Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

taxalot plays Quest for Glory

SerratedBiz

Arcane
- A nice big strawman to end the post (TheWorld haven't even hinted at his lack of knowledge about a game function being the problem of the game).

I actually went back and forth between your post and his and mixed the two while I was typing my post. They're that much alike. It wasn't a strawman.

"I personally haven't experienced something therefore it doesn't exist".

I'm casting doubt on the fact that, from however many posters there are in this thread, apparently the majority came across game-breaking missing triggers that kept them from finishing the game. The fact that there's more of them than there is of me doesn't make them right; it's anecdotal evidence anyway. Their experience is just as valid as mine.

For the bandwagon part: refer to point above. I think that people are jumping on the bandwagon of "yeah these bugged triggers" to further their criticism of the game, regardless of whether they actually experienced them or not. Again, I myself played and knew a lot of people who played (because I copied the floppy discs for them) QfG3 back in the day and none of us had any problems with triggers finishing the game.

There's just as much validity in my experience as there is in anyone else's, and I don't think all of them had faulty triggers mess up their games. And it's my fucking opinion man, if you don't want to read it, ignore me.

TheWorld

Educated
I actually went back and forth between your post and his and mixed the two while I was typing my post. They're that much alike. It wasn't a strawman.

I'm casting doubt on the fact that, from however many posters there are in this thread, apparently the majority came across game-breaking missing triggers that kept them from finishing the game. The fact that there's more of them than there is of me doesn't make them right; it's anecdotal evidence anyway. Their experience is just as valid as mine.

For the bandwagon part: refer to point above. I think that people are jumping on the bandwagon of "yeah these bugged triggers" to further their criticism of the game, regardless of whether they actually experienced them or not. Again, I myself played and knew a lot of people who played (because I copied the floppy discs for them) QfG3 back in the day and none of us had any problems with triggers finishing the game.

There's just as much validity in my experience as there is in anyone else's, and I don't think all of them had faulty triggers mess up their games. And it's my fucking opinion man, if you don't want to read it, ignore me.

Well going back and forth between posts is nice, but you could try also reading them. That would be even nicer.

I never blamed the game for the mouth thing. I didn't have any manual (because arrrr!) and it wasn't a common feature in adventure games. I think it's a very cool feature that allows you to interact in a more meaningful way than just asking questions.

If you just go a tiny bit ahead in my post you will read that I say I don't remember having many problems with broken triggers, and that while the game doesn't give you a lot of direction, you just have to explore around and you can quite easily figure out stuff. I finished this game when I was in elementary school... can't be that much hard I guess.

If you look at an older post you'll see that I love that game, even though I think it's not among the best in the series.

Cael

Arcane
If you look at an older post you'll see that I love that game, even though I think it's not among the best in the series.
Too many retarded fanbois think that just because you say something is less good, it must mean you think it is bad.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A thief in QFG could become anything except a fighter anyway. It's no accident that the majority of time i replay these games i start with a thief in qfg 1: you can right away get one ( two ? ) extra out of class skills and in qfg 2 you get the other one and can become a paladin or a wizard (you can already be a magic user regardless). Basically thieves can do anything except the most specific of the class specific quests and since they can turn into paladins with all skills you can always switch classes to a paladin with spells and thief abilities. The thieves guild doesn't actually care about classes and it's possible to minimize or game honor loss and gain (pretty much bad design, but i'll take it).

Problem is, if you do this, your fate is grinding and certain game sequences might cause a bit of scheduling problems if you're dead set in getting all those numbers up (especially the fucking spells).

It's just OCD ofc, you can do whatever.

BTW, from the last time i played (which was years ago), iirc playing quest for glory 2 vga remake instead of normal 2 might allow qfg3 import to behave better than normal - i think i got the 'Keapon Laffin spell joke' even with a character that was not a mage if they had magic ability. Or might not, maybe just my imagination.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So. QFG 4. Is there a hack or something that removes the absolutely horrible backdrop of the text boxes ?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Okay everyone. Need a bit of a tiny hint here.

I swore to myself this september to stop using cheats or walkthrough, even if that means giving up on a game (nerd gamer life goal, lol, I know). I now allow myself only one exception : checking in advance for dead end / zombie situation. Apparently, QFG4 has one related to a creature called "The Domovoi" you are supposed to meet early in the game. I am on Day 3 and this hasn't happened yet.

So I stumbled on this website

http://questforglory.wikia.com/wiki/Inn_Domovoi

And I am slightly worried. While I am still in time for my first meeting with the Domovoi, the description of it in this page mentions several encounters at very precise time periods. What is this ? Am I screwed if I miss even only one these ? Does the Domovoi give you tasks at certain days that have to be completed in a certain time frame , like in QFG 2 ? Or is this page full of shit ?

Cael

Arcane
Okay everyone. Need a bit of a tiny hint here.

I swore to myself this september to stop using cheats or walkthrough, even if that means giving up on a game (nerd gamer life goal, lol, I know). I now allow myself only one exception : checking in advance for dead end / zombie situation. Apparently, QFG4 has one related to a creature called "The Domovoi" you are supposed to meet early in the game. I am on Day 3 and this hasn't happened yet.

So I stumbled on this website

http://questforglory.wikia.com/wiki/Inn_Domovoi

And I am slightly worried. While I am still in time for my first meeting with the Domovoi, the description of it in this page mentions several encounters at very precise time periods. What is this ? Am I screwed if I miss even only one these ? Does the Domovoi give you tasks at certain days that have to be completed in a certain time frame , like in QFG 2 ? Or is this page full of shit ?
It only appears at nght after everyone has gone to bed.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Thanks for the hint but...

Is the rest of the page true ? After that first time, can I "miss" the Domovoi and get stuck the next time he appears and I'm not there ?
Do I need to do any other actions before a certain time ?

Cael

Arcane

Is the rest of the page true ? After that first time, can I "miss" the Domovoi and get stuck the next time he appears and I'm not there ?
I have no idea. I have never missed it, but I don't recall if my playthroughs encountered him on different days. Wish I could help further.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Can't help either. It's sad that you haven't met him without any spoilers though. The first time you do is one of the creepiest and coolest moments in the game imho - if you are completely unprepared. Walking around the house at night when everyone is asleep and then... something in this room is different... WTF!?
Can't remember any problems with him appearing in my game but that doesn't mean there aren't any potential bugs involved.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
I'm sure there are a lot of potential bugs. The game keeps crashing and sending me back to DOS. This might be the first QFG I am not sure to complete.

It's still early for me in the game so I might as well ask : less crashy and less buggy in ScummVM?

Cael

Arcane
I recall crashing when trying to get down the slope at the mouth of the damned cave. That's right, you finally get out of the tutorial area and BANG! Crash to disk. Ugh! QFG4 was so damned buggy.

Anyway, Bobbin Threadbare did an excellent LP of the entire QFG series. He didn't mention any time limit on the little guy, and usually he does mention all of the timed stuff and tricks and downright cruel stuff Sierra pulls on you.

visions

Arcane
I'm sure there are a lot of potential bugs. The game keeps crashing and sending me back to DOS. This might be the first QFG I am not sure to complete.

It's still early for me in the game so I might as well ask : less crashy and less buggy in ScummVM?

Is your game patched? I'm currently playing the GOG version (which comes patched afaik) in Dosbox and haven't encountered any crashes nor noticed any bugs yet (I'm somewhere past day 10). AFAIK ScummvmVM doesn't support QfG 4 yet.

EDIT: link to patches: http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/Patches-Updates-Games/QuestForGloryUpdates.html

Last edited:

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I'm sure that the Domovoi doesn't simply show up on a certain day and that's it, you're screwed. I never used a walkthrough in any of my multiple playthroughs of QfG4 and I wouldn't have made sure to stay at the inn on a certain day or whatever. A cursory google search tells me that other players have had a similar experience, where just eventually staying at the inn prompts you to meet the Domovoi eventually.

Just don't burn the monastery until you've been given a certain kid's item by the Domovoi.

visions

Arcane
I think I jynxed myself by saying I haven't encountered any bugs yet.

Spoiler regarding Nikolai.

Was doing Nikolai and Anna's quest, told Nikolai about Anna's ghost, Nikolai ran off. I checked UHS at that point because I suspected maybe that was the wrong way of handling the situation (it wasn't). I noticed a bit about a hat that I was supposed to get after reuniting Anna and Nikolai but I didn't get any hat. Not sure if the hat should have been dropped to the ground after the ghosts disappearing but I didn't see any hat on the ground either. Came back at daytime, still didn't see a hat. Or maybe I'm going blind. In any case, there was no dialogue reference to a hat either.

Good thing I checked the UHS, otherwise I wouldn't even know about the hat.

Non-spoiler tl;dr: missed an item probably due to a bug, wouldn't even know I missed anything if I hadn't checked UHS (universal hint system).

So I guess it's worthwhile to occasionally check UHS when playing QFG4. I guess I'll load an older save and see if the bug still shows up.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think I jynxed myself by saying I haven't encountered any bugs yet.

Spoiler regarding Nikolai.

Was doing Nikolai and Anna's quest, told Nikolai about Anna's ghost, Nikolai ran off. I checked UHS at that point because I suspected maybe that was the wrong way of handling the situation (it wasn't). I noticed a bit about a hat that I was supposed to get after reuniting Anna and Nikolai but I didn't get any hat. Not sure if the hat should have been dropped to the ground after the ghosts disappearing but I didn't see any hat on the ground either. Came back at daytime, still didn't see a hat. Or maybe I'm going blind. In any case, there was no dialogue reference to a hat either.

Good thing I checked the UHS, otherwise I wouldn't even know about the hat.

Non-spoiler tl;dr: missed an item probably due to a bug, wouldn't even know I missed anything if I hadn't checked UHS (universal hint system).

So I guess it's worthwhile to occasionally check UHS when playing QFG4. I guess I'll load an older save and see if the bug still shows up.

If you are where I think you are, you have to see Nikolai and Anna together first. After that, when they disappear you'll find his hat (may have to leave and return after they reunite).

visions

Arcane
Turns out it wasn't a bug but kinda unintuitive. I guess I was hasty in assuming a bug, due to the reputation of being buggy that QfG 4 has.

If you are where I think you are, you have to see Nikolai and Anna together first. After that, when they disappear you'll find his hat (may have to leave and return after they reunite).

I indeed had to leave and return.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom