Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for associate(s) to develop an indie rpg game

Mojo

Scholar
I agree, I will try to just ignore it from now on.

J1M

Arcane
Mojo said:
http://brandonc.net/Website/gallery/metextured1.jpg

This one looks like stock. Yes, the guy has some pretty good stuff though ( regarding enviromental art, max renders etc). What do you want me to do? Your criticism is okay J1M and I don't mind it. You already made it quite clear that you think my models are "not that good".

Though suggesting something like "you ripped off your models from Poser" will only make me laugh ( it's in all honesty, a really retarded claim, in all levels, also offensive) and posting a link to a guy that charges by the hour and probably doesn't have the least interest in working in an isometric rpg won't prove any point.

Also :

http://brandonc.net/Website/gallery/shogoreal8.jpg
LOL, you have to be kidding me. You are calling a game-poly version of himself modelled from his own photo stock? That you think it is stock means he did a really good job of creating a character that looks like it belongs in SSX.

You are totally missing the point. This guy has proven he can do more than create one male model wearing one coat and one set of gloves. You haven't. If me saying your stuff looked like it was from Poser offended you, maybe you shouldn't make art that is bland and looks like it belongs in poser.

Mareus

Magister
I am glad you finally agreed to ignore some people. I haven't had time to participate in this thread more, so I would like to return to the comparrison of Uriel Septim and your characters. I think Cardrtick said your models don't look human enough, but to me they look a lot better than anything from Oblivion. Yes, the ears could do some more work, but other than that, they look pretty good and far better than many models from AAA games I have seen in recent years. I also like the style, because your characters look a bit cartoonish, but for me that is a good thing. I am sick of all the realism crap and we need some different aproach.

Personally if I knew anything about programming I would join you based just on what I have seen so far. Most people here really don't understand how hard it is to find a quality artist who can make such things and he is offering himself for free. Just for example, some people ask 1$ per sprite for RPG maker VX, and those sprites don't look even close to this.

I don't know why some people here attacked you, but I guess this is why codex is such a fun place. Maybe you just sounded a bit too pompous at the beginning. But I think it should be obvious to anyone of any intelligence you are clearly not a pompous ass because you have apologized for making it sound like that in the first place, so anyone who is still stciking to it is just a retard and asking for an argument.

But you do have to harden up and just learn to ignore idiots. I like the idea, I like the art you made, so don't give up. If you need a programmer I suggest you seek elsewhere and use different aproach. I would suggest that you show some of your models and just write something short like this:
"Artist searching a programmer for a game set in western apocalyptic world. Here is some of my work."

You should avoid long posts, because there will always be some idiot who might get offended, and the shortness combined with your models will intrigue people enough to come into contact with you. Trust me programmers know how hard it is to find a skilled artist and I really think you will have no problem finding someone to replace your old partner.

One more thing. That you have intrigued people around here, shows the length of this thread. When I posted my ideas about the game I am making, I got barely several replies. LOL

So harden up and don't give up. You have some real talent.

Given all that has happened in this thread, Jim and Aikanaro are just attacking for the sake of attacking. Give it a fucking rest, guys.

sportforredneck said:
Carrie Underwood said:
sportforredneck said:
Carrie Underwood said:
Oh yea, I really fucked with the small group of people who responded to that thread.
I missed the part where it was a joke. Oops for me.

Sarcasm detection failed!
I knew you were being sarcastic there, I was just saying that in general I didn't see that it was a joke before. And now your wiki is just dragging it out.

It wasn't really a joke, more of a parody on all the "look at mi gaem idear!" threads. It quickly evolved into something more. It stopped being a joke, and turned into a general interest of mine, by page 3. The problem is, some people have a hard time coming to terms with me creating anything that doesn't involve Oblivion sprite comics.

J1M

Arcane
Mojo said:
But go on J1M, follow in WT2 glorious footsteps.
You sure are acting smug for someone who has never successfully completed a project.

But hey, you know everything so I'll leave you to continue your track record of success.

J1M said:
But hey, you know everything so I'll leave you to continue your track record of success.
He is an accomplished musician though! Accomplished in that he can play Stairway to Heaven on a guitar without looking at notes or tabs. Ooh, special.

Mojo

Scholar
Thanks Mareus. And I will continue this project somehow, sometime, I'm sure of that.

Sportforredneck : I can also play all Britney Spears songs on the Minimoog.

OsirisGod

Liturgist
I consider this a decent game model for an indie game ,
http://www.visualart.ro/forum/showthread.php?t=14902
It was made by a hobbist not claiming to be an acomplished artist for a competition he didnt even qualify in .

I am posting that so as to make you realise how high the stakes are in this day and age. Your models are not bad and would probablly be acceptable in an indie game but the issue for me is that they all look to be from an identical mesh that has been modified for each, wich does not give enough variation , because no mater how manny vertexes you pull you will have verry similar muscle structure.

Also you need to really think if you want to do this or is this just another "i wanna make a game but i have no fucking ideea what i am doing" kinda thing. You need a design document , you need sketches of locations and dialogs writen , or it will not be exactlly clear wtf your trying to do or where is this going.

Also a programmer these days is rare so you may have some problems getting one , even as an artist you have to realise a skilled C++ coder that can solo code a game can go to cgtalk.com and post a "Need artist" thread and get 1000 people on his dick , because 3d modellers these days are a dime a dozen , this seems to be the next HTML /PHP get rich quick syndrome that got to the point of everryone and their mother doing 3d and being an "artist"

I admire that you wish to do this and i hope you dont take this post as a personal attack it is meant more as
a reality check .
Also you can allways try to do it alone by using some of the more flexible integrated engines that require less coding , such as Panda3d wich should work decentlly and only needs python scripting to get things done.

OsirisGod

Liturgist
Why not? It's a hobbist model made for a competition in a rather short time , as impressive as it may seem it's nothing out of the ordinary as i said go on cgtalk and you can get way better 3d works from people that do this for fun.

Mojo

Scholar
Not at all OsirisGod. That model is really quality. I actually made good use of a tutorial by the same artist on hair alphas months ago wich was based on that exact character model, the 'Varga" character.

But, your point is indeed missed. Finding someone better than me? piece of cake. Hell, fart, blink, stretch, and you will do it. That's one of the facts of life, there's always someone better. That goes for anyone, be it a writer, programmer or whatever. I have no doubt that artist has superior skills and more experience than me in real time game models.

But there are a lot of things wich you must understand before making any such comparison :

How much time and effort was spent in that model?

It was made with what kind of engine in mind?

What software was used for making the texture, model and else?

It was rendered in what software?

Where is that artist working right now?

How much does he charge by the hour?

Would he be interested in working on a turn-based rpg? Would he be interested in doing it if he wasn't paid by the hour, money upfront?

By the logic wich you use to point me to that as criticism, you could likewise perhaps post that link on ITS forums or Taleworlds and claim that the artists working on M&B or AOD need a "reality check". Like I said before in this thread, there are many things wich you need to consider before judging my work, or the work on indie games like M&B and AOD for that matter. Here are the facts about my work, wich were already presented before :

* It was made with an isometric camera with limited zoom/rotation in mind. Hence there was no need for extra detail and ears with 500 polygons and ultra-realistic skin pigmentation ;) .

* I was one man realisticcaly ( or perhaps, not realisticcaly :lol: ) making the art for a whole game, wich was a big rpg. I could not afford to spend nearly 20 hours on a model as many professionals working on the industry do. The average time I spent on each character was probably something like 5 hours.

Now, about the "What an untalented asshole he used a base mesh for all his characters" comment ( wich wasn't your really, WT2 did it), that's frankly, ridiculous. How many face/hand meshes do you think M&B uses for instance? 1. 1 for male and 1 for female. Do you think every male/female model wasn't built upon a positioned base mesh as well? wrong.

How many face meshes does oblivion uses for each race/gender? That's right, one. Because they used facegen and that's what facegen does, it twiks a base mesh.

Base body models in one position used to design every character in a game? That's an industry standard on games that require moddable characters, and specially, many characters :wink: . Every male model was built upon a base male body mesh. Same for female characters.I used a base head mesh with basic shape modified for every character. Is there something wrong in being practical? If I had a team of 20 talented artists working for me I could make every character 100% unique on the tecnnical level and made from scratch, but that was not the case.

I could give you a list of games that go that route actually. A very large list.

To claim my characters are alike though, is really unfair in my opinion. But each to his own mind.

Now with all that in mind, if you still think I'm way over my head if I think my work is worth a damn, then I guess I'm left without argument and I will gladly accept your opinion.

Hory

Erudite
Mojo said:
To claim my characters are alike though, is really unfair in my opinion. But each to his own mind.
The african guy, russian-looking "nazi" and the third/poor guy have extremely similar facial features. I was going to make a joke earlier about them being brothers from different fathers, but I felt as if there was plenty of criticism already. But I have bring this up, now that YOU also commented on it.

OsirisGod

Liturgist
I didn't say you work is not worth a damn and that model was posted so maybe i tried to point out that starting from a clear concept can achive better results. And btw , 20 hrs for a model sounds not that bad tbh , since you should aim for something semi complex in my opinion as a hobbist , not try to make a game world of the same size as Gothic 1/2/3.
10 Location , 10 Quest giver NPCs and say 20 Filler NPCs (wich you can clone and just use texture variations , nobody would mind , ffs look at fallout ).
It was discussed a long time btw on visualart.ro about the "my work may not be great but i do 100 models/day" thing , and the conclusion was its not really a good thing.

But you do what you please. The important thing is that you are happy with your results and if you did not get my post on coders ima not explain to you that i tried to say that coders are RARE and modellers are NOT and thus u dont weigh much in the ballance of a coder when he can mabe choose from 10 other Graphic Artists unless your work is breathtaking. (marketing *hint*).

Anyway i wish you luck and will stop posting since i do not wish to give you the impression that i posted to piss on your work or skills , i just expressed my opinion and hope i did not offend anyone, also good luck and who knows u might find what you are looking for.

OsirisGod

Liturgist
Hory said:
Mojo said:
The african guy, russian-looking "nazi" and the third/poor guy have extremely similar facial features. I was going to make a joke earlier about them being brothers from different fathers, but I felt as if there was plenty of criticism already. But I have bring this up, now that YOU also commented on it.

That is because they were probablly all sculpted from ZBrush'es Base Head Mesh.

J1M

Arcane
Mojo said:
But there are a lot of things wich you must understand before making any such comparison :

How much time and effort was spent in that model?

It was made with what kind of engine in mind?

What software was used for making the texture, model and else?

It was rendered in what software?

Where is that artist working right now?

How much does he charge by the hour?
Might want to add in huge font "how well does he communicate and incorporate constructive critcism?" to that list and remove all the excuses about software tools.

Mojo's work is as good as that of any professional creating free, unrigged, unboned Wings 3D models for a turn-based, post-apocalyptic, 1930s, western RPG with characters who wear bowler hats, weight-lifting gloves, and prosthetic ears. I defy you to find something better, but if you do, it's almost certainly because Mojo's work is rushed, unfinished, and unlighted.

Honestly, you critics better put up or shut up, or you're all a bunch of hater retards.

Mojo

Scholar
5 hours on a *model*. Then there's importing to zbrush, making nmaps, then texturing, then rigging, than importing everything into the engine. It's not a very easy work.

That is because they were probablly all sculpted from ZBrush'es Base Head Mesh.

What base head mesh? I use Zbrush 3.0 and there's no such thing.

As for "artists are hard to find, programmers aren't" I call bullshit on that. Both are very hard to find, specially if you are into a project that has no money involved, asking someone to work for 1 or 2 years with no warranties and no hourly pay-off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom