Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

I don't understand how anyone can like this game beyond a 5/10 at best.

Easy combat (that is somehow still a massive clusterfuck at times) with only one encounter that could be called difficult because of ~5 or so fampyrs and worse protections. Still finished it first go without much of an issue on whatever difficulty is before PotD. "End boss" was a fucking joke just like the first game (seriously, what the hell???) There wasn't a single interesting encounter -- read: not just run in gib everything with auto-attacks and some light micromanagement -- in the entire game. I may have missed one if it exists.
Ship combat is terrible and ship customization doesn't seem to matter. Jibe, shoot, jibe, shoot...
Neketaka is really fucking fun, can't bash that one. At least some faction interaction and it's gigantic compared to the flaccid cities of the first game. Old City crawl is actually not bad.
Faction stuff seems bugged. Tried to go down the Huana path but the game never really acknowledged that in the endgame. Could have missed some dialogue in my quest to avoid reading the shit plastered on my screen.
Save import broke at first, then seemed to fix itself? My bird-lady and Eder results weren't correct at the beginning of the game but then Eder mentioned being a mayor and the birdlady was suddenly exiled again. Really don't know what that's about. Companions suck, anyways.
Reputation is too easy to cap, doesn't seem to matter anyways, and being able to change your character completely between 1 and 2 without many ramifications bores me.
Island "dungeons" are a joke. Too many islands have nothing but x51 water to add to your stash of 15000 that you bought because the economy breaks after your first ship combat victory and never recovers.

RTWP combat should have died with the Infinity Engine
Also, memory leak, alt+tab issues, random CTD that I can't seem to replicate, probably more shit I didn't encounter

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The backer beta was 4 hours, was gifted to me and I thought I'd give some feedback. It's not comparable to a full release that is still in beta.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Just replaying BG and the banter between companions is so much better

Just listen to these, then go back to PoE and ask yourself, why is the PoE party as dry as a 80yo cunt?

And then you got this

So dry, no amount of lube is going to get this party going.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wait what, even PoE2's banter has prose? The fuck?
Old.
8UEANP5.jpg

Jezal_k23

I think that every recent PST inspired game has learned the wrong lesson from it. They seem to know nothing about it beyond "there was a lot of text", so they overload them with prose.

PST never felt like it was consciously "trying" to do anything, while games like TTON are trying SO HARD to be like PST. The difference is that it succeeded in a way that felt effortless while all recent PST inspired games have felt very forced thus far.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Maia VA is like Google Maps GPS voice, consistently monotonous and devoid of emotion. Did they pay her with a bag of peanuts and unpublished Sawyer novella, because the effort appears rock bottom.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I think that every recent PST inspired game has learned the wrong lesson from it. They seem to know nothing about it beyond "there was a lot of text", so they overload them with prose.

PST never felt like it was consciously "trying" to do anything, while games like TTON are trying SO HARD to be like PST. The difference is that it succeeded in a way that felt effortless while all recent PST inspired games have felt very forced thus far.
I think the core of their misunderstanding lies in the fact that they probably didn't play it. So when they're told "there's a lot of text" by third clueless parts, they imagine walls of description and shit.
But pst wasn't like that. There is a lot of text in total, yeah. But there's a lot of characters, and most of them do their own strange stuff that simply require more words to communicate than a peasant who wants his pigs back.

Pretty sure that's a fair theory regarding poe's loredumps + heavy-handed style. They want to put a tonne of text in their game, as to try to stick to poe's kickstarter promise (bg+iwd+pst all in one !!1!), but the material isn't suited for that. At all. So all they could do was explore, in lengthy details, characters whose background was contained on a post-it. Hence why it's so heavy-handed. Hence why everyone is so eager to let us know about their organization/city/family/country/whatever the fuck can bloat the word count.
Also why I think durance (never liked gm) feels different. I actually feel like, despite him having three times more shit to say, he's actually communicating more than lore. Sounded like he was passionate about his stuff and all.

frajaq

Erudite
Just replaying BG and the banter between companions is so much better

Just listen to these, then go back to PoE and ask yourself, why is the PoE party as dry as a 80yo cunt?

So dry, no amount of lube is going to get this party going.

Man I miss evil/ruthless companions in this game. Even PoE 1 had Durance/Devil.

Closest thing we have is Maia with her assassination missions but even she feels kinda bad about them
We have Dark Side Xoti but you have to really push her towards that path

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
All companions could've been influenced by your dispositions, like KotOR2, and act according to their personality. Alas.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Ruthless-evil content is just as crap as its good binary opposite.

You just think it will be better for the feeling of novelty and idiotic low ego mastubration. But it isnt.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah, it reminds me of playing AoD on launch.
Yeah, that's why you have so many negative reviews of AoD mentioning bugs, right?

Didn't you and Goral stalk GoG and Steam review pages 24h/7, downvoting and starting drama in the comments under every negative review? Oh snap.

You didn't really think this through, did you. :lol:

Just because you want to say whatever goes through to your head, doesn't make it true.

And just because your lifetime dream is to suck VD's dick, doesn't mean AoD wasn't broken on launch. Everything after Teron was completely fucked and the state of Ganezzar in particular was absolutely pitiful.

And no, I didn't have a problem with AoD bugs then, and I don't have a problem with Deadfire bugs now. If you want games with open-ended structure and quest design, that's the price I'm happy to pay.

Of course, that's just my preference, because I'm actually interested in playing good RPGs, whereas the only reason you even sit on this forum is because no one else around you is interested in your retarded opinions.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

You just think it will be better for the feeling of novelty and idiotic low ego mastubration. But it isnt.

It's about having nuance. It makes sense to have options for companions who are ruthless in a setting like deadfire where piracy is rampant and colonisation is underway. It necessarily attracts opportunistic people.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Oh come on, I will trade the entire PoE party for Edwin Sarevok or Viconia in heart beat and I'll gladly listen to them masturbate.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm genuinely curious why he thinks the game is good/fun

my tl;dr so far after 30 hours and 'clearing' tikitaka is more or less: it's storm of zehir's bigger but kind of retarded cousin

as shadenaut put it, it's fun to cruise around, kill random passers-by and take their loot

but for all quest/story matters you are highly recommended to put your brain on autopilot and click 1 until quest/dialogue is resolved

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom