Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout New Vegas is the best Obsidian game ever

Drax

Arcane
About the most flattering thing I can say about FNV is that I thought it was better than F3. FNV = slightly above average, F3 = bad. I know of only one reason why an average game that is eclipsed by its predecessors gets so much praise.
The mindless, contrarian praise that New Vegas has gotten after the release of 4 is autistic as fuck but dismissing it is equally as retarded. The only thing markedly worse in New Vegas is the combat and the combat was never really good to begin with. People don't just overpraise New Vegas; 1 and 2 are overpraised as well.
NV has great world building? How do we explain the functioning and just the existence of the Legion then? Ridiculous.
Meaning....?
They are illogical.
Your mom is illogical

/melcar mode off

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
The concept of the Legion as a functioning faction in the game world is fine. The issue is the goofy cosplay costumes, which is some Bethesda tier stupidity that really damages the whole experience. But this kind of silliness had already begun to appear in F2, maybe this was the inevitable destiny of Fallout as a series, and Bethesda just stepped in and ramped up the whole process.

Lurker47

Savant
Bethesda just stepped in and ramped up the whole process.
Please tell me how somewhat goofy costumes is as absurd as half of the shit in 2.

And Fallout has always been goofy; the type of goofiness has changed throughout each game though. 2's goofiness is certainly more prevalent than 1's but 2's goofiness isn't nearly as stupid as 3's. New Vegas' kind of deadpan take on the Legion (with people commenting on how stupid it is) is a better angle than most of 2's absurd shit. People complaining about the tone in Fallout sometimes need to take a step back and realize that the first game had a B-movie villain dipping people in goo.

And in that respect, New Vegas' goofiness is far more similar to 1's take than 2's.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
What is the best order to do the DLC in?

I think they were released in order of: DM, HH, OWB LR.

But some research has people saying to go HH, DM, OWB, LR.

Im mostly interested in getting the narrative continuity.

roll-a-die

Magister
HH, DM, OWB, LR then

I'm thinking about going back and playing new vegas again as well. It seems like it might by fun.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I can see the argument for doing Honest Hearts after the main campaign: you could do HH before Dead Money -> Old World Blues -> Lonesome Road which are more tightly connected. Nothing particularly wrong with doing them in release order though.

Codex Year of the Donut

DM and HH are interchangeable as far as I can remember. HH was pretty unlinked with the rest(maybe some references? don't think so though)
The other three should be completed in order because they're all linked.

I hate DM because the entire zone is a lagfest.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Caesar's Legion is not so crazy and unrealistic if you think about it. History knows examples of similar groups. Legionaries are a militaristic band of history reenactors, not unlike Islamic State in Iraq/Syria or Islamic Tribunals in Somalia. Instead of religion they have a rigid ideology, like the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia.

Yes, the 'Roman cosplay' may be ridiculous (especially when they use prewar football gear for that), but the same can be said about guys trying to recreate Islamic caliphate from VIII century, while using rifles and traveling in pickup trucks.

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
this thread seems to attract the most retarded newfags the codex has to offer.
there is nothing goofy about uniforms. they are a necessity. they inspire fear, obedience and discipline. they are used today in every military as they were used thousands of years ago. the legion is based on a personal cult of the ruler who calls himself caesar. it would be goofy if they wore anything but roman inspired uniforms.
the way they recruit people to their side is very simple and efficient. you join and get to rape, pillage and crucify others or you don't and get to be raped and crucified yourself. given only these 2 choices smart people should try and get such a uniform just to be on the safe side once the legion comes knocking on their door. because once that happens nobody is gonna help you. there is no police or military to save you and the legion are not unorganized raiders you can just fight off. if you oppose them when they come, you are fucked.
there are also not many other factions running around and recruiting people. as i remember it, the ncr are busy with some bullshit around new vegas and don't care much about the rest of the world. nor do they seem to have the resources to recruit all the peasants because they neither pillage nor farm much.
if anything is goofy, it's the ncr. because i don't know what the fuck keeps people interested in staying with the ncr since they don't seem to offer neither fun nor much food. their uniforms are even goofier. because they embody the system that just recently failed critically at their job: keeping the country safe from outside attack. the world got nuked with people in these uniforms in charge. joining these idiots is the stupidest thing you can do. they deserve no sympathy. they deserve no respect. they don't have shit to offer that other factions can't also offer. they larp a military organization that doesn't have a place in the world any more. it didn't get appointed by a rightful ruler or even a self proclaimed one. they have no justification at all for their existence.
at least the legion has a person cult. at least the legion sees the world as it has become and changes the rules that failed to work well in the interest of the many when the world got nuked. at least the legion has a vision. even if that vision is dictatorship and slavery, by now that vision is again something new and worth trying again. democracy obviously failed.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well, Chinese dictatorship also failed, it was obliterated in the same nuclear war that devastated USA.

Besides, in the final years before the nuclear war, USA was not really a democracy either. It seemed to be a militaristic regime based on heavy handed propaganda and mobilization of the masses for slaughter.

To me NCR brings some degree of stability and idealism to the Wasteland. Ceasars Legion also brings stability (perhaps it is more effective in this regard), but it does so through unimaginable terror. NCR has cleaner methods, even if some officials of the government became corrupt.

sullynathan

Arcane
I wish it wasn't a chore to get back into. I like new Vegas and it had a good ending but trying to play it again just ended up with me uninstalling.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In

DM -> OWB -> LR. Skip HH because it's boring as fuck (and has no connection to the other DLCs).

roll-a-die

Magister

DM -> OWB -> LR. Skip HH because it's boring as fuck (and has no connection to the other DLCs).
Gameplay-wise I agree, however, the burned man is some really good lore, and I liked it just for the elaborations on how much Caesar has fallen from his ideals.

typical user

Arbiter
Well, Chinese dictatorship also failed, it was obliterated in the same nuclear war that devastated USA.

Besides, in the final years before the nuclear war, USA was not really a democracy either. It seemed to be a militaristic regime based on heavy handed propaganda and mobilization of the masses for slaughter.

To me NCR brings some degree of stability and idealism to the Wasteland. Ceasars Legion also brings stability (perhaps it is more effective in this regard), but it does so through unimaginable terror. NCR has cleaner methods, even if some officials of the government became corrupt.

USA was a Police State masquarading as democracy. They had Orwell 1984 propaganda and only differed from USSR and China coalition by letting private companies operate (which probably were still run by obedient to state CEOs or goverment had major shares).

That's what irks me about prolog in Fo4 - you don't see that propaganda, you don't see abusive military which has replaced police force, you don't hear about all the chinese attacks behind the lines with bio-weapons nor any quarantine zones. You don't hear any mentions about UN falling apart or USSR supporting or being forced to support China. You don't hear about last uranium and oil reserves deplete making Europe fall apart into huge war.

I wonder how you guys would receive a Fallout game taking place before the war - knowing the aftermath of the conflict and what military projects were deployed or close to finalization.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron

USA was a Police State masquarading as democracy. They had Orwell 1984 propaganda and only differed from USSR and China coalition by letting private companies operate (which probably were still run by obedient to state CEOs or goverment had major shares).

That's what irks me about prolog in Fo4 - you don't see that propaganda, you don't see abusive military which has replaced police force, you don't hear about all the chinese attacks behind the lines with bio-weapons nor any quarantine zones. You don't hear any mentions about UN falling apart or USSR supporting or being forced to support China. You don't hear about last uranium and oil reserves deplete making Europe fall apart into huge war.

I wonder how you guys would receive a Fallout game taking place before the war - knowing the aftermath of the conflict and what military projects were deployed or close to finalization.

Bethesda don't even trouble themselves to keep their own lore straight. Nothing after the end of Morrowind's expansions really makes any sense, and, from what I can tell, nothing in Daggerfall and earlier makes any sense either.

I'm not at all surprised that they accidentally retconned the Fallout universe

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Just use the console to level yourself to whatever the starting level for the particular DLC is and then go and trigger them

gruntar

Augur
Are the DLCs worth it to replay the entire game again?

DLCs are great and you could play through them without touching main game (except getting to them obviously), it could be fun play-trough. You should start with HH at level 1 and finish it around level 10, then you could do OBW, that should level you to 15+, then DM and last LR. Just remember to invest some points in melee/unarmed in case you run out of ammo.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

1. so in china a major faction should try the democracy approach.
2. that doesn't change the fact that a democracy led to that nor does it change the "save our democracy" , "save our freedom" , "join the military" kind of propaganda people should be sick of at this point.
3. I may have to replay the game cause i don't know any more what you are talking about here. the NCR is fighting over some dam as i remember it. where's the stability in that? and idealism? what's the ideal? to me it looks like some assholes that think after a major war it's cool to form a military organization and keep fighting over some crap.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
NCR wants to control the dam to provide electricity to the Wasteland. To elevate the living conditions of the population (Legion does not even accept modern medical procedures for their soldiers, they are anti-development and anti-science group). NCR has ideals of democracy, personal freedom, self-determination. Ofcourse, they are far from perfect, but Pax Californiana seems more acceptable to most people than what the Legion offers. That's why Caesar always makes an offer at gunpoint.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The NCR doesn’t care about the Mohave, and the electric service is valuable to them but not to help the people from the Mojave and to keep ot specifically out of Czar’s Legion

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
To clarify my position, I think the Legion is fine from a thematic, narrative, socio-political, pseudo philosophical whatever perspective, its JUST the costumes that grate on me. It reeks of the Bethesda "LOL everything is silly, nothing matters" style. But as I have already mentioned its hard to put all the blame on Bethesda when Fallout 2 already created the precedent of goofy cosplay eg. New Reno. Anyway I can tell this is a pointless discussion versus the rabid fan boys so I will not mention it again!

Back to gameplay, has anyone played NV with a 'no fast travel' mode? Or combined with some of the alternate fast travel mods? It seems like playing hardcore survival is utterly redundant when at any moment you can just fast travel to a doctor for healing, or a shop/storage to quickly build up stupid amounts of loot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom