Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Waylanders - historical fantasy time travel RPG inspired by Dragon Age: Origins

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432712414/the-waylanders-the-rpg-videogame

http://thewaylanders.com

https://af.gog.com/game/the_waylanders?as=1649904300

https://www.pcgamer.com/first-look-...-inspired-by-the-likes-of-dragon-age-origins/

PC Gamer said:
First look at The Waylanders, a time travel RPG inspired by Dragon Age: Origins
Mike Laidlaw, formerly of BioWare, is working on the game.

The Waylanders is a fantasy RPG from Spanish developer Gato Salvaje, and former Dragon Age creative director Mike Laidlaw is among the staff working on it. Above, you can get a first look at the game in pre-alpha form, narrated by Laidlaw.

The Waylanders has real-time combat with a tactical pause option, and it's inspired by a bunch of RPG favourites, like Neverwinter Nights 2 and Dragon Age: Origins, which you'll probably note from the video. You can play it from a top-down view, or move the camera to third-person, and 12 changeable party formations let you experiment with combat tactics in the game. You'll be able to romance characters, too. In an interesting twist, however, you'll be able to time travel between two different periods.

You'll alternate between Celtic Brigantia, and the Middle Ages where Christianity has "supplanted" a lot of Celtic history. "The Waylanders takes inspiration from the Celtic Mythological Cycle, a rich tapestry that deals with Ireland but also the Celtic region of Brigantia on the north coast of modern-day Spain," the studio explains. Your player character is removed from the cycle of life and death, which allows you to swap between the two periods using magic.

ZcWuiN4c8dWdd5Q5v45rCR.jpg

The game's title comes from the Way of St James, or Camino de Santiago, a pilgrim's path that runs across Northern Spain. "These are the people protecting the Way, and protecting the legends, and protecting the spirit of the Way in the game."

"The Celtics believe in reincarnation, so what we are doing, we choose the companions in the Celtic period," says Gato Salvaje's Fernando Prieto. "Then when our main character travels to the Middle Ages, we will have to look for our companions and wake them up. They will be reincarnated in other people, and we'll have to wake them up, but as they are in the middle ages. Only the main character will be able to time travel—our companions won't. [The companions] can be completely different people, though from the moment you wake them up, they'll remember what they did in the Celtic period. But they could be an important warrior in the Celtic period, then a housekeeper in the Middle Ages. That can be very funny, and very useful for the narrative."

You'll complete quests that straddle the two eras, and your party make-up will be different in each period. "You need to solve problems in the Celtic period to advance in missions in the Middle Ages as well. You'll need to be jumping from one period to another. Your companions will be the same, but with different characteristics in both periods." There are mirroring qualities to the two timeframes, like monsters on the loose and usurper kings, and uncovering their connection will be a big part of the story.

Form up

qidLF8Mo53B7wUT6DWw8DR.jpg

There are six basic classes in The Waylanders, then 30 advanced ones on top of that. Each basic class comes with two possible formations you can use for your party. In the video above, you see the party using a phalanx formation—this system is designed to give you tactical flexibility depending on the enemy in question, and so players can easily experiment with it.

"It's not just a way to form the party to move around the scenario, but we want to give deeper tactical options to the game," Prieto says. "So you can use different types of formations in every [instance] of combat, so you have multiple options to finish your mission, faster or not-so-fast. Those tactical options are always available to the players. So you can use formations for different purposes. You can use a phalanx, for example, or an orb, or an arrow formation. We'll have up to twelve different ones in the game. We will offer very deep tactical gameplay. It will be very easy to change from formations to the normal party, so you can try different options."

U5EAWfAN4ZgQXqF3r7W7JR.jpg

This is a very different project for the A Coruña-based studio, which has scaled up from just eight people to 40 in making The Waylanders, including new staff who previously worked at Spanish animation companies. "This project began two years ago," Prieto explains. "We are a small company from Spain, and after a lot of analysis, we realised we had to grow and make bigger projects to really survive in the gaming industry. And we began to build this project...we began the pre-production at the end of 2017, and that's the moment when we [approached] Mike to get involved in the project as well."

The Waylanders is targeting an early 2020 release.

2fUfRDfrsy8PNTW3pLfpHR.jpg

HA24U3MKRkZyYT8WwKyFJR.jpg

vQHfJG4EL26myhwqHaqpCR.jpg

QQrVafPWQ9LNnaNsmW7dCR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not mentioned in the article - this is apparently also a board game. Which is going to be on Kickstarter soon (I think?)

http://eclipseeditorial.com/games/en/the-waylanders-eclipses-new-game-on-kickstarter/

The Waylanders: Eclipse’s new game on Kickstarter
SIN CATEGORÍA 07/30/2018 Sergio Rodríguez Yanes 0

“In this veiled age, hidden between the mists of time, untamed adventurers are born, and brilliant strategists join together, eager to create shiny realms of legend along the chimerical path that lay before them.
But despite this being a time of witchcraft, the arcane lands are scarce and the adventurers will not hesitate to annihilate those who also aim to control them, because only a few can be… The Waylanders”

Greetings Warriors

We are proud to announce the new board game from Eclipse Editorial, along with video games producers Gato Studio, and to present the Waylanders Universe. Gato Studio, after 8 years producing high quality video games, starts an ambitious project: The Waylanders, which will consist initially of a board game and later on a video game.

From this collaboration, The Waylanders board game is born, which we hope to launch through a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter during the month of September.

The Waylanders is a tactical competitive game for 2-4 players. Each player chooses their team of adventurers, plan their tactics and battle against their rivals to win. Many factors have to be taken into account for victory Think each movement thoroughly, take advantage of the skills of your adventurers and create formations to gain advantage and defeat your opponents.

Stay tuned, because there will be more in the upcoming weeks!

The miniatures in the game are made with great detail to a scale of around 32mm,
something you will surely notice when painting them.

Caption of a 2-player with a game prototype, and the humans having a hard time.
Will you be able to defeat the Fomori?

Greetings to all of you..

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The only thing that could make a game inspired by mediocrity and written by mediocrity worse is throwing in time travel, so... good job, Mike!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh hey:

Seems to be the footage Laidlaw speaks over in his video.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
goddamn Shackleton you have extremely fine taste sir, both in blobbers and in High Brow Elite Literature

i was just now gonna make the same post as you with one of Gemmell's waylander novels ^_^

goddamn i miss reading a Gemmell book. RIP. dude fucking defined my early teens when I first read Legend: Or Druss The Legend when I was in 6th grade, single-handedly ignited my love for geeky fantasy right then and there.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
goddamn Shackleton you have extremely fine taste sir, both in blobbers and in High Brow Elite Literature

i was just now gonna make the same post as you with one of Gemmell's waylander novels ^_^

goddamn i miss reading a Gemmell book. RIP. dude fucking defined my early teens when I first read Legend: Or Druss The Legend when I was in 6th grade, single-handedly ignited my love for geeky fantasy right then and there.

Yeah, I went through a phase where almost every game I played I named a character Tenaka, Ananais or Decado. They still come out from time to time, the Decado character type fits pretty much every crpg going.

RIP David Gemmell.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
That trailer has got me intrigued tbh.
Celtic lore is always a plus. Two parties in two periods of time could mean (it won't though because if they namedrop Dragon Age Origins they are dumbfucks) that there are riddles or puzzles with interactions between both. And while it's RTwP that formation feature looks nice in concept and could make for tactically deeper combat.

Following this with mild curiosity now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Video interview: https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/690533/Introducing+The+Waylanders+a+double+dose+of+RPG+goodness/

Introducing The Waylanders, a double dose of RPG goodness
We met Gato Salvaje at Gamescom to find out about the video game as well as the tabletop game.

The Waylanders was announced at Gamescom last week and we got to talk to Gato Salvaje's Fernando Prieto in Cologne to learn all about this quite unique transmedia project.

"At this moment we're developing a tabletop project and an RPG videogame", explains the executive producer. "But the main project is the video game. It is a classic party RPG. You can play it from a third-person camera or with a top-down isometric one."

Other than the two different views in-game, a fresh twist to the game's narrative is that you'll have to travel back and forth through time to "protect history" as it actually happens. Thus, you go from the Celtic period in the 5th to 6th century to the medieval times in the 12th century. And, as Prieto describes, you may have to live different lives and work different jobs when characters wake up in different ages.

The story begins in Galicia, Spain, and currently is "around 250,000 words deep", with writers as renowned as Josué Monchan and Mike Laidlaw having joined the team.

The parallel board game shares designs and actually adds to the same lore, but "from a different point of view". In the same vein, Gato Salvaje is already planning comic and TV show renditions in the future.

The Waylanders video game is currently in pre-alpha state and will see release on PC in Q1 2020 after a period of Early Access. Before that, The Waylanders board game will be launched. In the full interview we talk about what video gamers and tabletop gamers have in common, and more:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page:

MATURE CONTENT DESCRIPTION
This game contains references to fantasy drugs (potions), alcohol, sex and sexual acts (no direct visualisation or nudity), along with visual gore effects. Storyline contains adult content.

sex and sexual acts (no direct visualisation or nudity)

Bioware fans disapprove.

The video game Kickstarter is coming October 16th: http://thewaylanders.com/refer/

Refer a friend and earn rewards on Kickstarter. Launch on October 16!

daveyd

Savant
Since it's RTwP I'm automatically not interested but even if I was, I'd be very wary considering the developer. Gato Salvajes previously Kickstarted a point & click adventure game "AR-K" over 5 years ago… And just announced that the final 4th episode of AR-K will supposedly be released in February 2019 (as well as sending physical copies) after absolutely no communication for 3 years.

So assuming they actually release part 4 in February they will several years beyond the estimated release date (which wouldn't necessarily be a big problem if the game was any good), but Steam reviewers certainly didn't praise the game… The studio has done nothing to indicate they're capable of creating a decent game of any genre, let alone a CRPG spiritual successor of DA:O, BG2, etc. Also, they never released a DRM-free copy of AR-K which was promised to backers.

Their only other released game is Bullshot which seems to be a Contra-like shooter.

Even if this was my dream game I wouldn't trust this developer with my money considering how they handled their last Kickstarter. It boggles my mind that a developer can run a Kickstarter so terribly and then think they'll do another crowdfunding project, when they're still years behind on the first one… Sadly they might succeed because they hired an ex-Bioware guy. I've no idea how they even managed to hire a new creative director... I guess either the shooter must be selling well or Laidlaw was really desperate for work.

daveyd

Savant
I'm interested cuz time travel is unique premise

It is but given the developer's track record you're going to need a time machine to play it.... It took them over 6 years and counting to complete a simple point & click adventure game, so I expect a CRPG to take them a couple of decades.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
ee75154c5a37254b78e0e8eeac35c541_original.jpg

Who's the hidden guy? NWN2, KOTOR2, New Vegas. None of the other writers in the image worked on those. Chris Avellone are you on this too??

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Am I missing something or is this game just pure combat?

It's supposed to be inspired by Dragon Age: Origins so I wouldn't think so. It does seem that they don't have much beyond a combat engine at this point though (although I did notice what appears to be a snippet of a cutscene with dialogue in the combat formations video)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom