Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie DrDungeon's Ultizurk and MADMAN Thread

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey folks, it looks like DrDungeon and his Ultizurk game has now been covered by crpgaddict. He gives the RPG Codex some mention towards the end:

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2018/04/game-286-ultizurk-i-grandmasters-quest.html

The problem with cloning one of the most famous and respected series of all time is that you can rarely hope to exceed the original. The Bard's Tale clones that were popular in Germany make a lot more sense than Ultima clones because The Bard's Tale is a relatively boring series that can manifestly be improved upon. You can't really say that about Ultima, at least not after Exodus. Thus, every time you play a clone, you know it's going to evoke a sense of Ultima but in a way that's slightly less than the original--less complex mechanics, a less compelling plot, less verbose NPCs, less tactical combat. A few clones manage to add something new, like Deathlord and Nippon, but these are almost always commercial titles with bigger budgets. All of the rest that I've played over the last year have simply blended with each other in my memory, and I'd have to read my own articles to differentiate Hera, Legends, Skariten, Gates of Delirium, Quest for Tanda, and Wrath of Denethor--and that's only going back a year.

Given all of this, I was surprised to find myself not hating Ultizurk I. At least it doesn't try to be epic. It has a nucleus of an interesting plot. The writing is decent (a rarity for shareware titles), with a minimum of spelling and grammar issues, and the game evokes the spirit of Ultima IV-VI NPC dialogue better than most clones. It's still not a very good game, as we'll see, but it strengths are at least different than the strengths of most Ultima clones. And it lacks the hubris of so many shareware games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh: https://steamcommunity.com/games/684570/announcements/detail/1701680279683231837

Bold New Approach
21 JUNE - LOTCYCLOPS

A carefully crafted world, Madman brings something new to the table: A game where there are no evil wizards to defeat, nor military factions to join or conquer. Others have done that well enough, and by now done it to death, Madman was made with the explicit intention of offering something different.

An ordinary person in a curious land, where the ultimate danger is not readily apparent. Born from five years of blood, sweat & tears, Madman's development was constantly monitored by about a dozen other old-school rpg players. Maybe I got it a little better than my old "Ultizurk" games. :)

Yet the support of this game will insure rapid progress of the far more elaborate ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops, currently in development. Keep thine elven sword of antiquity sharpened, oh questor, for the adventure has just begun!

PeeWee

Augur
Dear gentlemen and ladies,

For those of you who do not know, my friend, Dr. Dungeon, passed away on Tuesday March 30, 2021.

For those of you who do not know who Dr. Dungeon was, I suggest you start by reading this interview:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070807233653/http://home.planet.nl/~scho3186/doca.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20070812143337/http://home.planet.nl/~scho3186/docb.html

Dr. Dungeon called his company "The Castle of The Mach Gryphon".

This is an appeal (not sure if "appeal" is the correct word). I am looking for Dr. Dungeon’s other fans. I would like to get in touch.

"ULTIZURK IV: "Lord of the Cyclops"" is not the only unfinished game and there was a lot more going on behind the scenes. I know of many secrets. I would like to talk to people who are real fans and have time available to discuss what was going on. Note that I am not looking for people who are only interested in playing RPGs, but for Dr. Dungeon’s fans.

Now I am not sure if anybody is interested. For example:
1 In the game
"Spook House II: "The Last Vampire""
there is the character
"the Ferryman of legend"
and the information to get past him is not included in the game itself. So far, nobody has asked how to get past him.
2 Nobody has asked how to register
"Morbius’ Isthmus"
3 Nobody seems to be talking about games like "Wraith", "ZURK V: "The Dungeon Master"" or another game in the ZURK-series (ZURK I through ZURK IX).

However, if anybody is interested, please contact me. I was thinking of creating some sort of fansite, but that would need somebody who knows how to build Internetsites. There is more going on. Somebody should spend a lot of time trying to understand why, for example, "ULTIZURK IV: "Lord of the Cyclops"" was not finished in all those years and the worst things of what was going on behind the scenes have never been told. I guess I need somebody who has a lot of time to hear from me what happened in all those years. Maybe I am asking for the impossible.

If you are interested, if you are serious and if you think you are what I am looking for, please contact me:

fansofdrdungeon AT hotmail DOT com

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just noticed this. Here's his obituary: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/mcall/name/robert-deutsch-obituary?pid=198268255

Robert J. Deutsch Jr.

photo_100935_6924513_1_Photo1_cropped_20210406.jpgx

FUNERAL HOME
J.S. Burkholder Funeral Home Inc.
1601 Hamilton Street
Allentown, PA

Robert J. Deutsch, Jr. 63, of Allentown, passed away March 30, 2021 in his home. He was the husband of Christine (Adelmann) Deutsch. They were married for 24 years last July 21st. Robert last worked as a detailer for Autolex Dealership, Allentown. Born in Allentown, he was the son of the late Robert J. and Agnes (Rodgers) Deutsch and step-son of Georgia S. (Sarantoglou) Deutsch of Allentown. Rob was a truly special person, very kind, considerate, thoughtful, intelligent and pleasant. He appreciated and valued family and will be missed deeply. He studied the philosophy and practices of Martial Arts, enjoyed the computer and programming and his time spent at LA Fitness.

Survivors: Wife, Stepmother, Sisters: Gayle D. wife of Stephen Ganser of Kutztown, Lenna J. wife of Rahul Jasuja of Boca Raton, FL. and Deborah Kyzer of Hershey, PA, Brothers: Alexander J. Deutsch of Allentown and Dennis Ewani (Evans) and his wife Nancy of Gilbert, AZ and many loving nieces and nephews.

Services will be private. Arrangements by the J. S. Burkholder Funeral Home, Allentown. Condolences may be offered at: www.jsburkholder.com

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made in Rob's memory to the American Heart Association 968 Postal Road, Suite 110, Bethlehem, PA 18109 or to a charity of one's choice.

:salute:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I didn't realize all the unfinished products. I clicked on the original site for purchase of Dr. Dungeon's MADMAN! (The one on steam) but it looks to be defunct. Guess, I'll have to pull out the old steam laptop.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This bummed me out, too. I loved the dedication he had for the hobby, since he published so much despite the games not being profitable for him. At least he had a last moment in the spotlight through our own small community.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
As long as sites like this exist and archivists archive all they can, be they hoarder or player, then live on it will.

norolim

Arcane
Oh no. I just wanted to check the progress on Ultizurk IV: Lord of the Cyclops... Instead I found this news. Rest in peace, you MADMAN!

PeeWee

Augur
On Thursday March 30, 2023 it will have been 2 years.

I must say I am very curious how many people play Dr. Dungeon’s games these days.

I must also say I am very unhappy about the fact only a few people have written to the e-mail-address in the appeal I left here. If you wrote and have not heard from me, it means your e-mail never arrived. Please try again.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Bah! God damn me not doing a search before posting in another thread.

Well, he deserves more coverage so There!
The sad news is Dr. Dungeon passed away in 2021 so his itchio page says: Dr. Dungeon itchio

https://www.dosgames.com/author/dr-dungeon/

I ran across another game similar to Ultizurk called Wraith.
Ultizurk III: The GuildMaster's Quest
Ultizurk III Part II: The Mobius Mind
Wraith

Just as well link a few more by

Robert J. Deutsch (aka: Dr. Dungeon)

Ultizurk I: The Grandmaster's Quest
Ultizurk II: The Shadow Master
The Great Ultizurkian Underland
MadMan
Dr. Dungeon's Madman!

Seems like he’s got a bit of a list. The last game is a Steam entry even. This should be the full version unlike the itchio but confirmation would be nice.

Other games include:
MORBIUS ISTHMUS

BABYSITTER 1: THE NIGHT HIS PARENTS WENT OUT

BABYSITTER 2: THE KID UNLEASHED

SPOOK HOUSE 2: THE LAST VAMPIRE

SPOOK HOUSE 3: THE LEVEE

I’ll try to find a Spook House 1 and maybe some pics and vids.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
And when you realize this is the last you’ll hear his voice it makes this feel more sad. Dunno, I get kind of depressed hearing of any gamer/game creator passing.

And some reviews/gameplay:

Yeah, I don’t buy Steam games lately but I will probably grab this after messing with the demo.

Lhynn

Arcane
Really gotta play these games, they seem to have the right kind of crazy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom