Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizards & Warriors running (near) perfectly on modern OSs

newtmonkey

Arcane
Hopefully GOG sells a million copies and Bradley puts aside Dungeon Lords for a couple of days to get working on W&W2!

:negative:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Okay, I couldn't help myself and bought it. It works perfectly for me with none of the issues and hassle from the cd version.

It worked just as well pumping the resolution up under d3d. It did give me tons of mouse issues when I tried software resolution.

My mouse works fine but with slight lag. Maybe because I have the software running in the foreground due to the extra mouse buttons not working a ton of games without doing that? I don't know. But the thread in the gog GD forum gives a way to lower or raise something in mouse settings to fix it as a workaround. Still, gog should address this and not require a work around for a lot of people.

I install the Jeff Ludwig mod which replaces the exe. I didn't have issues, but something graphically seemed different. I could be imagining things. I think I'll reinstall and just replace the DLL files and not the exe just in case. Just FYI to show how much of a hassle this game used to be the mod's install order shows the basics. The gog version, even with the mouse issues, is a huge improvement. Even after trying this with windows 10 a couple years ago I had major issues with super dark graphics and other things-

Install Wizards and Warriors, and immediately make a copy of this directory.
This backup is optional, but quite helpful in a pinch.

1. Download Heuristic Park's Wizards and Warriors unofficial v1.0 patch (wwpatchv1_0.zip).
2. Extract wwpatchv1_0.zip to your Wizards and Warriors directory, overwriting any files.
3. Download the Town AVI XP pack (WW-townavi.zip).
4. Extract WW-townavi.zip to your Wizards and Warriors directory, overwriting any files.
5. Backup your deep6.exe, d6trlist.dat, d6item.dat, and d6mons.dat files.
6. Extract the files in "Wizards_and_Warriors-Jeff_Mod.zip" to your Wizards and Warriors directory.
Overwriting the files is okay, if they have been backed up (otherwise, you won't be able to go
back to the stock version).
7. Download Ross Ridge's Wizards and Warriors Graphics Patch (W&WGraphicsPatch.zip).
8. Extract W&WGraphicsPatch.zip to your Wizards and Warriors directory.
9. Run W&WGraphicsPatch.exe, and tell it to use a 1280x960 resolution (fully double 640x480
will render the most clean graphics). Of course, if your monitor won't do 1280x960 resolution,
800x600 would work too.
10. Run the game, and click "Start the Game". Hit the "Game Options" orb in the lower left
part of the screen, and then go to the "Graphics" tab. To use the resolution that you set via
the graphics patch, select "D3D 800x600" for the Driver option. If you selected 800x600 in step
10, I recommend that you run the game in "D3D 640x480" mode, though.

11. Quit the game, and then restart it.

12. You should be good to go! Enjoy!

Cheers! If you like the mod, give me a shout out at
http:\\jeffludwig.com\contact.php

newtmonkey

Arcane
Please explain the disappointment and frustration W&W fans feel towards Dungeon Lords for the woefully ignorant among us.

I personally do not dislike Dungeon Lords, it's an okay action/rpg. However, compared with Wiz 5-7 and even Wiz & Warriors, it's just pure decline. It's a single character action game with rpg elements, but its extremely linear and not deep at all. It's laughable now with games like Gothic, Dark Souls series, Dragon's Dogma (even Kingdoms of Amalur ffs). On top of that, Bradley has come out and said that this is the kind of game he would have developed back in the day, if the technology was available.

It's betrayal on the level of Lord British with his one-two sneak punch to your balls of Ultima 8/9.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
So I'm fucking around with this a little bit (the GOG version).... was I supposed to meet some Elder at the very beginning of the game after leaving the Inn? Cause I didn't.... and I can't access the cemetery road as a result, or the Town Hall

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Ok, got the Elder to trigger by resetting adventures, but was then still having trouble accessing the Town Hall and the exit to the graveyard road, but I applied the AVItown fix and now it works fine. Man. COOL, gog

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Ok, got the Elder to trigger by resetting adventures, but was then still having trouble accessing the Town Hall and the exit to the graveyard road, but I applied the AVItown fix and now it works fine. Man. COOL, gog
Yeah, I discovered that as well. They didn't fix the mouse, and they didn't even fix the town avi masks properly. They've probably applied a dgVoodoo fix for D3D compatibility, and that's it.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Yeah, I discovered that as well. They didn't fix the mouse, and they didn't even fix the town avi masks properly. They've probably applied a dgVoodoo fix for D3D compatibility, and that's it.

That is such bullshit they didn't do the AVI fixes. Jeff Ledwig basically explained exactly how he made them and even the software he used on his site. Gog couldn't just copy his work or ask if they could use his AVI fix? What a bunch of pricks.

---

Anyone else use the Christian Coder DLLs from the mod and not the exe? I leveled up twice and both times it gave me 1 skill point. I thought it gave at least three on base with his mod changing the formula so this would be more? Before I put more time into this anyone know if his mode needs the exe with the DLLs? Or does that not matter since the gog version is already no-cd cracked and I am remembering wrong and lower levels with his mod give 1 skill point per level? What are people getting (that haven't replaced the DLLs, which I'm guessing most haven't)?

What governs attribute points per level? Some of my characters can get three, while others only get at most two no matter how many times I save scummed. I skimmed the three FAQs on gamefaq and didn't see this answered, or at least nothing jumped out.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
What governs attribute points per level? Some of my characters can get three, while others only get at most two no matter how many times I save scummed. I skimmed the three FAQs on gamefaq and didn't see this answered, or at least nothing jumped out.

Intelligence affects how many Skill Points you get, but not entirely certain about Attribute Points. Even the manual is vague about it, just saying "various things" (or something similar) affect the amount you get.

Roqua

Prospernaut

Intelligence affects how many Skill Points you get, but not entirely certain about Attribute Points. Even the manual is vague about it, just saying "various things" (or something similar) affect the amount you get.

I pumped up intelligence and have the lowest at 8 and highest at 15. Everyone gets 1 skill point. How many did you get on level up? At least 3, right?

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Ladders in this game are tricky, men. Just killed three of my crew trying to get down from the windmill

Roqua

Prospernaut
Ladders in this game are tricky, men. Just killed three of my crew trying to get down from the windmill

Also, finding shit. I can't remember exactly but there is a quest to find something small in a dungeon (like a amulet or something really small), and I had to look into a walkthrough (something I hate doing) to find it. It wasn't hidden; it was just really easy to miss.

Trying to get someone to talk to you while they are patrolling is also a huge hassle.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I pumped up intelligence and have the lowest at 8 and highest at 15. Everyone gets 1 skill point. How many did you get on level up? At least 3, right?
Sorry for the late reply, just started again because I decided to shift to my laptop.
Anyway, on the level up I just did (first level), everyone only got 1 skill point regardless of intelligence. WTF.
For attributes, everyone got 2 points except for one character who got 1 point. It must be random, because I have two pixies with identical stats, both Wizards, and one got 2 and the other got 1.

The only thing I've done is the avi fix. Haven't used any altered exes, etc.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Sorry for the late reply, just started again because I decided to shift to my laptop.
Anyway, on the level up I just did (first level), everyone only got 1 skill point regardless of intelligence. WTF.
For attributes, everyone got 2 points except for one character who got 1 point. It must be random, because I have two pixies with identical stats, both Wizards, and one got 2 and the other got 1.

The only thing I've done is the avi fix. Haven't used any altered exes, etc.

TY and just FYI - I changed the executable from the gog one to the mod one. This means I had to run the graphics mod too and jack the gamma up, but now I'm getting the correct amount of skill points stated from the formula given in the mod.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
GOG really dropped the ball on this not fixing more of the problems, but its nice that the install is easier now.

This is such a charming, cuddly game, it feels like being inside a kids fairytale book.

I have only ever played through the first couple of dungeons so someday I need to do a full playthrough.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
The patch that was just released by GOG (v1.0b HOTFIX1) appears to fix the avi masks, but doesn't deal with the mouse issues. The patch notes say that it does, but I see no evidence of this when I play on a fresh install on a machine with the problem (i.e. uses a flash mouse with a high polling rate).

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
When the hotfix was installed, it switched the game back to software mode on my installation. This actually made the mouse lag even worse haha. Switching back to direct3d "fixed" it.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Oh right, I guess I better check that :D

Edit: nope, was already D3D for me. I guess there's a chance it's marginally better? Either way, the only way it's bearable on my gaming machine is to lower the mouse polling rate.

Anyway, at least the avis are fixed now so new users won't be missing out on quests.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Late to the party but...oh.my.god. Been waiting for this for ages, lost all hope long ago. W&W was my first item I placed on a GoG wishlist all those years ago. One of the most underrated RPGs ever made.

Anyway game runs well but there's no intro when I start it? It puts me in the town right away (haven't tried anything else yet). Or do I see the intro only after I create the party? Also no problems with mouse so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyway game runs well but there's no intro when I start it? It puts me in the town right away (haven't tried anything else yet). Or do I see the intro only after I create the party? Also no problems with mouse so far.
You can start the intro cinematic from the main menu, before starting the game. To see the monologue at the town screen you need to reset the adventure from the options screen, as the GOG version apparently isn't a fresh install. Then leave the inn with at least one character in your party to trigger the monologue.

I've never played this before, so I had no idea there was supposed to be anything there at all until someone mentioned that GOG hadn't reset the adventure. They didn't do a particularly good job with this one.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope this means the game will be patched a bit further so it will be easier to run on modern OSes. Still not perfect, but at least it's available again and can be found by more people.

This is one seriously underrated dungeon crawler.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Did they fix it yet? The mouse issue makes it near unplayable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom