Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Fear 3: The Legend

les

Age of Fear
Developer
Welcome everyone,

I would like to start by thanking you all for your continous support while we were developing our 3rd game!
In such a crowded market, having such a responsive and understanding community is truly a rare phenomenom.

Age of Fear series has come a long way, from it's first release in 2011 when it was started as a simple TBS game. Since then we have implemented many more new features and improved on the existing ones.
I would also like to point out that many of these features were either directly suggested on the forum or developed in cooperation with some of you. So thank you all for that!!

We cannot say that the Age of Fear series is a perfect game, ofcourse it has its own rough edges and imperfections. Although, we may wish to create a truly AAA product, but we are only but a small team. However, we will stay committed to making your experience as exceptional as possible. As many of you know, we are still upgrading our old games and this will continue for the foreseeable future.

Our roadmap is there:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/431700/discussions/0/1470840994955086996/

I wish I could provide you with more detailed timelines, but we simply cannot speculate that far ahead.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/431700/

I, therefore conclude by wishing you all the very best, take care, have fun with Age of Fear 3: The Legend and please your feedbacks are very much welcome.
Age of Fear Team

P.S.
First review just arrived!
https://youtu.be/9SuHdr6j26M

les

Age of Fear
Developer

Welcome to the first major patch after AOF3 release. I am sorry for furious patching in the last couple of weeks, we have been fixing lots of issues and bugs. Everything went rather well and there was no game-breaking bugs :)

Thanks for all bug-reports, I am working on them!
Below it a list of updates:

• DLC: The Elementalist. in case someone missed it:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/688460/
  • new: (AOF3 only) racial animosity morale bonuses/penalties - it’s a bit experimental still and we are still looking for feedback. The idea is to add some Morale bonuses deposing on your team composition - a detailed info in available in shop’s help.
    Hopefully, it will work much better when we finally ready with Open World.

• new: we have added ca. 20 new static objects: statues, torches, chairs, tables, etc. Thanks to Sergey (our taster), Dwarves campaign has been updated already, but we are still working on forest campaign. Next thing will be to add light effect to torches, so they can be destroyed together. Maybe also some ranged attack bonuses if target is near light source - if that works well and doesn’t confuse players. Units can stand below torches - I hope this will work ok.
  • new: dynamic difficulty - we have implemented a convoluted algorithm that detects if you are ahead of difficulty curve at a given level and increases (but never decreases!) relative difficulty. This has been deployed in AOF1 and partially in AOF3.
  • new items: Swamp Berries - the only item that makes you permanently drunk :)
  • update: terrain animations were disabled - they were causing performance drop on some machines. We will re-enable them as soon as issues are resolved.
  • update: embedded Java has been updated to 9 (only 64-bit systems)
  • balance: Amulet of Chaos: +3 base MP, No Magic Regeneration, Magic Resistance, 600gp (Rare)
  • balance: (for Russian players only) default difficulty is Experienced. You guys are gluttons for punishment - that’s it :)
  • balance: higher chance for Permanent Wounds
  • balance: ghosts can use weapon and shield to allow Krill-Wight to have some gear
  • bugfix: Heroes cannot have Tough attribute
  • bugfix: improved detection of 64-bit system in Windows (thanks to Tamaster!)
  • in progress: dynamic balancing of difficulty curve - it will apply only in scenario when you are ahead of difficulty curve and hopefully will make battles more challenging.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I always liked all of the games.
I wouldn't call them masterpieces, obviously, but if you can deal with the graphics and like turn-based I don't see how you could go wrong for the price.

I'm not quite sure what it is (no, not the boobies), but I found the storytelling to be refreshingly oldschool, too.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I’m quite fond of these games personally, finished each campaign at least once. Graphics are rough but you get used to it, gameplay is what youd expect with the major divergence being that the game isnt grid or tile based. Main draws imo is the unit variety and campaigns feeling strongly themed. Best comparison i can make is if warhammer dark omen was a tbs or if battles of wesnoth had a better progression system, wasnt tile based and had a more fun campaign. Like thesheep i cant quite explain why, but i really did enjoy the story of certain campaigns more so then a lot of games i play.

Its worth noting the 3rd game isnt auto better then the 1st, dev updates all game with new features as they get improved so its really just a question of which racial campaign you like the idea of the most: give that one a try and see if rest of series is for you based on that.
Personally i had the most fun with the succubus campaign of 2nd game, undead+humans of 1st and dryads of 3rd.

Kayerts

Arcane
They're fun little games and generally worth the price. Les is a total bro and updated AoF 1-2 for years after release, seems to be doing the same with AoF 3. The AI, as advertised, uses a trained neural network and is pretty solid. The campaigns are fun and have a lot of character to them, with each new faction offering reasonably different playstyles. The writing got quite a bit better in AoF3. AoF2 succubus campaign is still the best, mostly because the units are weird and the mages are pretty cool. Latest offering is fun and good. The scenarios keep things pretty lively.

Cons: Les being a total bro and releasing all sorts of add-ons and extra artifacts for the pool generally makes the game easier over time. Assuming you manage your progression well, your heroes and sometimes your mages become gods of the battlefield in relatively short order. The game sometimes does a good job of escalating the ridiculousness of your enemies, but it's pretty easy for a player to outpace that. The AI is, as mentioned, pretty good, but it's a trained NN, i.e. it's not doing deep learning as you progress, and you can find tactics that repeatedly faceroll it. Visual stuff is as advertised and might be seen as either charming or primitive; audio has ok music but the sound is just bad.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Just finished the Dryad campaign, which is 1 of 2 full story campaigns for Age Of Fear 3. Really enjoyed it. It was challenging, I lost many units over the course of the 20+ hours I played, and the RPG elements were really top notch to me. Loved the character progression, the hundreds of units I could recruit, all the skills as well as hundreds of unique items the heroes can wield. Great stuff. I recommend anyone who likes turn-based combat with heavy RPG progression elements to check out the entire series, they're all good games. Cheers! <3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom