Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Pillars of Eternity II - It's Pretty Alright

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dunno about the rest of you but at least I'm feeling some combat fatigue also. The Codex is mostly just the same people repeating the same opinions about the same (or similar) things. I don't really need to read the damn thing to know what everybody thinks, and it feels fairly futile to say anything either because most people will either know what I think anyway, or have such strong beliefs about what I think that nothing I could say would change them anyway.

Moreover, there have been very few games lately that break any new ground in any way. It's been either the usual garbage, or old ideas retreaded to varying degrees of success. It's hard to work up a good head of steam about either of them.

Help us Disco Elysium, you're our only hope (continuously and pointedly ignored by Infinitron too).
On this note, I think it's time to find a new person to review your games. He doesn't even enjoy it anymore, and the RPG Codex has no value to the world if it doesn't take games seriously.

Why do I read this site if I'm just going to read a review by someone who is "happy the lore stuff was behind wiki-links so I don't have to read it"? Yeah, that's funny, but that's what every lazy mainstream journalist does. I don't read this site to find even an even lazier take than that. I read this to find a passionate, hardcore take by people who love the genre. This reads like it was written by an apathetic stoner trying to entertain his friends.

Time for some new blood.

so what would be the hardkore take on wiki links

molotov.

Novice
Dunno about the rest of you but at least I'm feeling some combat fatigue also. The Codex is mostly just the same people repeating the same opinions about the same (or similar) things. I don't really need to read the damn thing to know what everybody thinks, and it feels fairly futile to say anything either because most people will either know what I think anyway, or have such strong beliefs about what I think that nothing I could say would change them anyway.

Moreover, there have been very few games lately that break any new ground in any way. It's been either the usual garbage, or old ideas retreaded to varying degrees of success. It's hard to work up a good head of steam about either of them.

Help us Disco Elysium, you're our only hope (continuously and pointedly ignored by Infinitron too).
On this note, I think it's time to find a new person to review your games. He doesn't even enjoy it anymore, and the RPG Codex has no value to the world if it doesn't take games seriously.

Why do I read this site if I'm just going to read a review by someone who is "happy the lore stuff was behind wiki-links so I don't have to read it"? Yeah, that's funny, but that's what every lazy mainstream journalist does. I don't read this site to find even an even lazier take than that. I read this to find a passionate, hardcore take by people who love the genre. This reads like it was written by an apathetic stoner trying to entertain his friends.

Time for some new blood.

so what would be the hardkore take on wiki links

I think that the usage of wiki links is the most solid proof that your game story has failed to grasp any attention. Designers that think there is too much boring information that they need to remind the player where they are and who they are dealing with, I think that is the definition of wiki links in recent games.

Recently I watched The Lord of The Rings trylogy with my girlfriend, I never had to explain the difference between Mordor and Isengard.

Malpercio

Arcane
someone on reddit finally posted a thread for the review

mostly seem butthurt that he called the companions flaming homos

IT'S CURRENT YEAR

The codex: Bitches about game journalism injecting their "own politics into reviews".
Also the codex: Inject its own right wing politics into their reviews now.

Also what if the main character is female? :philosoraptor: Does the review score go up because lesbians are hot and tolerated by right wings? :philosoraptor:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

IT'S CURRENT YEAR

The codex: Bitches about game journalism injecting their "own politics into reviews".

Also what if the main character is female? :philosoraptor: Does the review score go up because lesbians are hot and tolerated by right wings? :philosoraptor:

Pity post.

Malpercio

Arcane

IT'S CURRENT YEAR

Pity post.

You didn't answer my question though.

Tao

Savant
I'm still waiting the definitive edition, i assume there are still a lot of people waiting too.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

IT'S CURRENT YEAR

Pity post.

You didn't answer my question though.

i did

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

You're just getting 30+ according to scientific research

Or, you now, just common forum attrition, happens to most sooner or later, and you've been on here long enough

Still, while Disco Elysium looks interesting, I don't think it'll be the savior of RPGs. If its good, it will be a slightly offbeat RPG mostly ignored by the masses and liked to a degree on places like the Codex

Curratum

Well, that's good to hear, Infinitron.

I bought it deluxe with all DLC because it was ridiculously cheap, something like 25 bucks, but I'm waiting for all the retarded balance tweaks and all DLC to come out before I even start it, so yeah, some day!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom