Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Banner Saga 3 Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stoic Studio; The Banner Saga 3

Ah, Banner Saga. Once one of the banner (heh) examples of early Kickstarter success, it's since become perhaps the archetypal victim of RPG sequel fatigue syndrome. The Banner Saga 2 was a commercial failure, but developer Stoic swore they'd conclude the trilogy anyway, and so they have. In The Banner Saga 3, the heroes of the Norse-themed setting make their last stand against the darkness that's engulfing the world. While one half of the party helps defend the last human city of Arberrang, the other half must venture forth into the darkness in a desperate attempt to defeat it. You can see some of that in the game's launch trailer:

Reviews of Banner Saga 3 are quite positive, citing its dramatic storyline and extensive save import reactivity for praise. Not all of the journos were happy with the game's challenging multi-wave combat scenarios, though. Here are all of the reviews I was able to find:

The Banner Saga 3 is available now on Steam and GOG for $25. Good luck to Stoic - this may be the last we ever see of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
From what I've been reading, it's the best game of the saga and closes the story in good ways.

I hope they sell well enough so they can continue in the business doing games like this. Next, a sci fi one pls

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Played the first one from start to finish on my Ipad during a boring ass trip over a weekend and I have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit; the combat is relatively simple but interesting, the graphics gorgeous and the story frankly refreshing... no chosen one or saving the world here, the best you can do is stave off death for awhile in this doomed world
Really hope Stoic does well and people give this series a chance

Tigranes

Arcane
First one was pretty good, but never felt like I craved more and skipped the second. Could pick this up if some noticeable improvements/changes were made.

The initiative system's really weird - it didn't 'ruin' the game for me but it certainly forces playstyles.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Banner Saga 2 was a commercial failure, but developer Stoic swore they'd conclude the trilogy anyway, and so they have.

Gotta appreciate that dedication. :salute:

Other than that, pretty much what Tigranes said. Liked the first one, didn't feel like playing the second yet. Those games are also pretty expensive for being very short experiences. I'll eventually get them when they are on sale.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
BS1 was the biggest Kickstarter disappointment for me, and I've also played PoE, Wasteland 2 and Tides of Numenera.

The game had a lot of problems, but what really killed it for me was probably the fake-gameplay caravan management, where events kept appearing even after all your villagers died of hunger (which should have been a game over).

Still, kudos to Stoic for finishing the trilogy, and it is hard to argue that these are very pretty-looking and good-sounding games.

EDIT: Maybe BS2 and BS3 are better, but I am not very willing to check that after the first game.

tindrli

Arcane
i think ill play it eventually. maybe when 70% off. still need to play second part first

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Guess I'll replay the first one and get the other ones at some point. Gotta reward these guys for finishing their stuff, imo.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game had a lot of problems, but what really killed it for me was probably the fake-gameplay caravan management, where events kept appearing even after all your villagers died of hunger (which should have been a game over).
That sucks, and would have really killed my immersion, but how in gods name did you even get to this point?

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, i think none of us ever got to a point where we noticed. it really is a visual novel with combat scenarios though

I had liked the combat in the first one, though I didn't have the time to finish it back then. No idea how BS2 turned out but I'm glad they managed to conclude the trilogy. Now I have an entire series of 3 games to look forward to playing.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, i think none of us ever got to a point where we noticed. it really is a visual novel with combat scenarios though
It has pretty good C&C along with the obviously gorgeous graphics which makes it enjoyable enough for me. I don't know if it's worth 20 bucks, but definitely worth if you can get it on sale. Or just pirate it.*shrug*

Septaryeth

Augur
BS1 was the biggest Kickstarter disappointment for me, and I've also played PoE, Wasteland 2 and Tides of Numenera.

They attempted to address the issue in BS2 by making villagers somewhat useful. They collect food supplies so you can rest more frequent and preserve your fighters/varls.

Here is the kicker however; the fighters and varls were used in skirmish to make a skirmish easier back in BS1, you can even sacrificed them to skip an encounter entirely.
But there is no skirmish in BS2, meaning there is no real advantages of having more fighters/varls now and the point of having villagers is to provide food for resting and the higher morale from resting.

I'm currently playing BS3 and I can see they tried to improve the encounters. There are conditions for certain fights and you get punished for dragging the fight for too long.
Yet some how they still kept that obnoxious initiative system... which is funny, because the only reason why a fight tends to drag too long is due to that initiative system.
Anyway at least the reinforcement system allows you to swap units after each wave in the encounter should you choose to keep on fighting, meaning you get to use other units and risk it for the rewards.
But it's buggy at the moment. All the reinforced unit shared the same armor value and status as the ones you swapped out.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
The games would have been better received (here) if there were more 'Game Over' screens on hard difficulty, by losing too many people or having more key battles etc. Kind pointless to get invested when it doesn't matter too much.

Here is the kicker however; the fighters and varls were used in skirmish to make a skirmish easier back in BS1, you can even sacrificed them to skip an encounter entirely.
But there is no skirmish in BS2, meaning there is no real advantages of having more fighters/varls now and the point of having villagers is to provide food for resting and the higher morale from resting.

There were a few of those war/skirmish encounters, that's the grey colored pop-up, right? But maybe like <10 total for whole of TBS2 compared to more than that per chapter in TBS1.

Dodo1610

Arcane

This!
The game suffers because people expected it to be a turn based tactics game but in truth it's a visual novel with a tb mini-game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom