Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
fallout 76

What makes this game huge? It wasn't built from the ground up, it just uses Fallout 4's assets.

bethestard.png

Ash

Arcane
>expecting the AAA machine to die.

Not going to happen. They've mastered the science of milking retards. It's also the biggest and most profitable in all of entertainment industry; bigger than Hollywood even.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
>expecting the AAA machine to die.

Not going to happen. They've mastered the science of milking retards. It's also the biggest and most profitable in all of entertainment industry; bigger than Hollywood even.

Yeah, although, if the publisher gets enough humongous flops in a row, they will get in trouble, but in reality, we're not gonna see another big crash like the 80s. We might see one of the big publishers get into big trouble though, if we're very lucky, I think Ubisoft or Activision could be the most probable, as EA has their sports franchises, and Take Two can throw another GTA out.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Will be interesting to see if I was right about this generation of consoles being the last traditional console generation.

Funnily enough, Microsoft has taken some steps towards ending the idea of traditional consoles but Sony is digging themselves in to keep traditional console gaming alive. And Sony fans are lapping that fucking shit up. Just look at how their fanboys are chomping at the bit to defend Sony's stance on the console crossplay thing, even though it's only PS4 players who are losing out by not having crossplay.

Will be interesting to see how the next generation looks. I like how MS have moved to basically make the Xbox One and PC interchangeable (pity you need Win10 though). I hope they keep that up in the next gen. The sooner the idea of consoles as a walled garden dies off, the better for everyone.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Will be interesting to see if I was right about this generation of consoles being the last traditional console generation.

Funnily enough, Microsoft has taken some steps towards ending the idea of traditional consoles but Sony is digging themselves in to keep traditional console gaming alive. And Sony fans are lapping that fucking shit up. Just look at how their fanboys are chomping at the bit to defend Sony's stance on the console crossplay thing, even though it's only PS4 players who are losing out by not having crossplay.

Will be interesting to see how the next generation looks. I like how MS have moved to basically make the Xbox One and PC interchangeable (pity you need Win10 though). I hope they keep that up in the next gen. The sooner the idea of consoles as a walled garden dies off, the better for everyone.
You can't really fault Sony for trying to keep traditional consoles alive. For MS, there is the PC and Windows 10, and seeing how they are losing in this console generation, it makes sense for them to push Xbox and PC together. Sony doesn't have a PC platform, if traditional consoles lose their edge, it's game over to Sony's gaming division. They are not stupid, they won't be clapping their hands for the prospect of losing billions of dollars. So of course they are clinging to traditional consoles.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
You can't really fault Sony for trying to keep traditional consoles alive. For MS, there is the PC and Windows 10, and seeing how they are losing in this console generation, it makes sense for them to push Xbox and PC together. Sony doesn't have a PC platform, if traditional consoles lose their edge, it's game over to Sony's gaming division. They are not stupid, they won't be clapping their hands for the prospect of losing billions of dollars. So of course they are clinging to traditional consoles.

Yeah, I can definitely see it from Sony's point of view too. It just sucks because it's high time we broke away from that model of console gaming.

Considering how many formerly PC-only games are making the jump to console, I like the idea of a future where a console is just a cheap PC designed to only play games (with keyboard and mouse as input options, obviously).

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

Yeah, I can definitely see it from Sony's point of view too. It just sucks because it's high time we broke away from that model of console gaming.

Considering how many formerly PC-only games are making the jump to console, I like the idea of a future where a console is just a cheap PC designed to only play games (with keyboard and mouse as input options, obviously).

From a hardware point both PS4 and Xbone are already that,only Switch is different since it's using an ARM based cpu

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The next fundamental change won't be the interchangeability of PC and XBox, but streaming (which unfortunately gives the publishers even more power over consumers).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I think that is the future anways. Sony is trying to postpone it, but I think it is inevitable.

Seriously guyz, plz explain to me the phenomenon of Xbone, I totally don't get it.

The console was weaker than PS4, its exclusives were only temporary and now they're on PC too thanks to Microsoft's unified W10 environment policy.

PS4 outselled it then but M$ still put money in Xbox by releasing Xbox S which changed nothing.

Last year (?) they're released ANOTHER Xbone (Xbox X) which is moar fancy, have some backward compatibilty advantages but it still overpriced mid-tier PC with no games.

Why is this brand still relevant? Maybe one of Codexers has it so can share his thoughts.

Last edited:

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Seriously guyz, plz explain to me the phenomenon of Xbone, I totally don't get it.

The console was weaker than PS4, its exclusives were only temporary and now they're on PC too thank to Microsoft's unified W10 environment policy.

PS4 outselled it then but M$ still put money in Xbox by releasing Xbox S which changed nothing.

Last year (?) they're released ANOTHER Xbone (Xbox X) which is moar fancy, have some backward compatibilty advantages but it still overpriced mid-tier PC with no games.

Why is this brand still relevant? Maybe one of Codexers have it so can share his thoughts.

I dont know but i disliked PS since PS1 because it associated with Decline(Anime, JRPG) so naturaly i bought XBOX - cheap PC substitute to play Witcher 2 for my brother later he traded it for electric guitar:lol:

p.s. Consoles=Shit

Theldaran

Liturgist
I'll tell you the goddamned difference. This Black Friday, you could grab an Xbox S for 200 bucks (plus a game). It can run just about everything, while a 200-buck PC is good for watching p... I mean, videos, and browsing.

Being an underdog brand this generation certainly helped the average Joe with these deals. But if we give the crown to MS, terrible things will happen. Heed my warning.

I think that is the future anways. Sony is trying to postpone it, but I think it is inevitable.
Many of the US' home connections are still too crappy for it, hence the need to still have a PS5. Probably won't stop MS from pulling the "Why would you want to live there?" or a different "We've got a product for people who can't get online, it's called the xbox 360" (and preparing for cloud gaming likely played a part in their attempt to go always online this generation).
Although given MS' recent experiments in selling subsidized/payment plan xbox one x' they could also offer something beefier than a 400$ box at little to no loss per unit for those customers.

For most people however, between having to foot over 450$ just to be able to play next-gen rdr2 or simply paying 20$ for a few months of it as a stream the choice will be clear.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I dont know but i disliked PS since PS1 because it associated with Decline(Anime, JRPG)

Anime is associated with the decline of Man and the rise of Manchild.

Anime is not. Expecting real women to be anything like characters is the real culprit.

Not anime as a whole but the art style. There are some amazing stories (Miyazaki, Ghost in the Shell) but the childish art style pisses me off to no end. I remember watching Howl's Moving Castle with my cousin, we were about 25 at the time. My dad walked in, watched for a while and left with a complete incomprehension on his face. For his generation watching an animated movie, however amazingly written, would be considered a sign of utter childishness for 15 year olds, let alone 25.

And I'm not even talking about adult men playing and gushing over stuff like Mario, that's complete insanity.

The world IS degenerating and people who don't see it are either in denial or regressed beyond repair.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Seems to me you stick too much to the old ways, keep at it and be swept away with them.

Adapt or die.

Big Wrangle

For his generation watching an animated movie, however amazingly written, would be considered a sign of utter childishness for 15 year olds, let alone 25.
Does he think video games are for babies as well?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom