Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Is Fallout the best game of all time?

Is Fallout the best game of all time?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's been 20+ years since the Interplay released the power-armor -earing, super-mutant-slaying Fallout.
Highly regarded by this prestigious magazine, what other games can equal or surpass it?
Has the past 20 years shown any rivals? Maybe a gem that predates Fallout? Or is it overrated?

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Planescape: Torment and Underrail are both better games than Fallout.

PS:T has better writing, characters, and a setting that's at the very least on par with Fallouts; if not also better. I also think that the combat in PS:T is on par with Fallouts, though I doubt many people if anyone will agree with me there. Either way, all the other things I mentioned are enough to make it a better game than Fallout.

Underrail has superior gameplay to that of Fallout (in almost every way, I'd love for someone to give me a major gameplay element that FO does better than UR), as well as a setting that is more interesting than that of FO's. It's also extremely replayable and has all the benefits that come with being a "modern" game.

- Edited for less autism.

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Planescape: Torment and Underrail are both objectively better games than Fallout.

PS:T has better writing, characters, and a setting that's at the very least on par with Fallouts; if not also better. I also think that the combat in PS:T is on par with Fallouts, though I doubt many people if anyone will agree with me there. Either way, all the other things I mentioned are enough to make it a better game than Fallout.

How to Win in Life, by Some New Guy

Step 1
Say something is objectively better.

Step 2
Say a bunch of subjective stuff as proof of objectivity.

Step 3
Win tons of credibility and fame

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron

Step 1

Step 2
Say a bunch of subjective stuff.

Step 3
Objectively was a shit word, especially since everything in regards to a game is technically subjective. Regardless, do you disagree with any of the points I made.

Roqua

Prospernaut

Step 1

Step 2
Say a bunch of subjective stuff.

Step 3
Objectively was a shit word, especially since everything in regards to a game is technically subjective. Regardless, do you disagree with any of the points I made.

Yes. All of it. I watch movies, shows, and read books to be told a good story. I play rpgs to create a new story. But either way, I far prefer how FO 1 and 2 presented the story and how my character can approach it than I did PSTs. I also did not like any character in PST besides Mort.

I think in rpg systems and mechanics, combat, and every gameplay category FO wins easily. I think the IE games had the worst, no thought combat where you watch your characters battle while you passively watch was beyond awful.

As for Underrail, I loved it. I think it had much better combat and a slightly better chardev system, but that is all. You could save/reload in combat in FO and you couldn't in Underrail, so it is hard to make a real comparison on the merits of each. The save scumming ruined FOs combat. Other than combat, FO had some of the best content and shit to do. I think all the non-combat content is so great it didn't just make up for the save scum combat - it made it one of the best games ever despite it. And still a better game than Underrail, which is always one of my high top 10s.

Tigranes

Arcane
I disagree with Roqua, but I think his opinion there is entirely reasonable, and stated reasonably.

I don't think players' savescumming should really count against a game. It's their fault for playing like a retard.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Tigranes took the words out of my mouth, though I'd like to ask the specific gameplay aspects you thought FO did better than Underrail?

Roqua

Prospernaut
I disagree with Roqua, but I think his opinion there is entirely reasonable, and stated reasonably.

I don't think players' savescumming should really count against a game. It's their fault for playing like a retard.

I really don't understand this argument. If a game allows you to save and reload, you save and reload. I play ironman on games when it is offered. But otherwise I use the mechanics and system I have to win.

Do you accept it when you lose a check and the chest won't open, or if you get caught stealing and attacked by the guards? Did you get caught by the owner in the begging of Hero-U and say, "Well, good game! Very short though!"

In FO, you can kill the army that kidnapped that girl in the beginning and get tons of shit and xp - the whole fucking goal of everything. If I can do it I am doing it. If I have a 1% change to pick someone's pocket and that person has something I want - I am getting it.

Save/reloading isn't cheating. There is a reason every other game doesn't allow it. Why? It ruins combat. The mechanics of the game, which include saving and reloading, trivialize it. In FO 1/2 my character kills almost everyone with an eye crit. Why? Because the game does nothing to stop it. Most games stop you from killing a whole army that can kill you in a couple of shots by not having save scuming.

Jezal_k23

From what I've played of it, Underrail might actually be better than Fallout, mostly because it seems to be the first legitimate evolution of the Fallout formula that has ever come out (I certainly know of no other games that nailed the gameplay and general feel/atmosphere the same way).

Roqua

Prospernaut
From what I've played of it, Underrail might actually be better than Fallout, mostly because it seems to be the first legitimate evolution of the Fallout formula that has ever come out (I certainly know of no other games that nailed the gameplay and general feel/atmosphere the same way).

I think Arcanum did great if you are talking about the Fallout gameplay formula and systems.

Speaking of FO type games - does anyone know where you can get Omega Syndrome now?

Tigranes

Arcane

I really don't understand this argument. If a game allows you to save and reload, you save and reload. I play ironman on games when it is offered. But otherwise I use the mechanics and system I have to win.

Do you accept it when you lose a check and the chest won't open, or if you get caught stealing and attacked by the guards? Did you get caught by the owner in the begging of Hero-U and say, "Well, good game! Very short though!"

In FO, you can kill the army that kidnapped that girl in the beginning and get tons of shit and xp - the whole fucking goal of everything. If I can do it I am doing it. If I have a 1% change to pick someone's pocket and that person has something I want - I am getting it.

Save/reloading isn't cheating. There is a reason every other game doesn't allow it. Why? It ruins combat. The mechanics of the game, which include saving and reloading, trivialize it. In FO 1/2 my character kills almost everyone with an eye crit. Why? Because the game does nothing to stop it. Most games stop you from killing a whole army that can kill you in a couple of shots by not having save scuming.

I agree that, usually, the point is to use mechanics we are given to win. But I also accept that few games, digital or otherwise, gives me a perfect set of restrictions. When I encounter an otherwise fantastic game that sadly is missing a key restriction, I don't say, "alright, now I guess I savescum all the time and have zero fun or challenge". I either say, "I quit, this is a bad challenge", or I say, "I'll play in a way that is actually fun and worthwhile."

I used to savescum pickpocketing, until I realised, what the hell is the difference between just cheating in that item and pickpocketing it, if I am doing it this way? I am not really obeying the restrictions of the game, I am debasing the quality of my own experience, and I'm not fooling anyone that I earned this piece of loot by the book. Hell, I might as well use the console, and waste less of my life. It used to please me to get that ring with 1% chance of success. Then I realised, I spent 20 fucking minutes savescumming bored out of my skull, and I didn't even fairly overcome this challenge to earn it. Now if I use this ring to beat my enemies, it just feels like cheating. What's the point?

Let's say there was an exploit in FO1 where if you spent two hours swapping items out of your inventory in some obscure trick, you could exploit the code to get a whole lot of money (a kind of bug we've seen in many games). Then, according to this logic, you would always do it, right? My opinion is that yes, I primarily play for the sense of challenge and to beat the rules of the game (rather than story), but I focus on creating conditions for exciting challenges and memorable defeats. I don't fancy doing everything the code allows me to do, however excruciatingly boring and pointless, as long as I win.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Arcanum and Prelude to Darkness are better RPGs than Fallout, but Fallout is definitely in top 3. I'd argue that objectively Arcanum is the best one, because it gives player most freedom, however, both PtD and Fallout are very close to it. The only RPGs that also give the player lots of freedom (without being sandbox "you can do anything you want! see that mountain? you can go there") are Fallout 2, Gothic and Gothic 2, as well as Deus Ex. Maybe also Bloodlines.

But games overall? I'd argue there are other better games than Fallout if we count very different games. Such as Dwarf Fortress or The Void, but these might be very subjective, so I guess one should only consider RPGs

Roqua

Prospernaut
I used to savescum pickpocketing, until I realised, what the hell is the difference between just cheating in that item and pickpocketing it, if I am doing it this way?

One is cheating and one is using the hand you were dealt to win.

I don't disagree with you in theory. Like I said I play ironman mode when a game has it usually. I make a four man party in ToEE. I often artificially inflate the challenge a game has. But in no game did I ever not win a battle. Those fuckers took Tawny or whatever her name was, and deserved to die. I killed them all. I took there shit. I gained experience. I was a fucking hero. And I did it without cheating even a little. That's what games are about.

The real question is why the fuck did they allow saving and reloading during combat? Or why hasn't the fan patches removed that option?

The answer is everyone who plays it is used to it. They also play games like I do and kill all the rapists and all the slavers, etc. The only way to do it is to save scum. Remove save scum you basically remove being a fucking goody-two-shoe hero out of the game.

Also, Save scuming isn't an exploit. The put it in on purpose. Was putting live bombs in people's inventory an exploit? If so I count it as a feature.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Prelude to Darkness

That's crazy talk. It was a good game, but far from being great. It was great for an indie game at the time. It had full party gen and other shit I am extremely biased towards and love, but the content was severely lacking.

Did those guys ever make any more rpgs? I know they went to a game developer thats name was a play on Quixote's "Tilting at Mills" from Cervantes' book.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thief: The Dark Project is the best game of all time.
/thread

Now if we are talking about the best RPG...I'd say it would be the best if it didn't have pretty crappy combat. So I'd rather say Baldur's Gate is the best. :troll:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Thief: The Dark Project is the best game of all time.
/thread

Now if we are talking about the best RPG...I'd say it would be the best if it didn't have pretty crappy combat. So I'd rather say Baldur's Gate is the best. :troll:

Is Soros paying you to say this stuff?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom