Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As flawed and decent/bad as Inquisition was, I liked Dorian, but man am I lazy to read this. Someone do it and provide tldr please.

Yeah, Dorian was actually a decent part of that game, but I have little interest in Gaider fan-fic about him getting emo at a funeral (I skiimmed to the end).

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
As flawed and decent/bad as Inquisition was, I liked Dorian, but man am I lazy to read this. Someone do it and provide tldr please.

I'm inclined to agree, but the problem is Bioware really can't write characters past their single focal issue and Dorian has major case of THE GAYS which kinda dooms his character. We get some glimpses into inner working of Tevinter and dude is sassy enough to appeal to certain audiences on that basic level, but at the end of the day he ran away because he was expected to marry and breed.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm inclined to agree, but the problem is Bioware really can't write characters past their single focal issue and Dorian has major case of THE GAYS which kinda dooms his character. We get some glimpses into inner working of Tevinter and dude is sassy enough to appeal to certain audiences on that basic level, but at the end of the day he ran away because he was expected to marry and breed.

Yeah, the motivations of the character to leave Tevinter and his uber-posh family were the least believable of them all. In such a society people would just be gay discreetly and have their children with their assigned spouse to maintain the family line, as would be expected of them. Unlike IRL where bloodlines don't matter so much any more, it was evidently a big thing in Tevinter, as described. Which makes his gay-tantrum even less credible. He's obviously not an idiot, and not that narcissistic.. IDK. Fuck Gaider basically.

I really liked Dorian's character otherwise and he was probably one of my most "human" characters (as opposed to complete caricatures) except for the "they gay made me leave and hate my father" thing. That part was just straight out of some 13yo faggots fantasy.

Delterius

Arcane
Worst part is that Dorian had quite a few better reasons to be estranged from his family than the prospects of a shitty marriage. Namely his distaste for Blood Magic and how Tevinter uses it as a crutch to walk down the roads of decline.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot

Eh, it's not fair. Dorian doesn't bring up gayness till you talk to him a lot or till his personal quest where it is important. And he has a lot to say about other things too. As a token Tevinter character he has an interesting perspective on slavery: he's unambiguously moral yet doesn't see anything wrong with slavery. He's also cynical of the faith but not in a boring STEM-masterrace way. He's well written. And his personal quest is nice because it touches upon problems that feudal society may have with sexual liberties instead of the obvious story of tolerance dominating over bigotry.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Dorian was really annoying whiny bitch. As a whole the game did have really shit companions and characters in general. I played it with casandra,blackwall and elf tranny.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Yeah, the motivations of the character to leave Tevinter and his uber-posh family were the least believable of them all. In such a society people would just be gay discreetly and have their children with their assigned spouse to maintain the family line, as would be expected of them. Unlike IRL where bloodlines don't matter so much any more, it was evidently a big thing in Tevinter, as described. Which makes his gay-tantrum even less credible. He's obviously not an idiot, and not that narcissistic.. IDK. Fuck Gaider basically.

Yeah, most people would do that, but if everyone would be completely rational we wouldn't have dramatic people who are not boring. His father was a dick and wanted to ungay Dorian when he was younger so it's not hard to see him going extreme about it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Yeah, most people would do that, but if everyone would be completely rational we wouldn't have dramatic people who are not boring. His father was a dick and wanted to ungay Dorian when he was younger so it's not hard to see him going extreme about it.
Nah Dorian was a shitstain at bet,he was pampered his whole life,got everything that wanted and when it came to do his duty he ran and whined about. Ohhhh poor oppressed faggot,he couldn't just pump up a few babies while having faggy boyfriend,that will be far too disrespectful of his righteous faggyness . And his evil evil father that wanted to continue the line and have grandchildren. Just fuck off mate.

frajaq

Erudite
Can't really blame Dorian for wanting to make his own decisions in life and not be essentially shackled by his father

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Dorian fled his family because of their attempt to make him happy about the marriage with blood magic.
That is true,but it ended at that point because he was the same whiny bitch with his family. He should just pump out a few kids and ride the slave dick all he wants,but no he had to be special snowflake. Honestly i hate that guy the most in the game,he oppose both things i believe in,duty and loyalty.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Is this game worth playing or not?

I played Origins and I didn't play the second (should I?) ..
Only if you really don't have anything better to do. Also why do you always ask if the game is worth playing? It is not like there aren't 200 pages of opinions on the topic. The game is shitty mmo clone made in to a single player game with retarded sjw writing and ugly female models. It is long repetitive with a shitty combat.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
It's OK but they really changed the core gameplay philosophy from Origins.

Origins is a classic RPG where you complete (almost) every sidequest to become strong enough and to earn proper ending. Inquisition tries to be a little like that Skyrim game everyone talks about so it boasts a lot of content that you may skip at will. This means you get a lot of shitty fetch quest that you may complete if you're passing by. I like the core idea behind this - you don't just make choices through various solution of quests, you also make a choice by ignoring stuff. If you try to play it like a completionist you will suffer.

Also there's a lot of trash combat. If you want to get deep into gameplay you should set difficulty on max and turn on some difficulty modifiers, like the ones adding random special abilities to some enemies. Then there's some strategy in combat, you'll have to craft your equipment. If you don't want to get really into the mechanics then just leave difficulty on normal and don't get too involved, just enjoy the ride and the view.

Delterius

Arcane
Dorian fled his family because of their attempt to make him happy about the marriage with blood magic.
That is true,but it ended at that point because he was the same whiny bitch with his family. He should just pump out a few kids and ride the slave dick all he wants,but no he had to be special snowflake. Honestly i hate that guy the most in the game,he oppose both things i believe in,duty and loyalty.
don't you think it ended at that point because his family decided to use mindrape to make someone happy about marrying a cunt

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
don't you think it ended at that point because his family decided to use mindrape to make someone happy about marrying a cunt
Well people don't just wake up one day and decide to brain wash their kid. You really have to piss off your father to endup like that. If he had just done his duty and pumped a few kids to keep the blood strong,there wouldn't have ended in such extremes. Freedom and choice are all fine and dandy but there is also duty to the family that took care of you for years. You waste at least 10 years of your life taking care of the kid and providing. It is pretty clear that he was written by a whiny millennial while siting on a fucking dildo.

Delterius

Arcane
Well people don't just wake up one day and decide to brain wash their kid. You really have to piss off your father to endup like that.
If some noble were awfully resistant to marriage in ye olde days they'd be sent to an order and unofficially cut off inheritance in some way -- such as accusations in one's last wills, etc. Mindrape is something else, since filial piety goes both ways.

Dorian is also an entitled noble wuss whatboutist who believes knows what's best for everyone and sees paternal value in slavery. If he didn't have any faillings, then he'd be too perfect.

No, what I think is worth criticizing here is how much of an obvious gay conversion therapy parallel his story devolves into. As I said, there are quite a few other things that could have lead to the breaking point between Dorian and his father. Like his stance on Blood Magic itself.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well people don't just wake up one day and decide to brain wash their kid. You really have to piss off your father to endup like that.
If some noble were awfully resistant to marriage in ye olde days they'd be sent to an order and unofficially cut off inheritance in some way -- such as accusations in one's last wills, etc. Mindrape is something else, since filial piety goes both ways.

Dorian is also an entitled noble wuss whatboutist who believes knows what's best for everyone and sees paternal value in slavery. If he didn't have any faillings, then he'd be too perfect.

No, what I think is worth criticizing here is how much of an obvious gay conversion therapy parallel his story devolves into. As I said, there are quite a few other things that could have lead to the breaking point between Dorian and his father. Like his stance on Blood Magic itself.
I fully agree with you,the character feels like it is written in two different ways. Maybe the project director told the writer to make him faggot half way trough the writing process. And later on told him to make it the main focus of his personality. I did like his idea on the slavery,it is practical thing and it is not much different than the modern day wage slavery. On the blood magic,they clearly the writer didn't get the Tevinter setting right when writing the guy. Clearly it would have been a lot bigger deal than being fag. Oh well it is no surprise,agenda pushing does that to characters. I found it kind of stupid that he was the that important,it is illogical that they don't have like five kids. If i was a noble i would have wanted big family and would have killed off that faggot long time ago.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

Well yea, but Gaider makes Blood Magic basically omnipotent in order to serve his dumbass gay conversion therapy twist. It's too contrived to be taken seriously.

Dorian could have been just gay. Or not. It really doesn't matter. The gay conversion bullshit is coarsly tacked on, for no good reason.

Remove it, and nothing changes about Dorian's character. That's how you can tell.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Dorian is probably the best written out of all the companions tbh.

The blood magic gay conversion therapy is stupid. But the point is that he leaves due to it, which considering his hate on blood magic, and his being not so much of power hungry mage like most Tervinter nobles are means that he really has noe reason to stay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom