Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Xenonauts 2 - now available on Early Access

PanteraNera

Arcane
What the fuck first Hassknecht and his gang from nma and now dac?
we-need-to-5aa144.jpg

SenisterDenister Welcome fellow post apocalyptic disciple :)

ArchAngel

Arcane
ArchAngel said:
:decline:

EDIT:
If I understood this right outside your main base you only send agents to be a kind of spies and you send one per continent?! How does that even make any sense.. how is one agent supposed to cover a whole continent?

Seems geoscape is worse than nuXcom 1/2 . You took some ideas from nuXcom and Long War and made it worse.
:decline:

At the moment the setup is that you have a main, off-map, base that holds your staff. On the Geoscape you build interceptor bases that contain radars and interceptors and work like X1 "interceptor" bases do. Aside from a few balance tweaks the Geoscape basically works the same as in X1 in interception terms, assuming you did the optimal thing and had one "main" base and a whole bunch of "satellite" interceptor bases that just contained radars and hangars.

Additionally, you're able to assign staff to regions to perform various actions within that region ... like improving relations etc. There are also specific events that pop-up on the map that you can assign soldiers to in order to receive some kind of reward. In the long term we'll likely unify these two systems together, probably by making your Agents actually move around the map like interceptors do (except more slowly and without fuel limits) to reach these missions. But yeah, that system's not finished and it'll probably go through quite a few iterations until we find what works best.

It's also possible we'll go back to X1-style base mechanics, particularly now the Kickstarter is doing well and it wouldn't be a problem to rework the art if there was a compelling reason to do so. In many ways the main argument for this would be if the Field Agent system worked well and you wanted your secondary bases as a hub for both aircraft AND soldiers.
So no base defense and moving your base to another one if you lose that one? You could in UFO premade secondary bases to be ready in case you lost your main one.
No making production or research specialized bases?
No secondary troop bases to be able to respond to missions from closer bases?

Nothing I have seen is an improvement over X1 or UFO as far as geoscape in concerned. X2 will have to be carried by its tactical missions, I hope you did more there than make better graphics.. and being able to blow up walls in UFO is not nearly enough.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Backed, gonna make me myself a soldier. I guess you get something in the e-mail later to send in?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I put it on remind 2 days before end. Since there is no early bird no reason to back early. Also I am not yet convinced that beyond graphics X2 offers anything of worth over X1. And X1 is a worse game than Open Xcom or Firaxis reboots (especially with Long War mods).

Gladly backed. Honestly would have backed for more - I do think I felt the missing ~100 dollar tier, but I understand the struggle.

I might welfare someone a 66 dollar tier next month as the campaign nears its end, or failing that just buy a couple of extra copies during EA/release and give them away.

Goldhawk

Goldhawk Interactive
Developer
Thanks for all the backing, guys! Things have gone much better than we were expecting and we're just about to hit the second stretch goal after only 24 hours - on current standings, that will add both Modular Weapons and Geoscape Situations to the design.

This is a long post, but please bear with me. I feel like I should put a little context here, I had first purchased Xenonauts a long time ago back when it ran on a service called Desura when it was still in alpha development, back before it was even put up on kickstarter. I'm pretty sure we had talked on Moddb back when you were still posting development updates there. I still play the game with the community mod on Steam, too. I like this genre of game very much and I'm glad that, despite the popularity of the new XCOM titles, which I also enjoyed, a team of developers felt it was better to make a new game in the vein of the original. With Open XCOM I still play TFTD regularly. I had downloaded and played the free demo from Good Old Games and while it all runs very well I'm a bit bored with the aesthetic since it's just an updated version of the original game, which leads into my question; will the developers add new environments or settings to this to make it weirder or strange similar to Terror From the Deep?

Cool, glad you enjoyed the game. I do pop into this forum on occasion because it's always nice to take part in a community of hardcore strategy nerds. To answer your question - there's not really anything planned at the moment to make the game particularly weird or strange (I might lack the creativity to pull it off properly), but we'll see where development takes us.

I put it on remind 2 days before end. Since there is no early bird no reason to back early. Also I am not yet convinced that beyond graphics X2 offers anything of worth over X1. And X1 is a worse game than Open Xcom or Firaxis reboots (especially with Long War mods).

In all seriousness, the Kickstarter is mostly there for people who enjoyed the first game and are willing to trust us with their money to make a sequel. It's certainly not an insult to me or the project if you didn't enjoy the original game enough to essentially write us a blank cheque with your money; if you'd rather wait until later in development to see if the game turns into something you want to buy then that's probably the most sensible thing to do.

Gonna back this one, any benefits from backing through Codex link?

Great. Nope, there's no benefit from backing through the Codex link except it turns up on the project dashboard with the referral link if you do. It's currently showing that RPGcodex has driven 16 pledges since the project began.

Thanks for all the backing, guys! Things have gone much better than we were expecting and we're just about to hit the second stretch goal after only 24 hours - on current standings, that will add both Modular Weapons and Geoscape Situations to the design.

This is a long post, but please bear with me. I feel like I should put a little context here, I had first purchased Xenonauts a long time ago back when it ran on a service called Desura when it was still in alpha development, back before it was even put up on kickstarter. I'm pretty sure we had talked on Moddb back when you were still posting development updates there. I still play the game with the community mod on Steam, too. I like this genre of game very much and I'm glad that, despite the popularity of the new XCOM titles, which I also enjoyed, a team of developers felt it was better to make a new game in the vein of the original. With Open XCOM I still play TFTD regularly. I had downloaded and played the free demo from Good Old Games and while it all runs very well I'm a bit bored with the aesthetic since it's just an updated version of the original game, which leads into my question; will the developers add new environments or settings to this to make it weirder or strange similar to Terror From the Deep?

Cool, glad you enjoyed the game. I do pop into this forum on occasion because it's always nice to take part in a community of hardcore strategy nerds. To answer your question - there's not really anything planned at the moment to make the game particularly weird or strange (I might lack the creativity to pull it off properly), but we'll see where development takes us.

In all seriousness, the Kickstarter is mostly there for people who enjoyed the first game and are willing to trust us with their money to make a sequel. It's certainly not an insult to me or the project if you didn't enjoy the original game enough to essentially write us a blank cheque with your money; if you'd rather wait until later in development to see if the game turns into something you want to buy then that's probably the most sensible thing to do.

Gonna back this one, any benefits from backing through Codex link?

Great. Nope, there's no benefit from backing through the Codex link except it turns up on the project dashboard with the referral link if you do. It's currently showing that RPGcodex has driven 16 pledges since the project began.
If after this you make a successful JA2-like, I will have your babies.

ArchAngel

Arcane

My post maybe ended up too negative.
So I want to add that Xenonauts 1 was certainly better than any other Xcom like project made between UFO/TFTD and Xenonauts 1 and I tried a lot of them. You did make a good game, just that Open Xcom was also mostly finished at same time and I found myself enjoying the fixed up original a bit more.
As for Xeno 2, as you said even if I decide to not contribute to KS I am certainly super interested in how the finished product will look and play.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Most of the stretch goals seem pretty boring to me, except for mod support. Weather sounds good, but given examples sound terrible.

Will still pledge

Most of the stretch goals seem pretty boring to me, except for mod support. Weather sounds good, but given examples sound terrible.

Will still pledge
I like modular weapons. :(

Also - I think the mod support is *additional* mod support. I think some is already going to be involved.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I took the demo for a quick spin.

Couple questions:
-Will Xenonauts 2 retain same type UI for picking grenade type used as first game? In demo every trooper seems to have just 1 grenade.
-Is it possible to pick stuff up from battlefield? (Situation where that could have been necessary didn't come up in my quick playthrough.)

Goldhawk

Goldhawk Interactive
Developer
Hey, it's hard to keep your hair clean on the frontlines! :) It looks to me like the beard is most of the problem there - it's very dark on the bottom and sides. Does the hair alone class as blonde to you, or is that too dark even by itself?

Since the £35 tier with the portrait editor has been super-popular, I'm probably going to ask the artist to do some additional revisions and some extra art for it before the end of the Kickstarter. If you've got comments on how it could be improved then by all means post them up.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just want to be able to make a super blond swede. By the way, the five o clock shadow goes outside the narrow face template on males, the white person one at least.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Looks promising, backed.
The stretch goals are not that exciting tbh.
Btw with over 640 'custom' soldiers in the pool my guess is there will be 'some' doppelgangers.

wi7ejc.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom