Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
sharpening filters are also further performance hogs.

Not really.

Also, Bester MSAA is even more of a performance cost than TAA. Plus, you can have MSAA work on a deferred renderer, it's just expensive performance wise. https://docs.nvidia.com/gameworks/c.../d3d_samples/antialiaseddeferredrendering.htm

Also, wouldn't supersampling the game at 20% introduce aliasing as you're going for a 5/6 downsampling ratio instead of a power of two?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Following that thread in inXile forums, it looks like the "mercenary" replacing a party member has the same level and the same amount of skillpoints like the other party members (or the one he replaces?), with the only difference that his skillpoints are not set, and you can distribute them freely. So there is no disparity in the party. This is good.

Edit: ... talking of disparity: Can't wait to create my "special" party, where everything must be equal and unified. Every party member will have the same skills, uniform and march in step. Every "diversity" will be exterminated in gas chambers.
rating_racist.png
:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:

Last edited:

Whiskeyjack

Learned
Eh... man this feels shallow. I'm not far in but all this makes me feel is sad that Wizardry 8 was never followed up on. Skill trees suck. The four "archetypes" are not enough.

It's not all bad, but it just feels like a step back instead of the blubber I've been waiting for.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
HANDS-ON: THE BARD’S TALE IV IS A FRESH TAKE ON FANTASY ROLEPLAYING TROPES

[...]

When you’re not in combat you walk around the map just like you would in most other first-person RPGs, but you can feel the inspiration of old-school designs seeping through here as well. You’ll come across lots of puzzles, notes to read, and people to talk to.
flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Thanks to everyone ITT who prove that they are better than gaming journalists by posting impressions with some actual substance, instead of playing "who can fit the highest number of trite mannerisms into a single sentence."

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the key is to always begin an evaluation with the assumption that the game is bad, and the developers are incompetent.

i'm not even trying to be edgy. :)

imweasel

It would be kind of impossible to have worse combat than MMX tho...
:nocountryforshitposters:

Combat in MMX was perfectly fine. It was a tad repetitive but still pretty enjoyable.

Or do you belong to the "teh combatz wuz too hard" or "ZOMG Sawyer is right, hard counters are for grognards" clique?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
too few party members, and too much MMO design in the classes and skills; the actual combat engine was more than fine and competent... it was too repetitive, as you say, and also too simple/not stimulating enough.

certainly could've been much worse though.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
most jrpgs do, agreed, and you will certainly never see me praising their combat. however compared to something like SMT: Strange Journey (first-person blobber), or the dark spire (wiz-clone), or even Persona 5 then you have there examples of JRPGS with much better combat than MMX.

however my intention was never to make this a western/jrpg pissing contest. I judge mmx on its own merits and compared to its historical and contemporaries, like classic Wizardry and japanese wizardry and classic MM; and off those comparisons it falls short.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
most jrpgs do, agreed, and you will certainly never see me praising their combat. however compared to something like SMT: Strange Journey (first-person blobber), or the dark spire (wiz-clone), or even Persona 5 then you have there examples of JRPGS with much better combat than MMX.

however my intention was never to make this a western/jrpg pissing contest. I judge mmx on its own merits and compared to its historical and contemporaries, like classic Wizardry and japanese wizardry and classic MM; and off those comparisons it falls short.
I was just making small talk,it was just surprising. I do fully agree with you,MMX was pretty meh compared to any other MM game,i even enjoyed that beta shit MM9.

Have you played Laxius Power or Laxius Force?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
i actually have never played a single RPG Maker-derived game.
You should try it out mate,it have simplicity of JRPGs and the exploration and freedom of old western RPGs. Laxius Power 1&3 are great open world game,also the saves are do effect later games. You should try it,it is the only JRPG style game that manage to finish a few times and did enjoy it at max. There are a few videos on the tube,try them out.

PS:It is really ugly.

Castozor

Scholar
Just opened the beta. First thing I notice, quest markers can be turned off in the options menu. Boom, one problem solved.
Only if they designed the journal/quest text with that in mind. But seeing as most of you with beta access seem to be (cautiously?) optimistic I actually feel really good about this game right now. Comparisons to MMX, which I liked, probably means I will like this one too.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just opened the beta. First thing I notice, quest markers can be turned off in the options menu. Boom, one problem solved.
Only if they designed the journal/quest text with that in mind.
I guess I'll find out, I turned it off immediately.

But seeing as most of you with beta access seem to be (cautiously?) optimistic I actually feel really good about this game right now.
Well, I've only played the beta for 10 seconds. I did like the alpha, though. The main question you need to answer is "Am I expecting a BT4 as if they'd made a direct sequel in 1989 but with souped up computers?" because in essence this is nothing like BT1-3.

Castozor

Scholar
I never played the older Bards Tale's, I just like dungeon crawlers. My hope is that this will both be a good game and a success so we can get more Western made crawlers in the future. Nothing wrong with the Japanese ones mind, but they are not as readily available over here.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Premade character (Melody the Bard) is a chosen one! Not really. Story starts off with a 'prophecy' that Melody is going to save Skara Brae ... so you can roll with that ... or maybe it's just the dreams of an old man who's fixated on her for some reason. There's a crisis at the beginning and Melody may not be the one who escapes - it could be anybody. The guy who said you have to play for hours before making your own character was high.

DemonKing

Arcane
Might & Magic X has been one of my favourite games of the CRPG incline - along with Grimrock - so looking forward to this.

Zombra

Patron
Full list of archetype "Subclasses" in the beta.

Bard
Grand Rabble-Rouser (party buff: damage and speed)
Grand Troubadour (charm enemies)
Grand Warchanter (cumulative strength boost)
Grand Minstrel (party buff: spell points, opportunity points)
Brew Master (self combat buffs)

Practicioner
Grand Sorcerer (mental debuffs)
Grand Conjuror (area effect damage)
Grand Summoner (summon wraiths)
Grand Magician (item buffs/debuffs)
Archmage (even more damage, must have mastered 3 above subclasses first)

Fighter
Vanguard (berserker damage)
Veteran (penetration damage)
Guardian (tanking)
Commander (group buffs)
Champion (counterattacks, defense debuffs)

Rogue

Assassin (critical hits)
Dirty Fighter (counterattacks)
Shadow (conceal party members)
Infiltrator (party first strike)
Master Thief (noncombat expertise, locks/traps/haggling)

Crafting (Any Archetype)

Master Chemist (potions)
Master Pyrosmith (bombs)
Master Craftsman (barricades/caltrops)

--------------

Note that each subclass requires around 4 Skill Points to master. Since character levels go to at least 18 (see Baed cultural ability), it is apparent that every character can ultimately master most subclasses throughout their career if the player wishes. However there are also numerous abilities that do not belong to subclasses, e.g. the Bard has 35 abilities in the Attack and Defense quadrants that don't fall on the path to any subclass.

Correction. Due to the "tiers" system, it takes a lot longer to master a subclass. It will take at least 16 points spent to access the "outer ring" where most "ultimate", subclass-defining abilities reside. After that, grabbing more "ultimates" will be relatively cheap, depending on build.

EDIT 07-17-18. I guess there are other, unlockable subclasses available as well, e.g. there is a special quest to unlock the Practicioner→Priest tree.

Last edited:

makchanka

Arbiter
HANDS-ON: THE BARD’S TALE IV IS A FRESH TAKE ON FANTASY ROLEPLAYING TROPES

[...]

When you’re not in combat you walk around the map just like you would in most other first-person RPGs, but you can feel the inspiration of old-school designs seeping through here as well. You’ll come across lots of puzzles, notes to read, and people to talk to.

Thanks to everyone ITT who prove that they are better than gaming journalists by posting impressions with some actual substance, instead of playing "who can fit the highest number of trite mannerisms into a single sentence."

I mean, journalists are largely trash to begin with. Expecting games journalism to be anything other than glorified advertising is silly. Then again, holy shit, that's garbage even for advertising. Good god.

i actually have never played a single RPG Maker-derived game.

Most of them are burning piles of ass, but some are actually better than some of the stuff coming out of, like, inexile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom