Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

Quigs

Magister
Any Battletech game should be set no later than the Fourth Succession War (3028-3030). The silliness with the Clans was the beginning of Battletech's long decline.

That's fucking nuts. For a number of reasons.

1. Plot. Kerensky gathers the galaxy's military and takes off, swearing to return when needed. 6 million people, tens of thousands of ships, mechs, tanks and other materiel. And they just... stay away because you're butthurt the plot finally advanced?

2. Time. Clans invasion happened in ~1990. The boxset at the time was this ugly piece of weeaboo shit. Fast forward 6 years and you arrive at the 4th edition boxset.

4TH EDITION BOX SET.

Bt4ed.jpg

That's fucking right. Instead of some cunt robotech bullshit, you've got a fucking skeleton faced mech with its arm blown off and smoking, firing off a giant laser into some shitbag. I can smell the John Phillips Sousa from here. Open the box up, what do you get? A 2 color image of some macross mech in crosshairs? FUCK NO. Zues getting its shoulder blown off from a fucking oompa loompa mech while infantry storm across a smoldering battlefield. FUCK YEAH.

3. Technology. Pre-Clan invasion there were two weapons that could headcap a mech, 1 of which was a magical artifact that about 2 people in the fucking universe had. Everything was slow, plodding, and took fucking forever to play a game. Clans show up : Boom. Let's all kill each other faster so I can finish a game in a few hours and maybe do someting for the rest of the day, rather than penciling in the Charger's 120th circle of armor because you brought a fucking Banshee to the fight which can't put out but a few points of damage a turn anyway.

4. Fuck you. Fun shit is fun. Go be old somewhere else.

he said "battletech game", not "just battletech". a computer game which can do dice rolls and calculations in an instant is perfect to play slower, more thought-out tabletop games.
i might be a madman, but if games worshop sold a 1:1 electronic version of wh40k, with the exact same prices, i'd probably throw a fuckton of money at it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Any Battletech game should be set no later than the Fourth Succession War (3028-3030). The silliness with the Clans was the beginning of Battletech's long decline.

1. Plot. Kerensky gathers the galaxy's military and takes off, swearing to return when needed. 6 million people, tens of thousands of ships, mechs, tanks and other materiel. And they just... stay away because you're butthurt the plot finally advanced?

2. Time. Clans invasion happened in ~1990. The boxset at the time was this ugly piece of weeaboo shit. Fast forward 6 years and you arrive at the 4th edition boxset.

4TH EDITION BOX SET.

Bt4ed.jpg

That's fucking right. Instead of some cunt robotech bullshit, you've got a fucking skeleton faced mech with its arm blown off and smoking, firing off a giant laser into some shitbag. I can smell the John Phillips Sousa from here. Open the box up, what do you get? A 2 color image of some macross mech in crosshairs? FUCK NO. Zues getting its shoulder blown off from a fucking oompa loompa mech while infantry storm across a smoldering battlefield. FUCK YEAH.

3. Technology. Pre-Clan invasion there were two weapons that could headcap a mech, 1 of which was a magical artifact that about 2 people in the fucking universe had. Everything was slow, plodding, and took fucking forever to play a game. Clans show up : Boom. Let's all kill each other faster so I can finish a game in a few hours and maybe do someting for the rest of the day, rather than penciling in the Charger's 120th circle of armor because you brought a fucking Banshee to the fight which can't put out but a few points of damage a turn anyway.

The first three editions of Battletech all featured the classic Warhammer battlemech on their front covers, and the third edition even had plastic miniatures rather than mere cutouts.

Btech1.jpg

800px-ecrqmfjxuhw70iqffcfkzecdy96ad6h.jpg

As for the notion of "plot", it's always a mistake for a company's game/campaign setting to have an overarching plot. This sells more products in the short-run by enticing fans to keep up with official changes, but ultimately balkanizes the playing community and leads to Decline in the setting.

Unwanted

Bladeract

It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again.
Dumbfuck

4TH EDITION BOX SET.

Bt4ed.jpg

You want to select the age based on the art? lol

Plus on top of that you obviously have amazingly shit taste in it. Marauder and Warhammer and Highlander are iconic. Atlas is pure garbage, looks like a metallic orc.

Cael

Arcane
Actually, you can headcap a 'mech using any 10 damage weapon (PPC and AC10). You just need to get lucky, get at least 1 crit on the number of crits table and crit the cockpit or roll 12 on the number of crits table (limb/head blown off). For lesser armoured 'mechs like the Jenner, even a Large Laser at 8 damage will do it while a PPC/AC10 will automatically blow the head off (it only had 6 armour in the head).

The Clans basically only added one head capper: The Clan ER PPC. The rest of the head cappers have either been there since the Star League era (Gauss Rifle) or are variations of the AC20.

And what the hell are you doing letting that bloody Banshee do so much damage to you? The Charger is well named. USE IT. 64 points a smack is far better than the damned 5 SL nerfgun array.

Cael

Arcane
he said "battletech game", not "just battletech". a computer game which can do dice rolls and calculations in an instant is perfect to play slower, more thought-out tabletop games.
i might be a madman, but if games worshop sold a 1:1 electronic version of wh40k, with the exact same prices, i'd probably throw a fuckton of money at it.
If all HBS did was to make a campaign editor that has all the rules of CBT thrown in, a LOT of people will be throwing money at it.

Instead, they made a political statement using a Mary Sue Disney Princess.

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's a lot of things, but it's definitely not that. If you played it, you would know that already.

Quigs

Magister
The Clans basically only added one head capper: The Clan ER PPC. The rest of the head cappers have either been there since the Star League era (Gauss Rifle) or are variations of the AC20.

1. Star League tech was not really available outside of Comstar.

2. Post Brian Cache - Pre Jihad you've got access to Gauss Rifles, PPCs + Caps, Thunderbolt missiles, Clan ERPPCs, Heavy Lasers, Heavy Gauss Rifles, and 4-ish kinds of autocannon getting the headcap job done.

3. Don't be a pedantic fuck. You can kill a mech with 1 point of damage if you get lucky. That's not a headcap.

Cael

Arcane

1. Star League tech was not really available outside of Comstar.

2. Post Brian Cache - Pre Jihad you've got access to Gauss Rifles, PPCs + Caps, Thunderbolt missiles, Clan ERPPCs, Heavy Lasers, Heavy Gauss Rifles, and 4-ish kinds of autocannon getting the headcap job done.

3. Don't be a pedantic fuck. You can kill a mech with 1 point of damage if you get lucky. That's not a headcap.
1. It started coming in pre-3050, which was one of the reasons why the Clans launched the Invasion.

2. Clan-era usually refers to the Invasion-era, which is 3050, give or take. If you want to talk Truce era or Civil War era, that is a separate level of tech altogether. They were all later expansions and books. Heavy Lasers, PPC Caps, Heavy Gauss are all post-3060 tech, some are 3067-era tech, and some are experimental stuff. Maximum Tech has a lot to answer for in terms of the balance breakdown that plagued the later part of CBT. Things like tandem charge warheads and acid warheads and AP autocannon round basically threw BTech balance out the window. They were running out of ideas to the point they were basically comming up with stuff that ignored armour. The Arctic Fox suddenly became one of the most feared 'mechs on the field, which should be telling you that something horrible was happening to the game.

3. Not really. Headcapping refers to killing the pilot via direct damage weaponry in one shot. If you don't get past the 9 head armour for most 'mechs, then you don't have a potential headcapper. Early BTech books, pre-Clan, refers to PPCs as feared due to their potential to be headcappers. While it is later used to mean weapons that do 15+ damage, that was not its original meaning.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The only statement I see in this game is "LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" *proceeds to perform 4x simultaneous, devastating, defensive deep DFA*

Cael

Arcane
Headcapping is decapitating the head.
Moving the goalpost after being called on your bullshit.

Headcappers are weapons that can potentially kill a 'Mechwarrior in one shot without any warning. Weapons that slowly abalate the armour until the head is destroyed is NOT a headcapper because you get warnings that your armour is becoming compromised. Headcappers are rightly feared both by players and in universe because of that lack of warning. Any weapon that does 10 or more damage per shot is a headcapper. At 12+ damage, you don't even need to make the crit roll. It is an automatic head kill. However, both are still headcappers.

Quigs

Magister

Headcappers are weapons that can potentially kill a 'Mechwarrior in one shot without any warning.

That's not what that means. Again, the first point of damage a mech takes can potentially kill the pilot. No one calls that headcapping. You're being an obtuse fuck by claiming headcapping has anything to do with pilot death, when it's always been the decapitation of the mech's head.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=32175.0

So a "headcapping" weapon is any weapon that can destroy a fully armoured cockpit in a single hit

http://heavymetalpro.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10492&sid=6ab507dd2da34a23d4ca2aaa27cd7703

I think we should redefine "headcapper" to apply to only weapons that do 12 or more damage in a single hit-location roll...
Agreed, that is the normal definition.
I agree headcappers should be 12 point in single hit weapons

Actually, you can headcap a 'mech using any 10 damage weapon

One of these things is not like the other. Congratulations. You lost an argument on the internet.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
ok so let me open a can of worms for a moment because i'm morbidly curious

i've already had like 5 people ask 'wtf u playin that sjw game' when launching battletech on steamu

the only obvious
rating_agenda.png
i've seen so far was chargen letting you pick a pronoun which is at worst dumb and at best cheesy but ultimately completely ignorable

so where's all the heavy-handed sjw polotix hiding behind every corner that i'm apparently missing

an inquiring mind wants to know

Cael

Arcane
ok so let me open a can of worms for a moment because i'm morbidly curious

i've already had like 5 people ask 'wtf u playin that sjw game' when launching battletech on steamu

the only obvious
rating_agenda.png
i've seen so far was chargen letting you pick a pronoun which is at worst dumb and at best cheesy but ultimately completely ignorable

so where's all the heavy-handed sjw polotix hiding behind every corner that i'm apparently missing

an inquiring mind wants to know
Kevin's twits. However, I don't recommend reading them as they can cause permanent head damage.

At least one of the artist as well ("she's so brave and-and-and she's a queeeeeennnn!!!").

HBS politicised the game by linking politics to various game features (e.g., the diversity of the crew, the tranny recruits, etc.), most of which would have flown under the radar if HBS themselves did not draw attention to them or made grand gestures linking them to SJW shit.

Cael

Arcane

Headcappers are weapons that can potentially kill a 'Mechwarrior in one shot without any warning.

That's not what that means. Again, the first point of damage a mech takes can potentially kill the pilot. No one calls that headcapping. You're being an obtuse fuck by claiming headcapping has anything to do with pilot death, when it's always been the decapitation of the mech's head.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=32175.0

So a "headcapping" weapon is any weapon that can destroy a fully armoured cockpit in a single hit

http://heavymetalpro.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10492&sid=6ab507dd2da34a23d4ca2aaa27cd7703

I think we should redefine "headcapper" to apply to only weapons that do 12 or more damage in a single hit-location roll...
Agreed, that is the normal definition.
I agree headcappers should be 12 point in single hit weapons

Actually, you can headcap a 'mech using any 10 damage weapon

One of these things is not like the other. Congratulations. You lost an argument on the internet.
You act as if I care what some twit on the Internet redefines a term as. That is like taking up Obama's redefinition of raaaaaayyyyyycist as fact. Or that globull warming is a proven theory.

You basically just conceded the argument.

Cael

Arcane
ok so it's primarily about tweets and stuff that hardly even matters

as i suspected

thank you and carry on
Wrong. Once the twits were made, the in-game features become the manifestations of the rot. It is like that one character in Siege of Dragonspear that otherwise had a pretty innocent (if atrocious) dialogue forever being known as "Hi! I'm a tranny!" because of what cuckdog said.

Therefore, every feature that Kevin and his gang gushed over as being "inclusive" is now considered SJW politics. Which, unfortunately for the HBS game, are the entire crew and most of the recruits. Things that you see time and again, and things that you have to interact with, which, of course, compounds the problem, as you can't just ignore the shit.

lightbane

Arcane
And then they added in the fetishists' wet dreams of incest, murder, rape and assorted sex acts that is illegal in just about every one of the 200+ nations out there in real life. Whoever that came up with that shit was deranged, deviant and should be arrested for everything from paedophilia to beastiality.

What.

*checks posted link*

:what:

What's up with tabletop writers invariably going full retard? At first I thought it was mostly exclusive to World of Darkness' lunatic writers, but it is not the case.

HBS politicised the game by linking politics to various game features (e.g., the diversity of the crew, the tranny recruits, etc.),

The tranny recruit's bio was posted in the other BTech thread. Worth a read for how bad is it. Speaking of, the regular character portraits are almost all of them ugly.
Also, you cannot 't choose blonde as your hair color during char creation but more exotic colors such as pink are. Not sure if they patched in that one though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom