Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Gothic Trilogy...

Heresiarch said:
Can anyone spoil the plot or the ending of G3?
I'm curious too as I've finished TES:Gothic twice and have yet to encounter a plot. However, unlike the previous games, there isn’t a single static ending. There are different game ending missions dependant on faction and, similar to Fallout, the player is presented with a series of vignettes illustrating the consequences his actions through the game

Murk

Arcane
WalterKinde said:
Avoid the 3 disc collection at all costs unless you don't have the first two Gothics.
Thanks to the idiots putting the wrong type of copy protection on the Gothic 3 disc (there should have been none) using certain dvd-rom drives (damned if i know which kinds) the game will refuse to properly install, then if you somehow pass that mark you have to IMMEDIATELY get the Gothic 3 Patches to remove the drm from the game since the game will refuse to run claiming you do not have the original Gothic 3 disc in the drive.
They really fucked up Gothic 3 in that collection.

so many questions have just been answered

fucking 'tards, thanks for the heads up

zodden

Scholar
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Well, thanks for all the feedback.

I think I'm going to roll the dice and pick up the threepack on amazon (it's like 25 bucks or something). The action-y combat doesn't really bother me that much.

Question about the numerous technical issues, especially when concerning 3. I'm one of those people that for some reason had a hell of a time getting The Witcher to run properly (I finally beat it in the end, but I was dealing with a crash about every 30 minutes towards the end there). Am I to expect the same amount of headaches with 3, or even more?

Make sure you install the Community Patch for Gothic 3. Its up to 1.6 now I believe.

http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=151286

It makes the game stable for the most part and fixes a great deal of problems. If you don't install it you will probably not have much fun playing.

As for the games itself I found Gothic 2 the most fun. Gothic 1 was also fun but the interface is quite cumbersome. Gothic 3 with the patch is pretty good but I find that the combat system in G3 is messed up, even with the patch. Playing as a Mage was the workaround for that for me, since he fights from range with spells.

Kavax

Scholar
Thanks to this thread, I found and bought Gothic I and Gothic II Gold. I have just started playing Gothic I (I'm going to play them chronologically) and I'm having a great time. I love the setting, the atmosphere, the non-lethal combat, the unforgivenness, the dialogs! and I don't remember any RPG with so much to do for thieves other than maybe the Quest for Glory games.

I have decided to join the New Camp. Freedom! :)

Ammar

Scholar
Kavax said:
Thanks to this thread, I found and bought Gothic I and Gothic II Gold. I have just started playing Gothic I (I'm going to play them chronologically) and I'm having a great time. I love the setting, the atmosphere, the non-lethal combat, the unforgivenness, the dialogs! and I don't remember any RPG with so much to do for thieves other than maybe the Quest for Glory games.

I have decided to join the New Camp. Freedom! :)

The problem with Gothic 1 is that it quickly becomes very linear. Well, you'll see that for yourself and it's the main reason I like G2+Addon more than G1, despite the basic story premise of G1 being better.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Right, I didn't play G3, but what I heard really doesn't hold up to that claim.

So tell me, ecliptic, why? Is it like G1 and G2 after all? I just played the demo, and while it looked great the combat was... well... not very fun, and the characters seemed liked caricatures of their G1/2 versions.

Mareus

Magister
Stauff said:
Even under most exquisite tortures I will never proclaim Morrowind or Oblivion to be on par with Gothic series.
I wouldn't do that either. Morrowind is better than any Gothic game, while Oblivion is worthless piece of shit that is an insult to the RPG genre.

Stauff said:
...*snip* ..Even now it's graphics, AI, world design are on par with modern RPG titles.

I wouldn't call that a good recommendation. LOL

Raapys

Arcane
Jasede said:
Right, I didn't play G3, but what I heard really doesn't hold up to that claim.

So tell me, ecliptic, why? Is it like G1 and G2 after all? I just played the demo, and while it looked great the combat was... well... not very fun, and the characters seemed liked caricatures of their G1/2 versions.

The best thing is to just list up the things the game was hated for: Bugs/crashes, crappy performance and crappy melee combat.

The latest community patch takes care of the bugs and crashes, and a high-end computer takes care of the performance( although loading times are long, even with a Raid0 system ). Which unfortunately still leaves crappy melee combat.

But other than that, yes, it is a Gothic game, but with a more non-linear approach and some other differences. Better in a few ways maybe, worse in others; personally, for instance, I preferred Gothic 1 & 2's way of actually joining a guild/city, rather than G3's reputation-based system.

Mareus said:
I wouldn't do that either. Morrowind is better than any Gothic game, while Oblivion is worthless piece of shit that is an insult to the RPG genre.

I think Morrowind is great, but I'd probably put Gothic 1 above an un-modded Morrowind.

Micmu

Magister
Gothic 1 > Gothic 2 > Gothic 3
Agreed. Except that I'd put G2:NoTR between G1 and G2 and "utter shit" between G2 and G3.

They're fun RPG-inspired action/adventures, expect nothing more, though.

Kraszu

Prophet
Let use voting to decide what games are better, democracy declineofthecodex.

Thrasher

Erudite
I like Morrowind's lore over Gothic 2's, but I like Gothic 2's combat better (even though it's more player skill based).

bgillisp

Scholar
I played Gothic 2 and add on as my first Gothic, was really hard at first but I did manage to adapt. Just take your time to learn the controls and don't try to take on everything you see and you will be fine. There are some monsters I had to skip or run past until a much later chapter when I had better armor or weapons.

Gothic 3 ran fine on my computer, just the load time was ridiculous. I managed to read a book during the loads to that game. Also the combat was horrible! The boars killing you quickly wasn't the biggest problem to me, but the idea that I can attack everyone in a city and they will attack one at a time. Yep, they just lined up and all came at me single file, while the rest waited and took no swings. The archers still fired and spellcasters still cast though, but the warriors just took turns coming at me to be slaugthered. Even the fan patch doesn't fix that.

Ammar

Scholar
What killed G3 was not the bad combat, the bugs or performance problems. It's how incredible *shallow* the game has become.

Dialogue has been cut back down terribly (G3 has less audio time than G2 even without the Addon), NPCs have been mostly reduced to one-time quest-givers. Revisiting a place is pointless and even plot important NPCs have barely anything to say.

Best example is Xardas. You try to find him to find out what the fuck he is doing, why he destroyed the rune magic and helped the orcs win the war and he basically just says "Oh, there you are at last. I need you to do this..." Compared with G2 where you could question him about his past this seems incredibly shallow.

And the whole story-design just sucks. Remember, one of the premises of the plots is that people have to recover the old magic since rune magic has ceased working. Could make an awesome series of quests out of that, but instead there's a teacher for the magic skill in the first rebel camps and you can buy spells from the Innos shrine at the starting village.

Fez

Erudite
You feel the content of G3 was spread rather thinner than the previous games?

OsirisGod

Liturgist
Gothic 1 and 2 are verry good games but 3 i cannot recomend. Verry much worth a playthrough atleast once , but give the interface/combat system 30min-1hr to get used to and you will discover 2 gems in the RPG genre.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Ammar said:
What killed G3 was not the bad combat, the bugs or performance problems. It's how incredible *shallow* the game has become.

And the whole story-design just sucks. Remember, one of the premises of the plots is that people have to recover the old magic since rune magic has ceased working. Could make an awesome series of quests out of that, but instead there's a teacher for the magic skill in the first rebel camps and you can buy spells from the Innos shrine at the starting village.

Yeah that absolutely made no sense, the way the npcs complained about the loss of rune magic you'd think there would be no magic for an early part of the game.
At least thats what i thought until i found my first working magic scroll inside the starter town/village.
By the time i got into the capital it made no sense that the ranking mages in there couldn't do magic etc since your character fresh off boat was not only able to learn spells at shrines but also use random magic scrolls you found in chests or after combat.

Having said all that its not a bad game if you ignore the bugs etc but its no solid ball park hit either, they wanted too badly to ride the Oblivion train, the same way Gothic 4 is going to try to ride that train again, what they are forgetting is that Oblivion was released across multiple platforms while the Gothic Series on the other hand is a PC only RPG, talk to Xbox, PS3 owners of Oblivion and they will say its the best RPG they have ever played, you can see the distinction there, having grown up on JRPGS, KOTOR and Zelda, Oblivion would seem like the Bomb if you have never played any other type of RPG.

DefJam101

Arcane
Well it doesn't make Oblivion a good game, it just makes it a 'surprisingly great and innovative' game in a genre that today's youth grows up thinking is a pile of shit reserved for complete nerds. In that sense they suck it's dick like no tomorrow, even though they themselves don't really enjoy it that much.

zodden

Scholar
bgillisp said:
but the idea that I can attack everyone in a city and they will attack one at a time. Yep, they just lined up and all came at me single file, while the rest waited and took no swings. The archers still fired and spellcasters still cast though, but the warriors just took turns coming at me to be slaugthered. Even the fan patch doesn't fix that.

Supposedly Community patch 1.7 when it comes out is supposed to change that. More than one NPC will be able to hit you at the same time.

http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=155579

Lumpy

Arcane
muds_animal_friend said:
Heresiarch said:
Can anyone spoil the plot or the ending of G3?
I'm curious too as I've finished TES:Gothic twice and have yet to encounter a plot. However, unlike the previous games, there isn’t a single static ending. There are different game ending missions dependant on faction and, similar to Fallout, the player is presented with a series of vignettes illustrating the consequences his actions through the game
Funny how everything you said in your post makes it completely different from TES.

Oblivion300

Novice
for me:

Oblivion = Gothic 1 > Gothic 2 >> Gothic 3

G1 had really good climate which was lost in G2 due to more colorfull graphics. G3 is just shit with fine box (graphics) but still tastes like shit.

And remember Oblivion equalizes G1 only when heavily modded, im talikng about FCOM + other stuff. Vanilla is slightly better than G3 though ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom