Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So here's the deleted first Deadfire review

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Why was it deleted, too much of an obvious shill effort?

Generic-Giant-Spider

"Reinvigorating a genre that had fallen by the wayside for years with an original setting, well-designed dungeons, and captivating quests."

88bbf7e6cd299e56a1fd12ffdb098a43-650-80.jpg

fobia

Golem's conclusion:
Genervt haben uns auf Dauer die Seeschlachten, weil uns die über Texte und Grafiken ausgetragenen Duelle viel zu abstrakt sind. Meist haben wir deshalb einfach die naheliegenden Optionen angeklickt. Die Kämpfe dauern dann mit etwas Pech zwar sehr lange, aber in Normalfall haben wir so gewonnen. Wenn wir doch mal baden gegangen sind, haben wir halt zum Savegame gegriffen.

Translation:
We were annoyed by the sea battles in the long rung, because the battles' representation in texts and graphics were way to abstract for us. Therefore we just clicked the obvious options most of the time. If you're unlucky the fights can really drag on, but usually we won that way. When we turned belly-up nevertheless, we just reloaded [until succesful].

Wow. PC Games and Gamestar seem like high quality gaming magazines in comparison. :D

Although the Gamestar article is strikinly shallow even for their standards. It's been years since I last read a print edition of them, but I remember it being a bit better. Might be nostalgia though.

That's the only criticism I found while scanning through the Golem article by the way.

Edit. Oh yeah, they say that the inventory could be better as well, seems to be too confusing for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

fobia

Gamestar's conclusion:
Haben die Entwickler mit Pillars of Eternity noch in bekannten Gewässern gefischt, haben sie sich jetzt wirklich (pardon) auf das offene Meer hinaus gewagt. Denn Pillars of Eternity 2 fühlt sich nicht mehr nur nach Baldur's Gate oder nostalgischer Erinnerung an. Es ist zu einem eigenen Spiel herangewachsen, das munter das Genre um neue und clevere Ideen bereichert.

Fantastisch ist für mich vor allem, wie groß die spielerische Freiheit geschrieben wird. Ich kann meinen Helden und seine Gefährten zusammenbasteln wie ich will, und dann jede Quest auf ganz unterschiedliche Weise angehen. Ich war beim Spielen immer wieder verblüfft, was alles funktioniert und auf wie viele meiner früheren Aktionen Pillars 2 im Story-Verlauf Bezug nimmt. Nichts bleibt ohne Folgen! Mein persönliches Highlight ist aber die gelungene Freibeuter-Stimmung. Gerade durch das eigene Schiff habe ich mich so sehr als Pirat und Entdecker gefühlt, wie seit Assassin's Creed: Black Flag nicht mehr. Und hey, es gibt Shantys!

Translation:
While the developers were fishing in known waters with Pillars of Eternity, they now really (pardon me) dared to go to the open sea. Because PoE 2 doesn't feel like just another Baldur's Gate or a nostalgic memory anymore. It's grown in to a distinct game which cheerfully enhances the genre with new and clever ideas.

To me it was fantastic how much importance was attached to player's choices. I can piece together my hero and his companions how I want and then tackle each quest in very different ways. While playing I was amazed how (well) everything works and how many of my earlier choices (not clear whether these are in-game or PoE choices) are referred to later in Deadfire's story. Nothing remains without consquences! But my personal highlight is the well-made privateer-atmosphere. By having a ship of my own I seldomly felt as much of a pirate and explorer ever since Assasin's Creed: Black Flag. And hey, there's shanties!

Beastro

Arcane
Ship battles sound like an abstract version of Countdown to Doomsdays ship fights (which too could drag on for fucking forever).

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
9.5/potato :d1p:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom