Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Hellion

Arcane
Inane Twitch streamers who play co-op were probably part of the reason. Same reason that games like PUBG and Fortnite are so big right now.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
PUBG and Fortnite are not popular only for twitch. It's not hard to see why the battle royale formula succeeds with average gamers, it's competitive, short and intense. Combining some of the popular elements from stuff like arena shooters, cover shooters, mobas etc.

Divos' success is really just filling a vacuum that nobody knew existed.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ok for people having problem with Aloth's reputation shit,a console command.

CompanionAddRelationship Companion_Aloth(Clone) Player_Name positive major 1
Just copy and paste it,then change the name with your character's name,also you a capital first word.......or maybe it is depending on the way you wrote your name. Anyway you just have to spam it a few times to see what the effect. If you want to effect other companions just change their name in the command. :salute:

Sentinel

Arcane
I saw that table claiming all companions are bi. So I went ahead and decided to ask Edér if he's a flaming homosexual.
He did not disappoint.

unknown.png

Seethe

Arbiter
It really puzzles me how that awful game sold so much.

Marketing sells the game, not the quality of the game itself. Larian did a great job at it, Obsidian sucked at it. I don't mind, since the money went into a better game instead.

I pirated PoE 2, played for a bit, concluded that it's a lot better than the first. And I bought it just now.

2house2fly

Magister
Abydon doesn't look nearly robotic enough. It would be cool if they had different art for him depending on how WM2 ended

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm going to interrupt what is no doubt some high quality discussion regarding the merits or lack-thereof of Deadfire (I mean this with the utmost sincerity), to bring you this slice of female entitlement from the Obsidian forums https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/97310-companions-and-romance/page-13
I dont think anyone is saying Obsidian mislead us about being able to romance Eder specifically. However, they chose to include romamces and also chose to deliberately exclude him and gave a lame excuse in game too. Hes the obvious choice for a romamce and a lot of people wanted and expected it. I honestly dont think it matters what the writer wanted to write. This is a product for consumers, who also happen to be backing the developmemt.
If you have a female character and want a straight romance what are your options. Serafen isnt a full romance, Tekehu was in my party literally 5 minutes and I already hate him. And Aloth? I feel like that would be like romancing my brother. I only see him as a really good friend to the watcher. Eder should have been included because its the only one that makes sense or gives straight females a decent option considering he kind of hit on you in the first game too.

Props to Josh and Eric for apparently being the only writers to draw their lines in the sand and say no to romances and bisexuality, even if Eric is partially responsible for this current crop of writers being what it is.

Cross

Arcane
Props to Josh and Eric for apparently being the only writers to draw their lines in the sand and say no to romances and bisexuality, even if Eric is partially responsible for this current crop of writers being what it is.
:philosoraptor:

Props for what? Josh is the narrative lead, he approved of the writers making everyone bisexual.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Props for what? Josh is the narrative lead, he approved of the other writers making everyone bisexual.
Josh's official stance was "I let the individual writers do what they wanted to with their characters with regard to romance/sexuality." He washed his hands of it.

There probably would have been a riot at Obsidian if he told them there were too many gays, too much pandering.

Sentinel

Arcane
I'm going to interrupt what is no doubt some high quality discussion regarding the merits or lack-thereof of Deadfire (I mean this with the utmost sincerity), to bring you this slice of female entitlement from the Obsidian forums https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/97310-companions-and-romance/page-13
I dont think anyone is saying Obsidian mislead us about being able to romance Eder specifically. However, they chose to include romamces and also chose to deliberately exclude him and gave a lame excuse in game too. Hes the obvious choice for a romamce and a lot of people wanted and expected it. I honestly dont think it matters what the writer wanted to write. This is a product for consumers, who also happen to be backing the developmemt.
If you have a female character and want a straight romance what are your options. Serafen isnt a full romance, Tekehu was in my party literally 5 minutes and I already hate him. And Aloth? I feel like that would be like romancing my brother. I only see him as a really good friend to the watcher. Eder should have been included because its the only one that makes sense or gives straight females a decent option considering he kind of hit on you in the first game too.

Well, this is the kind of people you bring in when you announce romances. Can't be too surprised tbh.

2house2fly

Magister
I saw that table claiming all companions are bi. So I went ahead and decided to ask Edér if he's a flaming homosexual.
He did not disappoint.

Someone else said he hits on Aloth's alter ego. They even found a way to make the one straight male in the game gay :negative:
If he is attracted to both men and women then he is bisexual, not gay. How is this so difficult to understand

Hellion

Arcane
These instances with the player talking to the gods really reminded me of King of Dragon Pass heroquest artwork, truly superb.

duanth123

Arcane
Props for what? Josh is the narrative lead, he approved of the other writers making everyone bisexual.
Josh's official stance was "I let the individual writers do what they wanted to with their characters with regard to romance/sexuality." He washed his hands of it.

There probably would have been a riot at Obsidian if he told them there were too many gays, too much pandering.

He could have simply told them, "No romances."

But that may have lead to an honest discussion with words like "nuance", "talent", and "actual writing experience" being thrown around, so I understand why he didn't.

I would even go so far as to say the inclusion of dollar store romances in POE 2 is a indicator of how little Obsidian regards writing as a current strength/asset for the company.

Which is so contrary to the popular conception (or at least a sizeable portion thereof) of Obsidian as to be believably the result of Obsidian's poor management decisions.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If he is attracted to both men and women then he is bisexual, not gay. How is this so difficult to understand
This is a "Is liking traps gay?" question which is a forever-war. Eder isn't into men in the slightest, but he does dig Iselmyr, who was a biological woman who happens to now be inhabiting the body of a biological man, so he's willing to overlook that.

Trashos

Arcane
Tbh, Eder *is* the extremely obvious choice for a straight female player's romance. That's the kind of guy normal straight females look for, and this is probably obvious to everyone. So I can see where she is coming from. It is as if they included a pretty non-slutty straight female companion, and then said "you know what, this is the only one you can't romance".

That's his official excuse, but I am not buying it. Like, at all.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
He did not disappoint.

Someone else said he hits on Aloth's alter ego. They even found a way to make the one straight male in the game gay :negative:
He's explicitly straight you doofus. But they still found a way to subvert that and get him doing gay shit, because god forbid there's one non-paraphiliac in the cast.

Trashos

Arcane
This is a "Is liking traps gay?" question which is a forever-war. Eder isn't into men in the slightest, but he does dig Iselmyr, who was a biological woman who happens to now be inhabiting the body of a biological man, so he's willing to overlook that.

Roguey, are you good with metaphors? If it is true that Eder is into Iselmyr (I haven't seen this proved), then he is into "a woman who is hiding inside a man". Try to use your abstract thinking a bit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom