Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
cnhtki3sfgj11.gif

Can someone dig out original Soldier of Fortune to check whether the opponents talk after they're dead?

bataille

Arcane
If you were given an opportunity to immediately get your hands on either this or copper dreams, what would you choose? Tell me your secrets.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
This gameplay reveal was very underwhelming. I shouldn't have expected better from CD Popamole Red.

10% of the gaming world suddenly came down with a case of motion sickness or FP-phobia after the reveal of perspective. Guaranteed they are perfectly fine when any other studio does it though.

No, they usually just avoid FP games period, sometimes out of dumb ignorance, sometimes out of alleged motion sickness. But this one they can't ignore because there's a massive hype train for it and they liked Twitcher so they want this too.
You can't even get motion sickness from games. What the hell, is their ps4 in a fucking hamster ball?

10% of gamers:

Big Wrangle

That's incorrect, though it depends. Games that don't let you disable motion blur make me pretty dizzy, for example. It's also a matter of low FOV. But honestly they'll most likely stick with FPS only, because the game has less objects on the screen, thus the framerate count not shitting itself.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
So do you actually feel dizzy, or do your eyes just need to take a break after an hour?

Big Wrangle

Bit of both, but mostly the latter. It builds up and at a certain I just need to stop, don't think it was bad enough for me to stumble around though. Still pretty annoying, so most of the time I just don't touch the games again.

Yosharian

Arcane
It was an exaggeration for effect. Let's more realistically say 'A beer case'. Better?

And back to topic, if we take the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system, I'd say to handle an assault rifle without penalties (not 'at all') a char should have a strength of '3'. That shouldn't be too prohibitive.
I agree, that sounds fine.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I always found Half-Life (and Half-Life 2!) was a nauseating experience. But Team Fortress 2 and other Source based titles (Portal) were more bearable. Maybe it has to do with FOV, and how the momentum works in that game.

Yosharian

Arcane
RPG 7 is roughly 7kg according to Google. Any normal person should be able to lift that with two hands.
I hate to resurrect this discussion all over again, but with a warhead it's nearly 10kg, and the discussion was about a strength-1 character, not a 'normal person'. Also, it wasn't just about lifting it, but carrying it around in combat, firing it accurately, etc.

But, Junta made a good point when he said that carry capacity alone figures out a lot of these problems.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I hate to resurrect this discussion all over again, but with a warhead it's nearly 10kg, and the discussion was about a strength-1 character, not a 'normal person'. Also, it wasn't just about lifting it, but carrying it around in combat, firing it accurately, etc.
Well, that also depends on WHAT warhead because a RPG 7 had many different rocket types.
True, STR 1 isn't average, 4 or 5 would be average. 6 or 7 if the character does harder physical labor, applying to real life. STR 1 would probably be literally disabled in some way.

Generic-Giant-Spider

If you get motion sickness from FPS games that's like God telling you himself that you're not meant for gaming and to consider collecting board games.

Cerulean

Cipher
If you get motion sickness from FPS games that's like God telling you himself that you're not meant for gaming and to consider collecting board games.

It all depends on how its coded. In modern game engines it's not really an issue, but it wasn't always this way. Lo these fourteen years ago (2004), for Half-Life 2, I distinctly remember several online discussions about how people would get motion sickness when playing through the air-boat levels. I can't find a link, but I remember an article about the Steam Dev who worked on that level, and he had to lie down and take breaks from time to time so that he didn't lose his lunch. As for me, it happened one time; I had to take a break from the game for a couple of weeks before I could work up the nerve to try it again (having a game make you want to literally throw up will do that, I guess). A year later, I got a new video card, played the same area, and it wasn't an issue at all. Go figure.

Sykar

Arcane
Well, that also depends on WHAT warhead because a RPG 7 had many different rocket types.
True, STR 1 isn't average, 4 or 5 would be average. 6 or 7 if the character does harder physical labor, applying to real life. STR 1 would probably be literally disabled in some way.

That depends on where you draw the baseline and how it relates to the rest of the spectrum. You can feasably say that the average 1.50m woman has strength 1 which would still allow her to function normally even if she had to use an RPG 7. I can make the argument that disabled people have no place in a dog eats dog world because they would have already been "eaten". Back to Cyberpunk 2077, the only exception might be some netrunner who does nothing but sit in his basement and hacks all day never moving a finger outside of the bare necessities but that will not be the case in Cyberpunk 2077 and is therefore a worthless argument.

Yosharian

Arcane

It all depends on how its coded. In modern game engines it's not really an issue, but it wasn't always this way. Lo these fourteen years ago (2004), for Half-Life 2, I distinctly remember several online discussions about how people would get motion sickness when playing through the air-boat levels. I can't find a link, but I remember an article about the Steam Dev who worked on that level, and he had to lie down and take breaks from time to time so that he didn't lose his lunch. As for me, it happened one time; I had to take a break from the game for a couple of weeks before I could work up the nerve to try it again (having a game make you want to literally throw up will do that, I guess). A year later, I got a new video card, played the same area, and it wasn't an issue at all. Go figure.
FPS plays a part, perhaps?

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I've read that the game will not give the chance of joining factions. Not sure if it is a bad thing or not. I wanted a New vegas in that regard lol. Why is so complicated to AAA games to replicate what Fallout: New vegas did well? :negative:

This is some peak autism. Why do you people even use SPECIAL? You can use a wide variety of tabletop RPGs which have detailed encumbrance tables, and than take into the account the force of gun recoil, and not only its weight. Problem solved. Instead, there are at least three pages of condensed autism. :nocountryforshitposters:

Codex Year of the Donut
This is some peak autism. Why do you people even use SPECIAL? You can use a wide variety of tabletop RPGs which have detailed encumbrance tables, and than take into the account the force of gun recoil, and not only its weight. Problem solved. Instead, there are at least three pages of condensed autism. :nocountryforshitposters:
tabletop RPGs are cancer

anyone who disagrees can go read their 900 page convoluted manual to see if it tells them what to think when someone tells them the truth

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Last pages are autistic as fuck. You can carry around RPG-7 with STR 1, but to fire this relatively recoil-less weapon you need a STR 3.
You can carry rile with a STR 1, but fire even .22 LR, especially without any skill in firearms to properly place weapon against your shoulder, you need some more. Let's say Str 2 for .22LR and Str 5 for 5.45x39 in full auto.
Dixi. Stop your fucking autism. Because I'm a DM. :troll:
Have you ever saw an old man who can't even move bowl of soup without spilling it? That's STR 1.
A propos, watch this training video carefully:

Aim1ess

Novice
I wish this wasn't open world.

If anything it feels like they are reeling in the wide open spaces of nothing in favor of more content density..

Which is a good thing.

How long until we reach Warren Spector's ideal "game that takes place entirely in a single city block?"

Although to be fair, that's entirely appropriate for a cyberpunk game.
If its done properly, a good game can take place in a chair. Who cares. Just execute the design well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom