)

Micmu

Magister
So where are you "noob" guys now? I'm pretty much alone on Normal right now (Act 2), Globbi already finished it.

Globbi

Augur
Jasede said:
The fun thing is, Hell Nihlatahk would likely have killed you anyway; if you just get hit by one single CE it might be over unless you have like 2000-3000 life if I remember correctly.
It's enough to explode corpses first + my prisions would lure monsters to the room before Nihlathak. I don't know why would any CE hit me.
Is it the Claw Vipers in certain areas? I've fought many (in the Crystalline Passage, if I remember right), and haven't found them to be too nasty. Personally, I'm having much more difficulty with the Frenzy Minotaur guys.
It's Tomb Vipers that are only near Nihlatahk. I had no problems with any creatures at all including those vipers. I easily cleared half of the Halls of Vought and simply one of the vipers suddenly killed me. Hierophants with zealots in the same temple took quite much time and their blizzards were annoying but it wasn't really hard.

Ashery

Prophet
I was out of town for the weekend, hence not being online with my summoning druid. Still alive and in A2 Hell (Or did I start A3?), but it's becoming a pain in the ass to solo so I'm not playing as often. Can't farm Countess well in Hell either, at least until I get the runeword bow with the Amp Damage proc...Fucking physical immunes...

Bi, what subspec will you be going with your summoner? I'd advise against wind personally...Tornado's a pain in the ass to control and is physical damage. Leaving you with Hurricane and Artic Blast for non-physical damage. Hurricane also loses a bit of it's utility in Hell as well...The slow/freeze doesn't last nearly as long.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I try to play very rarely since this game is quite addictive. Furthermore, I haven't decided on a character yet.

A pure summoning Druid is generally very difficult, and often considered not viable in Hell due to only really dealing Physical damage and the number of Physical Immunes. I've heard there's a bug with Poison Creeper, where it can do *a lot* more than the listed damage in certain situations, but I don't really know much about the specifics.

Usually, summoners will either expand into the Elemental tree or the Shape Shifter tree. The fire elemental branch, in this instance, is much more effective than wind, since wind really only offers Hurricane and Arctic Blast, and both offer a relatively minor amount of cold damage. Fissure and Volcano synergize one another, and are pretty effective. Shape Shifters will often use Werebear and Shockwave for the stun and crowd control.

Another possibility is to pick up a bow and start firing. A pretty cheap option is to look for a socketed bow (6 is best) and throw in some perfect gems or runes, like Topaz, Eth runes, and/or Ort runes. It may be possible to find a bow or weapon with a chance to cast Amplify Damage on attacking, so that could be something to look out for. I think I've seen some wands in shops with it.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I'm just surprized to read about so many bugs in D2. After years or patching I would have expected it to be rather bug-free...

I don't think I'll continue my necro right now.

spacemoose

Erudite
I was planning on killing you all once I hit about lvl50, but it got so mind numbingly boring that I gave up

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom