Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, yeah, but it's a bit different there. You are constantly engaging with both systems and neither one feels forced. The blend they are trying to go for doesn't work for various reasons (at least in Spellforce 1, haven't gotten to the others yet), their mixing is like someone singing while drawing, i.e. it doesn't blend music with painting, it's simply doing them at the same time. Which isn't ideal, but it's workable. Even then, your heroes act as commanders and their powers help in battles, especially their auras. The two parts at least try to interact with each other. While PoE2 and, I presume, Pathfinder's systems are mini-games that aren't as developed as the RPG part and they feel extraneous and pointless. They are gimmicks basically.

Last edited:
can I build rollercoasters in my kingdom?

And ballpits, don't forget the ballpits.
7bPEqMd.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Safe is for casuals though. The real codexer plays game 7 times, after d1p, and rages furiously on developers FARGO DID IT AGAIN etc.

This is the correct way.

I already prepared my rage pills and spare keyboard to throw away.
After the game breaking bug in Bard's tale,i doubt i will be fully ready for mega rage :). Still "Labyrinth of Refrain Coven of Dusk" is a good game that helps me cool off,shame that the writing is better than the gameplay.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
The PnP path was pretty fun, but the kingdom building mechanics were garbage. Speaking of garbage, as far as i recall, you could win at kingdoms by spamming garbage dumps (it might have been graveyards). Imagine you shiny new fantasy barony being a barren wasteland filled to the brim with discarded pigsfeet, broken barrels and leftovers from the ore crisis in Baldurs gate.
Still it was a good exploration path, and i am cautiously looking forward to this.

Cael

Arcane
The PnP path was pretty fun, but the kingdom building mechanics were garbage. Speaking of garbage, as far as i recall, you could win at kingdoms by spamming garbage dumps (it might have been graveyards). Imagine you shiny new fantasy barony being a barren wasteland filled to the brim with discarded pigsfeet, broken barrels and leftovers from the ore crisis in Baldurs gate.
Still it was a good exploration path, and i am cautiously looking forward to this.
Dumpster diving isn't exactly what I would call a "good exploration path", but to each his own...

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Dumpster diving isn't exactly what I would call a "good exploration path", but to each his own...

Like i said: Its an exploration type adventure path with tagged on dumpster fires. The exploration itself was pretty ok.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So did anyone play the beta and can comment on the RTWP elements? What does it look like, is it Tyranny with a huuuuge time to kill and is pretty much garbage tier RTWP, or is it looking good?

Cael

Arcane

Like i said: Its an exploration type adventure path with tagged on dumpster fires. The exploration itself was pretty ok.
*facepalm*

Next time, I'll have to add:

:troll:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So did anyone play the beta and can comment on the RTWP elements? What does it look like, is it Tyranny with a huuuuge time to kill and is pretty much garbage tier RTWP, or is it looking good?

I saw some of Shane’s ponderous pathfinder playthrough—thank you sstacks. Looks like combat moves substantially faster than POE or Tyranny.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron

*facepalm*

Next time, I'll have to add:

Your "quality" of joke merited the response ...

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014

From let's plays it seems like 1 to 1 copy of IE combat.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, but if I wanted a "Real old school Baldurs's Gate successor unlike that Pillars of Eternity gosh darnit", then I would say that my chances of getting quality on that front diminishes when this new studio tries to also deliver a whole kingdom building city sim thingie on top.
Look on the bright side - you get to build a Baldur's Gate. More accurate than the original even.

Dodo1610

Arcane
The game is too difficult for journalists so that's a positive http://www.gameblog.fr/news/78449-pathfinder-kingmaker-nos-impressions-sur-ce-rpg-old-school-p

Google translation
A week ago, we had the opportunity to thoroughly discover the RPG Pathfinder: Kingmaker which was brilliantly Kickstore up to $ 909,000 out of the 500,000 requested. The game presents itself as an old-school RPG that wants to be as close as possible to the paper version in terms of possibility. Let's see what happens and if the promises are kept.

Pathfinder Kingmaker is adapted from the paper role-play Pathfinder Adventure Path whose universe was launched in 2008. And the Owlcat Games studio is far from being the first to ride the wave of the Old School RPG. We will also have in mind the quality works of the studio Obsidian but also and especially the excellentissime Divinity: Original Sin 2 of Larian last year was a real slap in the genre. Where Pathfinder Kinmaker marks its difference is by offering real-time battles with a possible break at any time. We'll come back to this later, but it's probably the biggest problem in the game.

Of an unfathomable depth
Like any good RPG, it is possible to create his character from scratch even if the game still offers some archetypes starting. The least we can say is that Pathfinder is a game that requires investment: 30 minutes is the time we spent in the character creation menu to be able to give birth to our hero. In the end we chose a rogue (a rogue class of character who can move silently and carry fast and powerful shots). Difficult to make an exhaustive list of possibilities as they are numerous: Choice of the portrait, his build, his skills and even his date of birth. Clearly the game is not stingy in possibilities, it is there that one becomes aware of the DNA of the paper role play that Pathfinder carries in him. The game is teeming with details and the most curious can learn more about the universe through a complete encyclopedia on almost every aspect of the game ...

The desire to do well
A gigantic work has been done to give you the impression of playing a paper role play if only by the gargantuan choice of dialogue possibilities. A real good job of writing (and dubbing) was done . From the first hour we already feel the impact of our choices and the moral value that this can have on other characters. A bit like a Star Wars KOTOR , our character leans towards Good or Evil according to the branches we take. Too bad the pure RPG aspect is not supported by a combat system worthy of the name.

Fighting ... to see again
For now (this may have improved later in the game) the fights are rough and the game could have gained clarity with a turn-based system. When you see the successes that are a Tyranny or a Divinity, it is difficult to grasp the choice of a system in real time for an old-school RPG of this type. If this can be useful when you manage 1 or 2 characters, it becomes a real disaster with 4 characters. We do not know who does what, we lose our heroes in the fray, we do not know who already has orders and who should receive (and the "break" does not help).In short, we must get hold of a final version to better realize it but it seems to be a mistake. Because the rough side brings intransigence to the clashes.

Fortunately all this is eclipsed by the richness of the universe that is offered to us . The artistic direction makes its small effect and we browse with pleasure the environments of Stolen Land. The game will also offer a lot of diversity and developers promise between 35 and 80 hours of play, 100 different monsters, 145 different places, etc. A magical and immense world seems to offer itself to you.

WE ARE WAITING FOR IT ... WITH CURIOSITY!
Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a nice surprise. This is clearly not a slap in the genre, but it's still a delightful moment when you're an old-school RPG fan. From a depth unfathomable, the desire to do well on the part of developers to transcribe a real atmosphere of role playing paper is almost palpable. Too bad the fight does not follow and is so messy. If Pathfinder Kingmaker had a turn-based mode, we would have in hand an RPG that could climb directly on the podium of the genre. The title is no less well made and it will have something to delight the players.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Sounds like someone did not find the pause button.

But yeah, compared to modern interpretations of IE games, this one is "D&D" so it's rough - you start with low hp, your characters, even fighters or barbarians like Amiri, can get 1-shot to stuff like x3 battle axe crits, your front line can collapse in moments to spells and all that what I've seen.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sounds like someone did not find the pause button.

But yeah, compared to modern interpretations of IE games, this one is "D&D" so it's rough - you start with low hp, your characters, even fighters or barbarians like Amiri, can get 1-shot to stuff like x3 battle axe crits, your front line can collapse in moments to spells and all that what I've seen.

How many active abilities (buttons to click) do you generally have in this game? On non-spellcaster characters I mean.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom