Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Small example of why game companies need good translators.

LCJr.

Erudite
While wandering about the internet looking for some strategy news I stumbled onto this site. http://www.rageofwar.net/ Not endorsing it in anyway and honestly don't know a damn thing about it. But what I did find was this little amusing bit where they show off their good reviews.

"This little game is seemingly full of humor and adventure, plus you will fight epic battles between two powerful races who seek to control the universe. One thing
is certain: it is not greedy at all and will work on the vast majority of machines."
(Cyberstratege Magazine)

Note the word "seemingly". Now refer to your dictionary. I robbed Merriam-Webster for this.

seemingly
One entry found.

seeming[2,adjective]

Main Entry:
2seeming
Function:
adjective
Date:
circa 1557

: outwardly or superficially evident but not true or real <the>
synonyms see apparent
— seem·ing·ly adverb

Maybe not the best review to go on the front page after all?

Deleted member 7219

Just like Fallout 3 seemingly has choices and consequences.

Thydron

Liturgist
Pffft, you should try playing Pathologic if you really want to see some bad translation

Lord Chambers

Erudite
That may be the definition endorsed by Merriam Webster, but the most common use of "seemingly" is to indicate uncertainty. In the case of this review they probably add it to demonstrate they haven't explored all the content in the game and so can't say it is actually full of humor and adventure. At least that's what I take away from it. They played it, experienced a lot of humor and adventure, and are assuming the rest of the game is consistant with this.

Another word that people use inexactly according to the dictionary definition is "hypocrite." To most people this means "one who tells people not to do something and does it himeself." It actually means "one who expresses a false belief." These meanings are related and can overlap, but they're not mutually exclusive. You can be a hypocrite by saying Fallout 3 is great when really you think it sucks. This is expressing a false belief, but most people wouldn't call this person a hypocrite, they would call her a journalist. But if you said Fallout 3 sucked and then bought it, 8000 people would call you a hypocrite, because that's common usage.

Edit: I actually went back and looked up hypocite. It appears the dictionaries have caught up with it's prevalent usage since the last time I looked it up about 7 years ago. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrite
If you scroll down to the second and third dictionaries you can see some remnants of the definition I've been talking about.

LCJr.

Erudite
Thanks Sylandro. I've been using Merriam-Webster for the simple fact it's the only one that shows on addons.mozilla.org.

Inziladun

Magister
"This little game is apparently full of humor and adventure, plus you will fight epic battles between two powerful races who seek to control the universe. One thing
is certain: it is not greedy at all and will work on the vast majority of machines."
(Cyberstratege Magazine)

Did they change it?

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Re: Small example of why game companies need good translator

LCJr. said:
Blah blah blah

There's such a thing as being too anal, even on the Codex. I can't stand people like you. You're probably one of those annoying Linux nerds too who criticizes "Windoze" and "M$" all the time, AMIRITE? The world would be better without your kind.

LCJr.

Erudite
Re: Small example of why game companies need good translator

Jeff Graw said:
LCJr. said:
Blah blah blah

There's such a thing as being too anal, even on the Codex. I can't stand people like you. You're probably one of those annoying Linux nerds too who criticizes "Windoze" and "M$" all the time, AMIRITE? The world would be better without your kind.

You're trying too hard to be all "codexy". And of course then there's this.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=25350

Jeff Graw said:
Lost Vale and Bioforge plus? WC2 SNES version? Deleted wing commander scenes? So many possibilities... the things I would do to have a copy of that archive.... up to and including killing the president.

Then there's the "nerd" thing. You've registered on what's primarily an RPG forum. Doing that makes you a nerd whether you want to admit it or not. And there may be those who find the stuff you post on Homegrown Sticks "nerdy". But personally I try not to knock musicians.

Guilty on being anal.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
You don't get it. There's nothing wrong with being a nerd. Nerds who make idiotic non-complaints all the time though, I don't really like them. This is the Codex, there's nothing wrong about pointing out stupidity here.

LCJr.

Erudite
Ah I see, you're doing this as some kind of community service.

Now get serious for minute and answer this question. Why should I place any value in your opinion?

At this point you're not a real person. All you are is a user name and text on a screen. And not even one I recognize at that. Maybe you mean what you write, maybe you're just trolling or something in between. I have no way of knowing so there's no real point to worry about it. If you're really voicing your honest opinion you're simply wasting your time on me. I quit valuing the opinions of others a long time ago. You're how old? I'm guessing early 20's? What other people think probably still means something to you. As you get older it won't mean so much. Sure there will always some people whose opinion of you matters. But they'll be real people not just a user name and some text on a screen. Do you get it?

LCJr. said:

Now get serious for minute and answer this question. Why should I place any value in your opinion?

At this point you're not a real person. All you are is a user name and text on a screen. And not even one I recognize at that. Maybe you mean what you write, maybe you're just trolling or something in between. I have no way of knowing so there's no real point to worry about it. If you're really voicing your honest opinion you're simply wasting your time on me. I quit valuing the opinions of others a long time ago. You're how old? I'm guessing early 20's? What other people think probably still means something to you. As you get older it won't mean so much. Sure there will always some people whose opinion of you matters. But they'll be real people not just a user name and some text on a screen. Do you get it?

1148388424525xc2.jpg

LCJr. said:
As you get older it won't mean so much. Sure there will always some people whose opinion of you matters.
Age you are when you spend your time in an internet forum is proportional to the need to kill yourself.

EDITED FOR HER PLEASURE: Your statement makes you sound as though you are too old to be on an internet forum, thus you should kill yourself.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Gotta love easy prey ;)

LCJr. said:

Not at all. Just indulging in one of the oldest Codex past times: calling out stupidity. The more you complain about me pointing out your stupidity, the more of a hypocrite you yourself become, since this thread you created is nothing more than an attempt to call out stupidity where there is none. Not adhering to an out of date definition isn't an example of stupidity at all, but attempting to call someone out for said lack of adherence is incredibly stupid.

LCJr. said:

How can you be so stupid to think I care whether or not someone I just *called an idiot* values my opinion? Thanks for proving my point about your intelligence.

LCJr.

Erudite
sportforredneck said:
LCJr. said:
As you get older it won't mean so much. Sure there will always some people whose opinion of you matters.
Age you are when you spend your time in an internet forum is proportional to the need to kill yourself.

EDITED FOR HER PLEASURE: Your statement makes you sound as though you are too old to be on an internet forum, thus you should kill yourself.

I'm guessing I'm about the same age as Saint Proverbius and the rest of the Caliphate. Now that you mention it Saint killed himself didn't he?

Hi Jimbob. Long time no see. You've certainly been a spammy bitch.

So did anyone actually go to the developers site? http://www.evolutionvault.com/
They're apparently Romanian and maintain a Starcraft 2 fansite. Don't forget to check out the gaming babes.

Hi to you too Jeff.

I am not spammy just because you don't understand the meaning of Jabba-cat.

And no, Saint did not kill himself, nor did he die by any other means.

LCJr.

Erudite
Admiral jimbob said:
I am not spammy just because you don't understand the meaning of Jabba-cat.

And no, Saint did not kill himself, nor did he die by any other means.

I was referring to your 3,796 posts not Jabba-cat.

Saint's dead. baby arm's dead. They're all dead.

Jason

chasing a bee
Saint's dead. baby arm's dead. They're all dead.
Me and Saint just spent some time in a hotel room in Burbank shooting meth with prostitutes. Happens to everyone at some point or another.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom