Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nahlakh and Natuk

SkeleTony

Augur
How do you cast healing spells on one of your fallen comrades if there is a fallen enemy in the same square?
I'm not sure I ever managed to do something satisfying in that case.

The only thing I've considered but not tried, was to Force Attack the fallen enemy so that he/it no longer shows up in the square.

I just finished the Orc Outpost part, and so far I think the game is a decline compared to Nahlakh. My main disappointment is the reduction of tactical options. The dungeon passages are never less than 4 squares abreast, and there's no rocks or similar features (like neutralized enemies!) to give you a tactical (dis)advantage.

On the bright side I really like the Assassin character. Very fun to play, especially after he got a Shadow Light Plate, making him automatically Hidden at the start of his turn.

You can heal party members (fallen or not) by using the number (1-8) corresponding to their number in your roster. There is a 'Create stone' spell but stones only stop the enemy (or yourself) for the turn they land on such. Fumble is the best hurdle to cast to slow down or stop enemies. You can also charm or bribe enemies (which costs gold and uses the bribery skill) as well.

SkeleTony

Augur
So, is there any way of turning those silver nuggest into silver weapons?
Do I have to find a blacksmith in a town?

Also, any idea why my Half-Troll's Willpower goes down to zero as soon as he takes some damage?

Willpower drops every time anyone takes damage and 1/2 trolls do not tend to start with high willpower. There is a prayer to 'restore ability' which will 'heal' this damage to willpower.

The silver nuggets can be traded to shuvoth (or whatever the old guy's name is) in the outpost but you will want to keep at least one to give to the outpost leader to complete the rat-cleaning quest and get your rewards.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Remember to buy up any of those spice and incense and use them to boost magic and prayer skills before attempting to cast 'charm' and/or 'fumble' (just so you can learn those spells permanently and have them added to the spellbooks). Both spells are almost a necessity to beat tougher opponents. Fumble, after repeated castings on a single enemy will effectively paralyze them for the combat.

After you are able to catch charm at least once or twice per battle (using incenses to boost prayer if necessary) you can more easily tackle hobgobs, gnomes, giants, ogres etc.

I am just now noticing you have already discovered much of this and are at the end game so I will shut up for now...

Damned, I had totally forgotten (from Nahlakh) that Spice and Incense improve chances of spell casting. I don't think it's mentioned anywhere in the documentation for Natuk, or in-game.

The silver nuggets can be traded to shuvoth (or whatever the old guy's name is) in the outpost but you will want to keep at least one to give to the outpost leader to complete the rat-cleaning quest and get your rewards.

I ended up keeping them all to paying the witch doctor for possible resurrections, at least before I got any items that cast Raise Dead.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I played Nahlakh and Natuk many years ago. In fact, I have the Natuk CD around here somewhere which I ordered from Tom directly... I finished Natuk (great ending), but for some reason, I could never find all 13 keys in Nahlakh. In the end, I cheated by deleting a map file, which caused enemies in that area to re-appear. This allowed me to get a duplicate key and finally reach the demon world.

I sometimes get the urge to replay Nahlakh, but it wears off when I remember the grind and hair-tearing difficulty spikes.

The ability to create rock and trees to protect my party and create killing zones remains a unique feature of these games.

Somebody's doing a video lets play of Nahlakh. No idea if it's any good, but it's nice to have more footage of the game. I found just one short video last time I looked for some.

Breshard

Novice
Heyas. Just started playing Nahlakh this week. Fun game so far, anyone recall if there's a way to break characters out of webs? Spiders a bit of the pain in the butt in the early going.

Breshard

Novice
Somebody's doing a video lets play of Nahlakh. No idea if it's any good, but it's nice to have more footage of the game. I found just one short video last time I looked for some.

Seems pretty good and thorough, didn't edit out all the trips to town and selling etc. though. Looks like he made it all the way through too, a lot of let's plays i see on youtube for old games are abandoned halfway through.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Heyas. Just started playing Nahlakh this week. Fun game so far, anyone recall if there's a way to break characters out of webs? Spiders a bit of the pain in the butt in the early going.

IIRC fire will burn away webs.
The Free Action spell may also work; I don't remember.

Breshard

Novice

IIRC fire will burn away webs.
The Free Action spell may also work; I don't remember.
Free action doesn't work. Accidentally discovered the fire thing by fire spreading onto the square of my webbed guy and freeing him, so i suppose tossing a fire spell at your own guy should work if you really need to get someone free fast.

Does game last long enough to get multiple weapon skills up to max or should I just pick one to stick with all the way through regardless of what drops i get? Just finished the lich's dungeon and got the 2nd key so I assume there's still tons of game left but I have been swapping weapons being used depending on what drops i get so far. Magic candle series had a similar skill raise through usage system with no levels and a weapon skill would tend to max halfway through the game.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
You will have enough time to get to "unearthly" with a single weapon, about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through for me. I usually start training my guys on a back up, depending on whether I found enough silver/iron weapons of the needed type.

I also tried training my fighters in magic a few times, but with very poor results...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think all my fighter types had two weapon skills.
You definitely want one who can wield a 2H sword convincingly, and since the loot is mostly random it's a good idea not to specialize too much.
I found myself mostly "role playing" the weapon skills, with 2H skills for big fighters, axe for the dwarf, sword and shield for the elf.

Jabber

Educated
Is it remotely possible or a good idea to try to do a no-reload / ironman run through nahlakh? I've done it through Natuk... albeit getting the party wipe ending in the crown FFA which is actually a little hilarious.

But Nahlakh seems much longer and harder...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think it's very remotely possible, but there are some extremely hard battles along the way.
And the Demon World is very frustrating if you don't use a map.

Also, Nahlakh is one of the rare games where it's virtually impossible to abuse any of the game mechanics, and there's no room for grinding since there's no random encounters.

Jabber

Educated
Hmm... Thanks. I guess maybe someday I'll give it a try.

Natuk can be substantially abused by loading your characters up with scrolls, potions and charged items. Perhaps Nahlakh is the same...

Breshard

Novice
Is it remotely possible or a good idea to try to do a no-reload / ironman run through nahlakh? I've done it through Natuk... albeit getting the party wipe ending in the crown FFA which is actually a little hilarious.

But Nahlakh seems much longer and harder...
I'm a noob to Proudfoot games but have played and beaten games like Wizard's Crown/Eternal Dagger and the Goldbox games and although I'm not very far into the game there's already been a couple fights I had to reload a couple times to beat. I started with only 25 health though on my chars so i could put as much points in int/dex to get better starting skills, so that likely increased difficulties on some fights vs. if I'd started with 40-50 which would prevent getting knocked unconscious so much.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Hmm... Thanks. I guess maybe someday I'll give it a try.

Natuk can be substantially abused by loading your characters up with scrolls, potions and charged items. Perhaps Nahlakh is the same...

Well, I'm no expert on abusing game mechanics, so you may be right.

Breshard

Novice
What on earth is the 2nd number on damage in your character's inventory screen, i.e. some weapons will say like 7/11 while another might be 11/11? Don't recall seeing anything about that in the documentation.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What on earth is the 2nd number on damage in your character's inventory screen, i.e. some weapons will say like 7/11 while another might be 11/11? Don't recall seeing anything about that in the documentation.

Wish I could remember.
Have you tried the hint file? It should be linked to earlier in the thread.

I saw the thread title, and automatically said "Gesundheit".

Temple of Apshai!

Breshard

Novice
OK, think I figured it out, seems to be the damage multiplier for weapon type. Cutting weapons seem to have 1.5x damage bonus and impaling 2x which is what the 2nd number represents, and bashing doesn't have any sort of bonus so the 2nd number is just the same.

Breshard

Novice
Still plugging away at this. Got a bit bogged down towards end of end of 1st continent, several caves with sort of boring layouts and really similar battle 10+ times which were time-consuming but not particularly challenging. Probably about 25% into 2nd continent and enoying it for the most part, wish I'd get upgrades more often though, seems pretty rare already and my stuff isn't particularly great.

The magic system is one of more interesting I've seen in rpg's with finding spellbooks and/or experimenting in order to be able to cast new spells. I also use a larger variety of spells than I have in most other rpg's I've played in past, a lot of games I've played might have a wide arsenal of spells but generally just using a few spells<best heal and nuke>, is the optimal strategy.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Pay close attention to enemy spell casters. You can learn new spells that way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom