Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Help choose the The New World's new title

East of Earth is okay, Starship Leviathan is bad, as are the original three.

Major Blackhart mentioned descent into Hell. Both 'Abandon All Hope' and 'Ye Who Enter Here' would make a solid title. Particularly the latter is certainly more memorable than 'The This of the That'.

The Pilgrims of Earth is best, but should be shortened to Pilgrims of Earth.

Like everyone else, I also agree that all three names are lame, except for Starfarer, which while generic, most aptly names the game.

Or you could use my personal top choice, Pasty Butt Darts from Sodom.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
MRY's suggestions:

East of Earth - I think it has a credible 1960s space opera quality to it, it's obviously about space travel, it hits the Biblical angle, and players who tagged cultural literacy will grasp that it suggests that things have not gone well aboard the ship.
As I mull this, I would throw out a possible alternative name to Starfarer for the ship: Leviathan. It's a plausible Biblical name and fits the governmental theme. What about "Starship Leviathan"?
Thoughts?

A play on East of Eden? To me it doesn't give the connotation you'd want. I don't hate it since I gave a bunch of titles of books about traveling as well. Bu to me it would be like naming the game Carpetbaggers, which is also about travelling somewhat in the name, but not in the content of the book.

I do agree that Starfarer isn't a good name for a colony ship. I think the first generation ship will be the obvious names that come from history and mythology. I wouldn't go for on-the-nose like Mayflower, Nina, Pinta, Santa Maria, etc. But Beagle? Too silly? Golden Hind? Not too good. I'd go with mythology. Leviathan would be an ominous name for a generation ship. But something like Lachesis that could fit a theme or narrative of the story would be neat (she was one of the three fates and she decided how long a person was going to live). Iris? Dike? Demeter (earth mother)?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Lost in Space

wait, that's taken

Dead Space

damn, again

But seriously, what kind of image do you even want to evoke, is it something looking from the outside in, meta-acknowledging that this is a generation ship and people are enclosed in there by an infinity of void, or is it from the perspective of one of the people in the ship, not all too clear on the whole concept, trying to explore his humongous world of steel.

One is looking in and claustrophobic, the other is outward looking, similar the cover of Gene Wolfe's Lake of the Long Sun that projects largeness and wide horizons

1785827.jpg

Zakhad

Savant
"East of Earth" is great.

Major Blackhart mentioned descent into Hell. Both 'Abandon All Hope' and 'Ye Who Enter Here' would make a solid title. Particularly the latter is certainly more memorable than 'The This of the That'.

I'd prefer Milton, if we're going to use a literary allusion to living in hell, since in Paradise Lost there is an actual attempt to live in hell as though it were someplace one could live. Not sure the best quote, though. "The Vast Abyss"? "Here at last shall we be free" would be a nice ironic tag-line but is too long for a title.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
"East of Earth" is great.

I'd prefer Milton, if we're going to use a literary allusion to living in hell, since in Paradise Lost there is an actual attempt to live in hell as though it were someplace one could live. Not sure the best quote, though. "The Vast Abyss"? "Here at last shall we be free" would be a nice ironic tag-line but is too long for a title.

Dunno, East of Earth is just as bad as Starship Leviathan, as well as the other three choices

Actually, The Vast Abyss sounds cool, but probably a better title for a metal band

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
How about a play on the "Cold Equations"

"Grim Group Dynamics"

or something non-sensical

"Violent Objects in Space"

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Call it Proxima. If not that, maybe,

Proxima: The Journey

Proxima: The Pilgrimage

Proxima Evince

#3 is wack, #1 is too generic, and #2 is too long the way it is. East of Earth is alright I guess, but 1-2 word titles are generally the best for a game.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Oh that's a hard one, losing The New World as title. It was a good fit.

Personally I think you should go for a descriptive title if you don't have one that is both evocative and clear in its meaning. Journey/Voyage to Proxima Centauri also has that Jules Verne feel.

In any case, the #1 title is a no go. It says nothing about the game or the down to earth (heh) approach to the setting.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think you should consider a title with the word "Bound" in it. Bound for a place, bound together, stuck within the bounds of the ship. Also the idea of a leap (of faith, of science). Plus a hint of the hope and excitement that was contained in the idea of a "new" world.

I think Starbound and Spacebound are taken, and are pretty generic anyways.

"Bound for Proxima Centauri" is not bad, but there might be better.

deuxhero

Arcane
I really think the title starting with "The" should be maintained. I like the article at the start of the title and there's plenty of influences that used it. "The Age of Decadence" is obvious, but there's also "The Weapon Shops of Isher" ect.

"The Starfarer" is an easy way to make the first option fit that (not a vote for it over the others)

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Wasn't 'The Sunless World' being considered before you chose to go with TNW?

I thought it was a pretty good name back then.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
MRY's suggestions:

East of Earth - I think it has a credible 1960s space opera quality to it, it's obviously about space travel, it hits the Biblical angle, and players who tagged cultural literacy will grasp that it suggests that things have not gone well aboard the ship.
As I mull this, I would throw out a possible alternative name to Starfarer for the ship: Leviathan. It's a plausible Biblical name and fits the governmental theme. What about "Starship Leviathan"?
Thoughts?

Not bad. Certainly much better than the names suggested in the OP.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
MRY's suggestions:

Thoughts?

Of the ideas so far I like East of Earth, and shortening the title to Pilgrims of Earth.

I suppose a bible reference close to the old title would be 'The Promised Land'.

Maybe just go extremely obvious and call it, 'Starship Exodus'. Personally I prefer that over Starship Leviathan.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
so why isn't there an actual poll in this thread?

Starfarer is generic but of the 3 options it's the only usable one.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Did I help guys? Did I do good?

Ok, stream of thought.

Naming the game after the ship would be appropriate I think.

Something to do with COLONY perhaps.

STARFARER PROJECT

Eh...

http://fractalsoftworks.com/

Oh.

New Terra sounds like it was used too. Something with Gaia could sub perhaps but..

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom