Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good adventure/platformer hybrids?

Are there any good (preferably 2D) games that combine my two favorite genres?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Ico (2000) is an adventure game with platforming and a bit of action, the predecessor to Shadow of the Colossus (2005) and The Last Guardian (2016). Not the greatest puzzles or mechanics, but decent enough in these regards, and with an incredible atmosphere and story.

ReachingHands-1024x640.jpg

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
When I played Smurf: Adventure in Gargamel's Castle in 1982 on my Colecovision I felt like I was on an adventure.

I was 7, and that was literally the last time I gave a single flying fuck about a 2d side-scrolling game.

Because they're fucking stupid, unimaginative, boring, repetitive and generally retarded.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Ico is not even remotely a 2dplatformer, and the motherfucker above me that suggested it is clearly retarded and should be banned.

Ico is a 3d fucking masterpiece.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Another World (1991) - also it has a sequel called Heart of the Alien.

Flashback (1992)

Blackthorne (1994)

Heart Of Darkness (1998)

Limbo (2010)

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Deadlight (2012)

Valiant Heart (2014)

Child of Light (2014)

Inside (2016)

Yeah Metroidvanias are probably the closest thing. Still not a true hybrid.

Child of Light though? Wtf you guys smoking? It’s a straight jrpg from what I played, nothing Adventure about it.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
All the good old classics were already mentioned except Oddworld Abe's Exoddus/Oddysee - play it if you haven't already.
More recent games that you might like:
The Way - inspired by Another World and Flashback though it doesn't have the "realistic" character movement these games had.

The Fall - this is almost a straight up adventure game only with the perspective of a 2d platformer.

Black: The Fall - haven't played it, it has decent reviews on steam and looks nice so maybe it's worth a try.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
OnEscapee (Amiga/PC) (1997)

The closest thing to Flashback you'll find. The controls are clunkier, but the atmosphere is great and it has a lot more puzzles.

Faxanadu (NES) (1987)

Platform/Adventure with rpg elements. One of my favorite NES games.

The Lost Vikings (DOS/Amiga) (1992)

It's a puzzle/platform game, but so damn good...

DEX (2015)

Basically a 2d Deus Ex. Stealth/action/adventure/rpg and platforming combined. It surprised me with how good it was.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
All the good old classics were already mentioned except Oddworld Abe's Exoddus/Oddysee - play it if you haven't already.
More recent games that you might like:
The Way - inspired by Another World and Flashback though it doesn't have the "realistic" character movement these games had.

The game is currently discounted on Steam until 20th of August.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/311010/The_Way/

Edit: I did not play the game therefore I don't know if it's good or bad.

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
OnEscape is not good, Dex is a rpg hybrid but might fit your tastes (because the character dialog is 'complex enough' even if there are no 'real' puzzles just opportunities for hidden quest rewards in the form of scheduling quests).

To the OP, try some of the more puzzle oriented platformers or even the older form of 'not platformer' puzzle game. Humans 1-2-3, Heimdiall 1-2, Cadaver, Light Crusader, Lost Vikings 1-2, Little Big Adventure 1-2, etc all belong to this 'puzzle adventure but with some (unimpressive) platforming/room navigation elements' lineage.

Or the more recent iterations that are more competent in platforming but require different kind of 'puzzles', from the lineage of Another World, Flashback, Prince of Persia, Bermuda Syndrome etc. A recent example is 'Inside', less recent examples are Abe Odyssey and sequels, Beyond Good and Evil etc. Personally i think these games stretch the definition of 'adventure' to the point it's useless no matter their quality, but they tend to have much much much better platforming (due to being actually action oriented at heart).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom