Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It was a spin-off, released back when the anti-shooter sentiment didn't exist in the gaming community.

I honestly don't ever recall a time when a "too different" sequel wasn't hated on sight, nor do I remember C&C: Renegade getting the love this thread implies it did. In fact I remember most people on whatever forums I was on at the time ragging on it for being an FPS, same as they would this shitty mobile thing now.

deuxhero

Arcane
Inclusion. It’s more than just recognizing everybody. Instead, inclusion puts together the best of equality, representation, and integration. In NBA Live 19, you’ll get the chance to see female created players for the first time in NBA Live’s history. Not only will you be able to create your own player, but women will now also be included in the game and can embark on their own career mode in The Rise.
http://archive.is/aJmy7

MEANWHILE! In 2003!

qczzsg.png

EA readding features it used to have over a decade and a half ago.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What's a female? I thought we graduated from gender being a social construct to all biological sex definitions being a social construct.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/origins-free-game-program-on-the-house-has-been-retired/

Origin's free game program On the House has been 'retired'
EA has quietly pulled the plug on Origin's game giveaway program.

Electronic Arts said during a financial call yesterday that Origin Access Premier, an upgraded version of its subscription-based Origin Access service that will provide full, unlimited access to EA games, will go live next week. More quietly, it also pulled the plug on Origin's "On the House" program, which provided free games to everyone—including non-Access subscribers—on an intermittent, time-limited basis.

On the House debuted in 2014 with the most excellent survival-horror game Dead Space, and since then has made numerous other games, including Bejeweled, Battlefield 3, Theme Hospital, Syndicate, Peggle, and Dragon Age: Origins, free for the taking, without catches or take-backs. The games generally weren't EA's latest and greatest but free is free, and dated or not a lot of the games it offered were really quite good.

Earlier today, however, Reddit noticed that the link to the On the House page is, without notice, redirecting to Origin's front page. EA had made no prior announcement about eliminating On the House, but a rep confirmed in email that it has been dropped.

"Origin On the House has been retired and games will no longer be offered through the program. This change won’t affect any games players downloaded from the service prior to that date—those are theirs to keep forever," the rep said.

"Even though this chapter of On the House is coming to an end, we’re happy that we got to introduce so many great games to our awesome players. We’re constantly looking for ways to improve our service and give our users an even better experience, and we thank everyone for being part of our community."

Disappointing though it is that we won't be lifting any more free stuff out of EA's pockets, I'm not really surprised that On the House is going away. In a market that was utterly dominated by Steam, EA needed a way to attract attention to its own platform, and nothing says "look over here" like the promise of free games. But I don't think it's quite the priority that it was Origin's early days: Steam is still the behemoth, but we've largely adjusted to the idea of publisher-specific storefronts and launchers, and new EA games requiring Origin instead of Steam no longer seems like a big deal—so the need to compensate for it just isn't there anymore.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/so...ss_to_prevent_battlefront_ii-like_disasters/1
In a recent interview, EA's VP of strategic growth, Matt Bilbey, has stated that the publisher has created a "moral compass", which is designed to ensure that their future "live services" are designed and tested early to ensure the company maintains "pillars of fairness, value, and fun".

This "moral compass" comes as a direct result of EA's Star Wars: Battlefront II controversy, stemming from the game's original "loot box" system.
The system, as designed, promoted a pay-to-win economy, with some item drops allowing players to gain a statistical advantage over others in the title's online multiplayer modes.
EA removed Battlefront II's paid loot box option shortly before the game's launch, leaving these items available through loot crate drops, purchasable only using in-game currency.
The downside of this was that experienced players with plenty of items still gave them an advantage over newcomers.
Later, the game's loot system was removed from Star Wars: Battlefront II title entirely, creating a cosmetic only microtransactions system for the game, though even today the game has a negative perception within the gaming community.

Bilbey says that "We learned a lot from Star Wars: Battlefront", prompting him to create a team alongside Patrick Söderlund to "redesign our game development framework and testing platforms" to ensure that similar mistakes are not made in the future.
This change includes early testing with gamers and greater attention to consumer feedback.
Star Wars Battlefront II was a disaster for EA, throwing the company into a position where both Star Wars fans and gamers alike, both of which are very vocal customers, garnered a lot of media attention and even got politicians to start looking into in-game "loot boxes".

Hopefully, EA's newfound moral compass will guide them to better places in the future, though it seems clear that the publisher has no intention to move away from their popular "live services" game model.

image.png

yeah, sure. i remember perfectly the stardock's "contract with the players", or how paradox ceo personally promised me they would stop with crappy launches and endless dlcs. and they're small fishes. ea would lose billions by respecting its customers, it's just not possible.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Didn't Ubisoft also promise in early 2017 that they were going to do better and stop their shady shit? I could have sworn they did but now I can't find the articles.

Meanwhile they're already starting the process of milking the Assassin's Creed "reboot", with Origins 1.5 releasing later this year.

Shady publishers will never change. It's simply not possible.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Didn't Ubisoft also promise in early 2017 that they were going to do better and stop their shady shit? I could have sworn they did but now I can't find the articles.

Meanwhile they're already starting the process of milking the Assassin's Creed "reboot", with Origins 1.5 releasing later this year.

Shady publishers will never change. It's simply not possible.

Best way to stop annual franchise releases is for consumers to stop wanting annual franchise releases. Unfortunately they DO want them, and Ubisoft's job is to make money, so who the fuck is really to blame here?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Best way to stop annual franchise releases is for consumers to stop wanting annual franchise releases. Unfortunately they DO want them, and Ubisoft's job is to make money, so who the fuck is really to blame here?

To be fair, the AC Origins 'reboot' happened because players were getting fed up with those annual releases, with both Unity and Syndicate doing very poorly. I have no doubt that Ubisoft will milk the 'reboot' again and there will be enough retards to keep the cycle going for a while, but I doubt it will last as long this time around.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
To be fair, the AC Origins 'reboot' happened because players were getting fed up with those annual releases, with both Unity and Syndicate doing very poorly. I have no doubt that Ubisoft will milk the 'reboot' again and there will be enough retards to keep the cycle going for a while, but I doubt it will last as long this time around.

Yes but that was my point, consumers are the deciders. If whatever Origins' sequel is called sells less, and then the next one even less, Ubisoft will reboot again or whatever. If the Marvel movies start making less than a gajillion dollars then maybe we'll see more blockbusters that aren't CGI superhero nonsense. It goes on and on. I try and stay focused on hating most of humanity rather than blaming businesses for businessin'.

Duraframe300

Arcane
It was a spin-off, released back when the anti-shooter sentiment didn't exist in the gaming community.

I honestly don't ever recall a time when a "too different" sequel wasn't hated on sight, nor do I remember C&C: Renegade getting the love this thread implies it did. In fact I remember most people on whatever forums I was on at the time ragging on it for being an FPS, same as they would this shitty mobile thing now.

The multiplayer portion always got plenty of love (among those that played the game ofc. The others weren’t even aware of it)

Gerrard

Arcane
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/96e9j5/ea_deleted_my_origin_account_and_ea_help_is/

Guy loses his Origin account with hundreds of dollars worth of games, EA support claims that all info was deleted and it's not their problem. r00fles!

Himanshu: There is no way to verify your proof of purchase.
Himanshu: We are unable to fetch any information by your game codes.
you: nowhy?? i have transaction IDs, I still have that credit card, i have receipts, i have the same phone no, same email \
* id*
you: why can't it be verified
Himanshu: Because all your details were on your account.
Himanshu: And now there is no account.
Himanshu: So how can we verify you and your purchases
No account, no problem!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
From one of the posts there:

My account was lost and I spent hours on the phone only to get it back with zero games on it. Then for the guy on the other end to tell me that the games were all old any way and I should get newer stuff

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Digital gaming at its best. Buy games, lose games, buy newer games, profit. :thumbsup:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Sounds like he was haxzored rather than EA just deleting his games for funsies. They say they got a deletion request, perhaps after certain things were transferred. EA should definitely have records and ways to recover an account though, that's B.S. I lost my Steam account for a hot minute and got it restored with credit card numbers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom