Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
So I've build myself custom PoE1 world status for the 2nd run, and I guess I must have pissed of Pallegina because refuses to join me entirely.
Nah dunnworry she'll join later even if she goes all putaaa on you.

Yeah, quite possible. Well I met her in the docks and she refused. Then I went and triggered mission with the queen and Pallegina wasn't there either. It would be cool reactivity from the first game is she was just unavailable, but I have a hard time beveling they went that far.

Yeah that's normal. She'll be in the VTC hq though. Then you can tell her to fuck off definitely.
The VTC asks her help after the palace meeting bc she knows the watcher or smthg.

Now you'd be a bro if you could play with Tekehu Pallegina and maia in the party and report on how much they fight or not.
I reckon they should.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Hey hey people, just popping in for a shitpost.

2mx086x.png

KateMicucci

Arcane
The more I play, the more I despise this putrid, generic pile of shit of a universe, this game and it's predecesor just don't have souls, just empty shells filled with garbage writing. Jesus christ, how can you come up with such a boring world, filled with so many uninteresting races, conflicts, names and everything else for that matter. Every time I see an NPC spouting those made up bullshit words ''Ac!!!, Ekera ,Acccc,Ekera,ACCC Ekera'', oh lord please just end my suffering already. I can't go on anymore, it was the same problem with the first game, I just can't continue to play in this farce of a universe. Fuck this game and fuck Obsidian, these hacks won't see a penny from me ever again.

You're 100% right. But what is it, exactly, that makes the POE universe so boring and repulsive? I can't figure it out.

Is it the lack of anything actually "cool"? There's not a single original idea, just old ideas spelled funny. "Fampyre"... seriously?

Or it could be that there's no sympathetic or badass factions that make you think, "I want to be on THEIR side". NV had that, and the NCR Ranger on the cover art probably earned a lot of sales on his own. Skyrim didn't have much going storywise but could start debates on whether the stormcloaks or imperials were in the right. Even in Tyranny, from the little I played before giving up from the shit combat, the Red Chorus and legion guys both seemed interesting.

And POE doesn't even have a single character who looks exciting. Seeing a companion portrait gallery, there's nobody to make a player think "I want to play as THAT guy". Compare to companion galleries of PST or even BG2. Again, even Skyrim's generic male warrior with the horned helmet has appeal. Who is the mascot of POE? For somebody browsing Steam who's never heard of Obsidian or BG before, who's going to draw their eye? Eder, with his doofus grin and ugly scale armor? The little green cat man? Or Aloth, with no distinctive features whatsoever?

Matticus

Educated
Wanted to just drop in and say that I've never played more than an hour of an Obsidian game besides Pillars I & II (although I did enjoy FO2 back in the day). I'll get around to playing FNV one of these days, I promise!

On to the good parts:

Both Pillars games have been buggy beyond belief and I've had to resort to copious amounts of console cheating to make my character the way he should be based on their own rules. Afraid to say that I think the masochist part of me actually enjoys it. I look forward to figuring out their game rules, finding that my character has a buff that won't time out, and then playing God and dialing it back. To be fair to their programmers, inventory and attribute systems are difficult to implement and who has time for game state validation?

In the first game I had to resort to all kinds of devious, immersion-breaking tactics to win fights. With hundreds of nearly identical and seemingly pointless spells, it was fun to sift through the possibilities! In the end, stacking infinite priest seals or pulling them out of the room one at a time won out. My favorite memory was when I spent 20 minutes running around in circles with my ranger shooting a dragon with boots of speed.

With PoE2 I was hoping that setting it to PotD would provide me with a punishing game that not only had resource management issues but a challenging combat system with bugs that were actively trying to delete my skills and saves. It only half delivered at best. Apparently I set my hopes too high with this one.

P.S. I'm also a kleptomaniac and hope that a game figures out how to properly punish me for it because, as everyone knows, the rush is directly proportional to the risk.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
You're 100% right. But what is it, exactly, that makes the POE universe so boring and repulsive? I can't figure it out.

Is it the lack of anything actually "cool"? There's not a single original idea, just old ideas spelled funny. "Fampyre"... seriously?

Or it could be that there's no sympathetic or badass factions that make you think, "I want to be on THEIR side". NV had that, and the NCR Ranger on the cover art probably earned a lot of sales on his own. Skyrim didn't have much going storywise but could start debates on whether the stormcloaks or imperials were in the right. Even in Tyranny, from the little I played before giving up from the shit combat, the Red Chorus and legion guys both seemed interesting.

And POE doesn't even have a single character who looks exciting. Seeing a companion portrait gallery, there's nobody to make a player think "I want to play as THAT guy". Compare to companion galleries of PST or even BG2. Again, even Skyrim's generic male warrior with the horned helmet has appeal. Who is the mascot of POE? For somebody browsing Steam who's never heard of Obsidian or BG before, who's going to draw their eye? Eder, with his doofus grin and ugly scale armor? The little green cat man? Or Aloth, with no distinctive features whatsoever?

YMMV I suppose. I slogged 45 hours through BG1 and thought it was pretty poor. Multi-level mines full of massed groups of trash mobs (kobolds early game, shapeshifters late game), tedious pre-buffing, spell spa(s)m combat, noober and many other extremely boring npcs, generic high fantasy setting, little to no C&C. BG2 clearly is an improvement but a lot of what there is not to like about BG1 remains.

I liked Pillars a lot more. An actual plot, companions that actually have something to say, some choice and consequence, decent dungeons with reasonable encounters which got better after 2.0 and 3.0 (still not the world's biggest fan of RTwP though). For me, Pillars 1 was massive incline over BG1.

Anyway, does anyone except strawmen really buy random games by browsing steam and clicking on things that have cool pictures? If that person does exist I just don't think they are Pillar's target market and Pillar's sales seemed to survive that.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Maybe dumbfuck is ranked above Obsidian Entertainment developer tag, who knows ?
:negative: Today is not my day, mustard. stole deadfire/dos chart joke in the "Deadfire sells like caramelized shit" thread,now you took the dev joke a little bit before me. All that is left is some mode giving him the dumbfuck tag,this will put the final nail.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Pretty sure every companion is bi because they couldn't be damned to check the pc's gender.
If you can save yourself some extra writing and scripting while parading as a champion of inclusiveness, it's an easy choice.

2house2fly

Magister
Everything in the real world is named after something, who cares. If Tekehu puts a slice of lagufaeth meat between two slices of bread, let's just call it a sandwich

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Let me say this again: Obsidian is not only trying to make a BG2 clone, but they are also trying to become a clone of Bioware itself (see the types of writers they hired, the types of romances, etc.). But they can't do that right. It turns out that making the right kind of cringe biowarian feel it is not so easy was people would expect.

Jezal_k23

So Bioware has the very special talent of writing the cringiest, most awful, most awkward, most soul crushing romances that nonetheless attract a massive, very dedicated audience, and Obsidian just doesn't have this skill? Isn't that a good thing? Maybe Obsidian's butchered attempts don't reach quite the same level of cringe as Bioware would.

Btw from what I've seen, MEA is the top cringe Bioware has ever produced, so if anything they are consistently getting better at awful writing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom