Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview EuroGamer fire Gerry Anderson broadside at Fallout 3

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

EuroGamer (seemingly not content with <a href="http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=25410">pegging Dragon Age down a notch</a>) have <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=201105">delivered a full broadside at Fallout 3</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Visually, Fallout 3 is unremittingly bleak. So it should be, although you have to wonder if there will be enough variation in this vast wasteland to sustain interest. But let's give Bethesda's artists the benefit of the doubt on that count, because unfortunately the game has much more tangible shortcomings to take them to task on: the flat, sterile lighting, the excessive contrast, the feeble effects (excepting the mini-nuke explosions of wrecked cars' power units) and, worst by far, the hilariously, embarrassingly wooden animation.
<br>
<br>
This was a weakness of Oblivion's, too, but it's even more jarring in Fallout 3. The game presents itself in the first-person perspective, but you can pull the camera out to quite a distant third-person viewpoint and move it in full 3D. This means you can examine your character's Gerry Anderson jerking and flailing from any angle; we'd recommend you don't. Unfortunately, you can't help but observe the erratic path-finding, motionless trances and limp movements of the few enemies you encounter this early in the game. You simply can't invoke the visual style of an action game and get away with this stuff.
<br>
<br>
But beyond that, there are simple questions of quality that it's impossible to avoid: characterless art, cold visuals, wonky animation, weak real-time combat, off-kilter writing. As it stands, Fallout 3 just doesn't feel right, and it will leave many players shivering for warmth in its nuclear winter.</blockquote>
<br>
Not to worry, I'm sure they were just infiltrated by NMA and Fallout 3 really is shaping up to be Game of the Year. Honest.
<br>
<br>
<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Anderson">Thunderbirds are go</a>!
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Dandelion</b>!

Texas Red

Whiner
Yet another retarded previewer complaining only about teh grafix. It's good that we get a batch of negative previews but cmon, they are as stupid as the cock slobbering ones.

aron searle

Arcane
How dare they smear "the gods of gaming" bethsueyou, it's completly unproffesional to make such judgements on 30 mins of play.

Clearly this is the GAME OF 2008, and this is obvios after only 30 seconds of play, fucking hacks!

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Dark Individual said:
Yet another retarded previewer complaining only about teh grafix. It's good that we get a batch of negative previews but cmon, they are as stupid as the cock slobbering ones.
Do you need them to tell you gameplay, story and roleplaying suck, or that there aren't any C&C?
I can do it.
Gameplay, story and roleplaying suck, and there are no C&C.
Happy now?

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
What I'm afraid of is the reviewers embracing these graphical criticisms and then saying Bethesda "made the right decision by foregoing graphics for classic old school gameplay." I can just see people talking about how the graphics don't matter because of the "old school feel" which will be even worse than the game just getting 10's across the board.

Lumpy said:
aron searle said:
Dark Individual said:
Yet another retarded previewer complaining only about teh grafix. .

characterless art, weak real-time combat, off-kilter writing

Going for the double dumfuck again are we?
He's a triple dumbfuck, look closer.

ooo where did this happen? or did someone just say, "enough."

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In the first 30 mins you can only really see the grafiks and the combat.

He also talks about boring Writing, bad art direction and a lot of junk like that.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Talk too much about dialogue or surroundings and you'll get Tom Chick screaming yours is a smear piece.

Gromnir

Liturgist
am not familiar with how eurogamer rated oblivion, 'cause it sounds as if fo3 suffers from exact same problems. fact that you can pull back camera pov makes flaws more obvious, but...

actually, Gromnir didn't like anything 'bout oblivion. scaling didn't bother us as much as it did codexians, but we thinks the scaling shoulda' had basements and ceilings. that being said, we didn't like visuals. didn't like combat. didn't like retardo dialogue wheel and absence o' noteworthy storytelling. didn't like broken mechanic for increasing skillz. didn't like generic sameness o' world. didn't even like the horsies. so, given fact that we didn't like anything 'bout oblivion, and fo3 clearly gots much in common with oblivion, it would make sense that Gromnir would be dubious 'bout likelihood that we could enjoy fo3.

'course, one wonders how eurogamer felt 'bout oblivion... 'cause if they not blast oblivion for same obvious flaws...

*shrug*

am not so much caring 'bout the graphics stuff. after all, the original fo games were appealing in an ugly sorta way. groovy-keen graphics not seem to be a pre-req for fo appeal. am gonna wait to hear more 'bout gameplay stuff 'fore we write fo3 off as just another oblivion.

HA! Good Fun!

elander_

Arbiter
The answers to that article aren't very optimistic either.

"Oh gosh, another victim of the hype machine??? "

"yikes!
damn, I was looking forward to this. do they have time to er, fix it?"

"Having watched the E3 trailers and material, the preview sounds about right. Not quite sure where the enthusiasm many show is coming from."

"Wow, far more negative than I'd expected. Still, given that I'm brokey broke broke, I'm not going to be too unhappy if it's gash....
""Not quite sure where the enthusiasm many show is coming from.""
In the media? Probably along the lines of "want an exclusive preview? Here, have this, sign this, and write this when you're done. Ta ta-a!""

"Oh well, at least there are other games coming out that might be good..."

"i thought this game looked incredibly dull when shown in the MS press conference, although coming from the people behind oblivion i'm not surprised."

"No, I meant more the reaction of gamers to the E3 trailers - some people were positively creaming themselves. I thought the combat looked a bit dubious, and rather sterile despite their gore-em-up efforts."

What a fucking beating. There's 99 more of that.

Mareus

Magister
Eurogamer said:
Conversation and bartering are two aspects of the game that we regretfully don't get anywhere near experiencing at E3, but given Bethesda's record and Fallout's history, we'd expect them to have some serious depth and reward, and we're looking forward to examining them more closely.

Given Bethseda's record I think you were not given conversations for a reason.

Zomg

Arbiter
Gromnir said:
am not familiar with how eurogamer rated oblivion, 'cause it sounds as if fo3 suffers from exact same problems.

Perfect 10. Different reviewer than this guy, though.

Letum Fol

Novice
Aren't these the guys who gave Oblivion 10/10. Plus Lady Killer is one of the few interesting perks in FO3, but of course the european wankers have to gay and politically correct.

Solaris

Scholar
Eurogamer are probably going through a guilt trip about giving Oblivion a 10/10

Self inflicted karma perhaps...?

Gromnir

Liturgist
Claw said:
I note that Oli Welsh has written both the Dragon Age and Fallout 3 previews. Coincidence?

coincidence? no. commonsense. how many people you thinks eurogamer is gonna send to e3? am guessing that it ain't many.

in any event, would be fun to see if oli is willing to throw fellow eurogamer reviewers under the bus for their perfect 10.

HA! Good Fun!

Dhruin

Liturgist
Brother None said:
Talk too much about dialogue or surroundings and you'll get Tom Chick screaming yours is a smear piece.

Lucky, then, that this preview doesn't actually talk about dialogue at all other than a fleeting reference at the end.

*Yawn*

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Zomg said:
Perfect 10. Different reviewer than this guy, though.

That's no excuse. Sucky editorial policy is bad.

Claw said:
I note that Oli Welsh has written both the Dragon Age and Fallout 3 previews. Coincidence?

Maybe he hates RPGs?

Dhruin said:
Lucky, then, that this preview doesn't actually talk about dialogue at all other than a fleeting reference at the end.

*Yawn*

Yawn?

I was commentating on others comments on lack of dialogue descriptions in this preview with a stab at Tom Chick's...uh...malformed attitude, y'know.

User was nabbed fit

What'll likely happen: Beth will contact Eurogamer, and let's put it this way... it won't be this guy who'll be doing the review come this Autumn. In fact they'll probably even have a couple of lines about how 'we at Eurogamer were so wrong with our first impression'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom