Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
2HKCwsS.gif

spekkio

Arcane
Enemies are not only evil, but also rude!

YTnUTkQ.jpg

rating_rage.gif

Holy Knights to the rescue!

0uNvUCK.jpg

(Yeah, right. They are fucking useless... :roll: )

Vg91nPm.jpg

:bounce:

yOxhJvb.jpg

It looks like Yunica has a "special relationship" with the Godesses indeed.

0XvveDU.jpg

:yurialert:

Judging by her boobs' size, enemy wizerd must be truly evil!

RVSw53m.jpg

(She is. :obviously: )

Let's teach the bitch some manners:

dwWOw4W.jpg

rating_rage.gif

"Simplistic weeboo area design":

rxbZawp.jpg

:incline:

Time to take out the trash:

pz4DOGU.jpg

2mFWXc6.jpg

79zedDW.jpg

Shit just got real!

HansDampf

Arcane
4l7nyxY.png

"Alpha 1, stick to your mission objectives!"
:hmmm:

n25yP11.png

PMGaJ2x.png

Let's not jump to any conclusions. Maybe they just need some private time.

OSF0o4Q.png

Looks pretty cool when your wingmen try to stay in formation. You can even lead them into cruisers. Idiots.

OsCYqQj.png

Helping the innocent.

mc2Myse.png

Restoring peace.

Z4qei1Q.png

Fighting terrorism.

oKGHMSB.png

Access to advanced technology.

oS6QQIG.png

Career opportunities.

Q6sjyvT.png

Turns out the Empire isn't so evil after all.

20180526235435_197pem.jpg

20180526235044_1urrb6.jpg

There's no way to turn off this fucking godawful border. Other than that, Raiden IV is pretty good. Not nearly as good as the best games in the series (DX, Raiden Fighters series, RFJ), but it's better than both Raiden III (which was too simple) and Raiden V (which seems like it was made for popamole weeabos).

Endemic

Arcane
Fucking Breeders...

Heh. Sylvia's a good character gameplay-wise, but...

She's a horrible mother. Leaves her kids in an orphanage and disappears.

Alec's going to get barbequed (along with about 50% of the party) in a few chapters, so this is about as good as it gets for them.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Alone in the Dark 4 : The New Nightmare.

After purchasing the GOG quadrilogy I finally had to finish this part, since I only had a chance to play a demo long time ago. To my surprise, there is no need for custom patches and fixes. Game is powered by Nocturne engine, which was used in Nocturne (duh) and Blair Witch trilogy. I must say, that this is one of the best looking survival horrors with static backgrounds, and have consistent style. Plus we've got widescreen resolutions and no crashes at all. The bad thing, is that soundtrack was converted from Dreamcast version, and you can hear that music has some quality issues. Too bad, because some of the tracks are really good.

In New Nightmare we investigate Shadow Island, either by controlling detective Edward Carnby (no mustaches, but long hair though) or Aline Cedrace, who is a scientist. The intro explains the plot in a short time manner, and our heroes are quickly divided. It's good to start with Edward's path, because the whole island and the mansion can be overwhelming at first. Plus he is better suited for combat, having a revolver from the beginning. Aline starts on the roof and has no weapons, and it will take some time before we find one. The only option is to escape from the enemies at the beginning.

The gameplay is a standard mix of action and puzzles. We investigate different places, gather clues and try to solve a riddle occasionally. Most of the time they aren't frustrating, although just like in an adventure game, it's good to do a slow reconnaissance when we enter a new location. There is also a lot of reading to do, mostly just lore elements, but eventually we will find something more. Combat is really simple, and the interface which was always a problem when it comes to the series is fantastic. What I found really cool, is how some monsters react to the flashlight. The bestiary is big enough to keep you occupied, and in Aline's scenario we have a Nemesis like monster as well to deal with.

Instead of ink ribbons we have save gems, which we can use at any time. The enemies are respawning in some of the parts of the game, so don't bother cleaning the whole floor and do it, because you just lost a lot of ammo. And speaking of ammunition, there are some good weapons that will give you an upper hand, and totally useless (rocket launcher with almost no ammo for example).

Overall, it felt really good to finish both scenarios. Edward and Aline communicate with each other through radio, and help each other out with the tasks at hand. A couple of times they exchange items and tasks at hand. Some of the story sections are same for both of them, others are exclusive. Aline can sometimes be really funny when she is being patronized. It reminds me of George and Nicole interactions from Broken Sword series. The only letdown was an outro that felt so cheap after taking so much effort to finally finish the game.

alone42018-04-2621-574xpsa.jpg

alone42018-04-2713-453kqwg.jpg

alone42018-04-2714-22d3pu7.jpg

alone42018-04-2714-34ypow2.jpg

alone42018-04-2911-59appmv.jpg

alone42018-04-2912-04llpgy.jpg

alone42018-04-2912-22skqt3.jpg

alone42018-04-2912-556wpli.jpg

alone42018-04-2913-134zp7j.jpg

alone42018-04-2913-45t6rks.jpg

alone42018-04-2914-33buog6.jpg

alone42018-04-2914-36d2ph8.jpg

alone42018-04-2915-04q9q2s.jpg

alone42018-04-2915-14w8pzk.jpg

alone42018-04-2915-4484pa2.jpg

alone42018-04-2917-4523rqd.jpg

alone42018-04-2918-0702ry8.jpg

alone42018-04-2918-20ecomj.jpg

alone42018-04-2918-55icqr4.jpg

alone42018-04-2919-00lnord.jpg

It looks like the game assets were made for a 4:3 aspect ratio, regardless of it supporting widescreen resolutions natively. Things look stretched. Otherwise, cool! I remember playing this when it came out, I never finished it, though.

Would you say it's better than AitD 3?

Zlaja

Arcane
The enemies are respawning in some of the parts of the game, so don't bother cleaning the whole floor and do it, because you just lost a lot of ammo

This thing pisses me off so much in certain games. I like cleaning the place out, damn it! :argh:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom