Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Detention is the best horror adventure of the decade?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Y/N?

low effort shitpost in order to call attention to this game and encourage people to play it for the 4 hours it lasts without spoiling.

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can't resist some discussion - don't read this if you're planning to play obviously. I especially liked that the few jump scares that exist (except the ghosts), all had a story related (hidden) point. The second especially is pretty interesting and blatant in (major spoilers below)

how close she is to the Lingered - who may actually be memories of hers - with the 'flexible' instantaneous movement, and how close Ray herself is to losing herself forever even when the denial is strongest.

I also appreciate that the game highlights (very major spoilers)
how fucked up taoist/buddhist syncretic 'hell' is in how absurd that it's aggravated by self-image and it's 'supposed' to cause you to go angry ghost and finally (after aeons) non-self. Ray should feel guilt, but she is objectively less guilty than what she thinks - and the divine agrees, she's doing (most of) it to herself - i believe that a few of the jump scares are her suspecting this is no longer the case from the presence of Wei during this cycle leaving notes and hanging around the school occasionally, and those jump scares didn't actually exist on the same form in previous iterations, ie: Wei 'corpse' opening his eyes in the first jump scare, which serves double duty to explain that Wei 'knew' about her sin and didn't talk about it and that Wei is 'alive' even after death.

Ray is a great woobie maybe even because her maliciousness was childish and 'following her parents example' - it's very thematic to the setting political theme.

Last edited:

Tiospo

Learned
very little jumpscares, the scare factor comes from the atmosphere itself. if you have the lights off and youre playing it alone with nothing else playing in the back to distract you from the game, its pretty scary.

WallaceChambers

Learned
Detention is some of the best psychological horror I've played in a decade. I haven't ever played The Cat Lady, though. So I should try that out.

Ivan

Arcane
copy/pasted from General Gaming thread

store page: https://shop.redcandlegames.com/games/devotion

Devotion:5/5:

Wanted to jump in real quick and share some brief thoughts on Red Candle's Devotion (I picked up the Detention + Devotion bundle from their direct site)

Red Candle has done Team Silent proud. Devotion is an excellent follow-up to Detention. The first thing one would notice is the dramatic improvement in production values. In Devotion you explore an apartment complex and unravel the story of a family wrestling with financial troubles and a health scare. The story explores the dangers of the folly of faith, marital jealousy, and childhood trauma. The environments are beautifully detailed, the sound design is top notch, and the story has very little to no fat. I was often reminded of Silent Hill 4's iconic apartment during my playthrough. The experience didn't feel brief to me, even though I'm sure it can be completed in just a few 2-3 hours. The game is packed with memorable sequences that do wonders for character development. The game does commit some horror tropes, but nothing felt too cheesy or overdone. In fact, I applaud how some were even subverted before they ended (e.g. the chase). To conclude, an excellent horror adventure worth supporting. Here are some favorite tracks and the launch trailer:

:negative:

Last edited:

wishbonetail

Learned
Two thirds of Detention is genuinely good but the last third or so is just a huge infodump. I prefer this type of psycological horrors to have a puzzle-like plot which resolves itself after multiple walkthroughs or some meticulous gameplay. Instead everything is being presented to a player on a silver platter leaving liitle room for interpretations. It could've been Downfall/Cat Lady-tier game but it just Lorelai-tier instead.
Also
I guess the timeline is post-WW2, when Taiwan was under militaristic Chinese Nationalist Party, which lost to commies on the mainland and retreated to islands. One of Taiwan's martial law purposes was the suppression of communism. So this little undeground reading club was rounded up, okay. What boogles me is that they were supposedly studiyng some "free-thinking" literature that was currently banned in Taiwan. Now, what kind o literature for "free-thinkers" could that be? Did they read Marx' "Capital" or Lenins "Imperialism, Highest state of Capitalism" in there? Of course under martial law they could've banned all of the filthy laowai's and anti-goverment literature but I cherish the thought that this may be the biggest plot twist in this story, just for lolz.

SumDrunkGuy

LOL fugg no.

apps.55268.65760911830429861.7b27281f-47aa-4d50-936b-ec0d2edf2e0a.9703c69a-c126-4f9e-b1f3-a6d129904732

SOMA is the GOAT, always will be.

This Detention game looks right up my alley though. I will give it a try at some point. I just have a lot on my plate atm.

Detention is nice, but best Horror Adventure of the decade is Layers Of Fear or The Cat Lady.

ROFL, Layers of Fear is basically just a theme park ride. The visual trickery it uses is fun but that's all it has. There's no actual threat in the game and you literally can't die. Once you realise it's all smoke and mirrors the tension completely evaporates.

I'm still interested in playing the sequel though. That thing has been sitting in my library for ages. Also that cyberpunk game from the same developer. I own way too many games that I have barely looked at.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
LOL fugg no.

apps.55268.65760911830429861.7b27281f-47aa-4d50-936b-ec0d2edf2e0a.9703c69a-c126-4f9e-b1f3-a6d129904732

SOMA is the GOAT, always will be.

This Detention game looks right up my alley though. I will give it a try at some point. I just have a lot on my plate atm.

Detention is nice, but best Horror Adventure of the decade is Layers Of Fear or The Cat Lady.

ROFL, Layers of Fear is basically just a theme park ride. The visual trickery it uses is fun but that's all it has. There's no actual threat in the game and you literally can't die. Once you realise it's all smoke and mirrors the tension completely evaporates.

I'm still interested in playing the sequel though. That thing has been sitting in my library for ages. Also that cyberpunk game from the same developer.

whoa you are still alive!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom