Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
Honestly I don't get all the negativity. So what if its a battle royale or day z clone bs. It's not like those are any worse than a casual mobile game.

I thought any and all hope for a another proper Fallout RPG died more than a decade ago. How are people still triggered the new fallout isn't a black isle game.

It's like, what if Firaxis announced the next X-COM game was an online only turn based strategy? I probably wouldn't be too upset about that in concept, because it'd be nice to have a really competitive strategy game to play, but it'd say something about the future of the franchise that it might be worth getting upset about.

Fallout has traditionally been a single player RPG, or I suppose these days what Bethesda understands an RPG to be. Re-envisioning the whole franchise around an MMO action game is bound to rustle some jimmies.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Every time a new RPG is released, the Codex announced the most popular genre worldwide is dead

It's "most popular" because it's cool to call your game one and most people can't even tell what it is... "but it sounds cool".

Can you tell why you are so sensitive to change? RPGs have been around for decades, do you really expect them to remain 100% static for no reason? Or do you expect companies to cater to your 90s standards because you were a young adult during that decade?
I mean... Bethesda so far has been doing an incredibly piss poor job of pushing the genre forward. All they have been doing is streamlining further through each new title. I describe Fallout 4 as the RPG for people who dislike RPG but wanna brag about liking an RPG. I play and enjoy shit tons of popamole and casual crap like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed, butit's serious business when it comes to RPG. Bethesda's nuFallout and nuTES are bad RPGs, simple as that. Changes are good, purging the soul out of your game is not.

Fallout future is an online settlement shooter, deal with it.

Ocelot

Learned
Honestly I don't get all the negativity. So what if its a battle royale or day z clone bs. It's not like those are any worse than a casual mobile game.

I thought any and all hope for a another proper Fallout RPG died more than a decade ago. How are people still triggered the new fallout isn't a black isle game.

No, a game series must remain exactly the same for at least 100 years in a row. Any kind of experimentation or addition is forbidden by the Codex fatwa.

Removing the single-player focus is a bold move, however.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Fallout was dead since fallout 2, so idk why anyone would be even surprised, if they can make a good Rust type game in a Fallout universe, i will surely play it.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
God, look at Infaggotron rubbing his hands over our miseries. Such a Jew.

It's one thing for it to not be a Black Isle Fallout, I think most of us have made our peace with the fact that that is never going to happen again in our lifetimes. But a Rust clone? A fucking Rust clone?

Look on the bright side. With Bethesda money, maybe we'll finally get one of those sandbox/survival games that isn't a broken-janky-buggy-unplayable piece of shit.
Not happening. That genre is way to prone to PvP and griefing for Bethesda safe space standards.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
It's true it's an online spin-off title, if it was an single player RPG it would be named Fallout 5..... but it's named 76, hence the implying it's not in the same way as previous games.

It's most likely a Rust type game with the settlements building stuff from fallout 4.
We can expect 75 prequels.

My bad, 71. I can't count today.

Jokzore

Arbiter

It's like, what if Firaxis announced the next X-COM game was an online only turn based strategy? I probably wouldn't be too upset about that in concept, because it'd be nice to have a really competitive strategy game to play, but it'd say something about the future of the franchise that it might be worth getting upset about.

Fallout has traditionally been a single player RPG, or I suppose these days what Bethesda understands an RPG to be. Re-envisioning the whole franchise around an MMO action game is bound to rustle some jimmies.

I understand the concern. But this isn't even a proper Fallout sequel. It's a spinoff.

Also considering my Fallout 4 experience, I wouldn't mind them abandoning the whole RPG thing. With F4 Bethesda made it very clear it has no interest in doing RPGs anymore. I'd rather they made the game they actually want to make, than the insulting quasi-RPG bullshit that's been a stain on the genre for over a decade now.

Not happening. That genre is way to prone to PvP and griefing for Bethesda safe space standards.
Don't they already have the TES mmo for the carebear audience?

Other people being a menace is very much part of the postapoc/madmax/fallout theme. I'd be interested in seeing if they could pull off a convincing dayz-ish lord of the flies game. Although sticking to FO4's fisher-price color scheme and assets they're already off to a bad start.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is Rust really what everyone's thinking? When I saw multiplayer, I figured it would be something more like Borderlands at best or Destiny at worst. Wouldn't shock me if they desperately want to get this out ahead of Anthem.

That said, if it's a real massively multiplayer survival/building game, how many of you are going to play just to harass people and generally ruin the experience for Bethesda's fans? Can RPG Codex make this game fail simply by being its usual charming self?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
1397196382id11104gol.jpg

Guns n Boobies - me like.

If this is multiplayer only game I'm gonna play it as much as Fallout 4's multiplayer mode.

PorkBarrellGuy

Is Rust really what everyone's thinking? When I saw multiplayer, I figured it would be something more like Borderlands at best or Destiny at worst. Wouldn't shock me if they desperately want to get this out ahead of Anthem.

That said, if it's a real massively multiplayer survival/building game, how many of you are going to play just to harass people and generally ruin the experience for Bethesda's fans? Can RPG Codex make this game fail simply by being its usual charming self?

Given how Rust and DayZ and all the others tended to pan out we won't need to do a damn thing, the griefers from the other sandboxes and so on will be drawn to F76 like flies to shit. Codex will just sit back and laugh.

Hell is other people. Anyone who wants to play survival sandbox games should know better, frankly.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is Rust really what everyone's thinking?
I think it makes the most sense for them to capitalize on settlement building mechanic from Fallout 4, a huge part of Rust is building and crafting stuffs so...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Full text:

Sources: Fallout: 76 Is An Online Survival RPG

v049isktmndo88pjvtyj.png

Screenshot: Fallout: 76 teaser trailer

When Bethesda announced Fallout: 76 with a teaser trailer this morning, promising more information at E3, it was easy to assume that the new game would be a traditional single-player role-playing game. But Fallout: 76 is in fact an online survival RPG that’s heavily inspired by games like DayZ and Rust, according to three people familiar with the project.

Those people, speaking anonymously so as not to damage their careers, confirmed that Fallout: 76 is an experimental new entry in the longrunning post-apocalyptic series. When Bethesda first teased the game on Tuesday morning, fans and pundits speculated that it might be a Fallout 3 remaster or a New Vegas-style spinoff in a new location, but as Kotaku reported that afternoon, it is in fact something completely new and completely different. The teaser might lead Fallout fans to believe that this is a traditional entry in the series, but according to our sources, that’s not the case.

Originally prototyped as a multiplayer version of Fallout 4 with the goal of envisioning what an online Fallout game might look like, Fallout: 76 has evolved quite a bit over the past few years, those sources said. It will have quests and a story, like any other game from Bethesda Game Studios, a developer known for meaty RPGs like Skyrim. It will also feature base-building—just like 2015's Fallout 4—and other survival-based and multiplayer mechanics, according to those sources. One source cautioned that the gameplay is rapidly changing, like it does in many online “service” games, but that’s the core outline.

The game is named after the series’ Vault 76, which has been mentioned in both Fallout 3 and Fallout 4. According to Fallout lore, Vault 76 was meant to open just 20 years after the nuclear war, allowing for a far less civilized setting than previous games. Fallouts 3 and 4, which are full of cities and settlements, both take place over 200 years after the war, after much of the population has had time to reconstruct human civilization. Fallout: 76 will feel very different. As the narrator of the trailer says: “When the fighting is stopped, and the fallout has settled, you must rebuild.”

Fallout: 76 is in development not just at Bethesda Game Studios’ main office, in Maryland, where the likes of Skyrim and Fallout 4 were made, but also at the company’s newest branch, in Austin, according to our sources. That Austin studio, formerly known as BattleCry Studios, had been working on an online hero combat game called BattleCry before that game was canceled. “We have concerns about the BattleCry game and whether it is meeting the objectives we have for it,” Bethesda told press in the fall of 2015. “We are evaluating what improvements the game needs to meet our quality standards. The studio remains busy during this process on multiple projects.” In March, Bethesda announced that BattleCry Studios had become part of Bethesda Game Studios.

Bethesda did not respond to a request for comment. We’ll see more of Fallout: 76 at the publisher’s E3 press conference on June 10.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom