Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Gregz

Arcane
Struggling to think of what's actually new apart from the huge graphical update and fancier menus.
The rag doll deaths maybe. I don't even think those are new; just tweaked.
I definitely saw a shield bash in there.
Talks about a Morrowind-like, learn by doing system but skills always improved with usage so errr...
And the ability tree doesn't appear to be anything more than fairly boring percentage bonuses (+6% horse hitpoints, +3 arrows in a quiver, *yawn*)

Combat doesn't look improved really - the AI literally stand still and do nothing at one point in the video.
I was hoping the AI might be smart enough to form pike walls/squares against cavalry and other tricks like that; they still act like lemmings.

If the campaign only amounts to farming bandits and doing fetch quests to build up reputation (again) then that's a huge waste.
Even the special NPC's in town offered a copy paste selection of troops.
Given the amount of time this has taken I genuinely thought they'd managed something ambitious like mixing Gothic with Warband.

I've done the whole sandbox/warlord campaign thing twice now, killing endless waves of bowling skittle AI.
It isn't going to get much better a third time around.

I'm as upset about the delays as anyone, but I think there's a lot of ignorance ITT. Bannerlord is far more than a new paint job.

There was a massive overhaul to siege mechanics, including destructible structures, siege engines, etc. AFAIK they have been showing this stuff in demos since last year?

The overarching gameplay may not change much, but they're adding a lot under the hood.

Last edited:

Salvo

Arcane
No matter how much time they take, this game is NEVER going to be bug-free. Just release it and fix it along the way.
This is the attitude that gives us Andromedas and No Man's Sky-types. You and your likes will be the first ones to whine about what the game is not and what it lacks.

Please don't put words in my mouth. Bugs rarely bother me and new features can be added with future patches. Warband is a good game, but owes its single-player longevity to mods, most of which take a long time to make and be polished.

So, yes, at this point the earlier the game is released the better. If we disagree on this, well, that's fair.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,378679.msg9017706.html#msg9017706

LbMOhYH.jpg

Armagan, the head guy at Taleworlds, on the demo made available at Gamescom yesterday. Sounds to me that they are already beyond No Man's Sky release version in terms of completion.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
So looks like Bannerlords won't be released this year, again. Let's hope it will be out before 2021.

https://www.donanimhaber.com/oyunlar/haberleri/Milli-gurur-Mount-Blade-ii-Bannerlord-cikis-tarihi.html
01:11

>you can ask the release date is well if you want
>*laughter* alright then, when's the game releasing?
>...we really want to release the game asap. I can't give a specific date but, there's a little more to be done and hopefully it'll be done very soon and we'll ship it as soon as it's done
>maybe in a year then?
>hopefully/probably (by the tone) in less than a year.

This combined with the Armagan post from 17th confirms my suspicion of some "early access" release on Steam late 2018/early 2019 and frequent updates to build that up.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Its government funded project done with local university cooperation.
And we all know how efficient are bureaucrats with tax payers money and how motivated are people on government salary.

Hrymr

Educated
I hope that those perks are still being worked on, because "hitpoints increased by 2%" doesn't sound very exciting when your character has 95 hp.

vota DC

Augur
Erdo Armagan said that release date will be few weeks before the game will be sold.

About troop trees we have

Battania
tier 3 cavalry (also early cavalry since you get from tier 2)
tier 5 archer
tier 5 heavy infantry
tier 5 light infantry

Khuzait
tier 5 cavalry (also early cavalry)
tier 5 horse archer
tier 5 archer
tier 5 heavy infantry
tier 5 light infantry

Seems that Khuzait basic troops has more option and less downside than Battania. I guess elite troops will make the difference, I am quite sure that Battania has the elite foot archer (Fianna) and two elite shock trooper.
Also no factions seems to have shock trooper from the basic tree.

Didn't see the entire Empire tree but I am sure that empire basic tree has horse archer starting from tier 3. No idea of higher tiers.
Both Sturgia and Empire don't have early cavalry but they need to wait tier 3.
All names for the base troop trees seems generic, the exception is the tier 5 khuzait heavy infantry that is named Tarqan.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/261550/announcements/detail/1688174556441902122
Greetings warriors of Calradia!

As most of you will already know, we have been at Gamescom this week showcasing the singleplayer sandbox campaign of Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord. We have been reading comments and feedback and we noticed that quite a few people are interested in seeing some of the different screens and deeper parts of the game that are visible in the videos that are coming out from our guests at the booth. So with that in mind, for this week’s blog we thought we could show the character screen and explain the different elements of that and how character development works in Bannerlord.

70ffaf97b61fd4e9c91067706aec53a8bbe4e2c1.png

On the left side of the screen you can see the character skills. To improve these skills you need to perform the associated task or action. If we take One Handed as an example, successfully landing attacks with one handed weapons will increase the One Handed skill. Once you increase these skills enough, you gain access to different perks which you can select to give your character an extra edge in the game.

Perks, as the name suggests, give your character certain bonuses. These bonuses could be anything from an increase in party size to extra ammunition in battles, or they even unlock certain actions, such as the ability to reload any crossbow while on horseback. Players are unable to unlock all of the perks, and in many cases, a choice will have to be made about which perks that you would like to choose. In the end, perks act as a great way for players to customise their character to match their playstyle.

Just above the perk tree is the character leveling bar. As you increase your skills, your character will fill up the bar. Once the bar is completely filled, your character will level up and you will be rewarded with two extra focus points. These focus points can then be invested in different skills.

Skill focus allows your character to gain experience at a faster rate for that particular skill. However, once you invest a skill point into a focus then it is permanently locked in. To gain skill points in any of the skills, you need to have made an initial investment of focus points, meaning that skills that are shown as level 0 and have no focus points invested in them cannot progress, no matter how much you practice them.

672f0f83f9e7666d9ea82d076d90fd9f94b18da6.png

All of this applies to companions in your party too, which players have total control over. Your companions can perform specific roles within your part such as Quartermaster, Scout or Surgeon. Once you assign a companion to a role, you will start gaining bonuses from skills and perks that are attached to that role.

0b339b6e36d0729ab45dcd9fa840e6a45e1c338f.png

We hope that this was an informative overview of the character screen for you, and we will see you next week with another blog.

Decline of skills :(

vota DC

Augur
It is like jagged alliance 2: you need a minimal invest (was 35 with imp) to raise skill from zero, ja 1 instead you could train skills from zero.

Mount and blade 1 you had strenght+power strike for the damage and agility+proficiency for attack speed. Now you can't have a slow ogre that hits hard or a weak master swordsman that hit often but softly.

Zanzoken

Arcane
The new physics and sound effects give the combat a grittier feel. Got excited watching the video where he is fighting in the arena and lines up that javelin throw for 2 or 3 seconds before impaling the opponent.

How do you guys feel about the updated UI design? I don't really care for it but I'm not sure if that's because it's objectively bad or just unfamiliar.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
SXQ5ycn.jpg

When you are in such an early stage of development, that a static picture clips and isn't fully shown.
When you can just set margin-left: 50px and call it a major patch.
When your "Kievan Rus" slavic faction is a Skim LARP.
When I can't wait to play regardless.
When is the release date.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Early stage? Perhaps for this UI screen.
TLD has been in development for over 10 years and we're just now adding new GUI.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Funfact: Bannerlord is transliteration of Turkish title Sancakbeyi, given to landed cavalrymen that governed a fief(a banner) of Seljuks and successor states. Rough equivalent of European knights except peasantry in their fiefs weren't considered property like the serfs were.

The game is also on government trust much like fiefs were and likely going to be a dead end similarly. Long story short it is not coming out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom