Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jezal_k23

I just bought it. Ready to be frustrated by hardcore combat. It was either this or BT4 and the choice ended up being fairly obvious.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Is it always raining when you fight those returning bandits? The games talks about using fire arrows and shit but then it just rains heavily and all those tactics goes out of the window.

Azarkon

Arcane
according to D&Dfags, this is a good thing. Armor should do the complete opposite of what you think it would do. That bulky guy in full plate armor? It actually makes him dodge better!

in before asshurt D&Dfags upset that D&D is trash

More like the designers figured there's not enough difference between dodging an attack and having it deflected by armor to create two defense values. So high dexterity and high armor can be modeled with the exact same armor mechanic, while the dodge penalty from wearing heavy armor is just a loss of dexterity bonus. It simplifies the game, and makes it so you don't have to do a potentially complicated mitigation calculation each time you make an attack.

There are disadvantages to having only one value, sure. But there are also advantages, particularly having to do with playing the game on paper.

Also, a common issue with games that do implement defense as dodge + mitigation is that they fuck up the implementation of mitigation very badly, such that you end up having to also implement armor penetration because there's no way to model the fast but precise assassin, otherwise. Dungeons and Dragons doesn't have this problem: the fast and precise assassin can land hits on both warriors wearing plate, as well as other fast and precise assassins, because armor is a single value.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Hi all! About custom portraits. You can prepare three your own portraits with names: Small, Medium and Fulllength. All this images must be saved in PNG format with resolutions:
Small - width: 185px, height: 242px;
Medium - width: 330px, height: 432px;
Fulllength - width: 692px, height: 1024px;

You can use this templates https://imgur.com/a/gtkHk5J

The gameflow looks like:
1. Start New game
2. Choose "Create a new character"
3. Click on icon "Custom portrait".
4. Click on button "Open portraits folder". (It works for Windows and Mac)
5. Replace portraits in opened folder or change it in your graphic redactor.
6. Click "Refresh portraits"
7. Enjoy your own portraits.

Also it works for custom companions.

Please try my 1st attempt. Work on PTS with 1000 px/inch so it's nice and all. And report back so I need to know what to change~

Sentinel

Arcane
Another note: flanking is completely fucking bugged. As long as two characters are attacking the same target, the game considers the target flanked. No consideration is given to threat on opposite side of the target.

<Unknown Binding> is my favorite key
ebakbs.jpeg

that is actually a pretty incline addition to the game, despite the bug

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Owlcat didn't try to reinvent the wheel. They took an existing module from an existing ruleset, which meant they could focus on building a good fucking game instead of needing to invent new rules, a new setting, and a new story. So far, it's a lot better than Pillars.

Thats not hard, not hard at all.
I didnt even bother pirating PoE 2, considering how bad PoE was.

BT4 peaked at around 2000 players, Kingmaker has nearly 13 000 playing it right now.

Yeah, it's massively more successful. The question is whether that's good enough. I have a feeling that BT4 may only have moved about 20-30k copies on launch day, and getting six or seven times that number may still not be enough for a big AA game that wants to make a profit.

You also have Deadfire to look at, which peaked at 18k on launch day but had only reached 200k copies when the Steam leak happened.
I think this game is going to have a long tail with word of mouth and more DLC's... this game is is making me very happy, and actually meeting my fabulously optimistic hopes, which is incredible and has not happened in maybe 15 years or more

Goblino

Savant
Downladding now. I swear this had better be better than Poe and tyranny. I got 20 hours into tyranny, and Poe I didn't even start cuz it felt overloaded and banalshit boring before I even finished character creation. It's weird that knowing it has water thin dialogue is a turn on, what with all the suffocating verbose garbage that gets lapped up by guys who think that ceaseless textwalls = compelling narrative. But one thing's for sure, ruskies know how to make good hard rpg combat and dont afraid of washing out the scrubs. Maybe somebody has finally tried to build on the rtwp system, instead of just plugging increasingly bloated campaigns into already established game mechanics.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Tore retarTuzios scaly head off after he nuked my party 3 times. VietnamDavaeorn mines flashbacks strong. Kobolds and Mites saved and
friendship blooms
And I think it is only possible if you have Neutral alignment/act Neutral
My first backtracking to tavern now, sell shit, clear stuff around, and proceed next for banditos.

If anyone finds out how to disarm trap on chest warg tells you about tell me pls (my only idea was to smash it with my bear, resurrect bear and unlock; but I already used resurrect scroll once)

Also if someone killed mini-Kangaxx there do tell as well

Another note: flanking is completely fucking bugged. As long as two characters are attacking the same target, the game considers the target flanked. No consideration is given to threat on opposite side of the target.
Its working as intended. Even tooltip says so.

Sentinel

Arcane
Quest EXP is fucking pathetic though. Got 45 XP (FORTY FUCKING FIVE EXPERIENCE POINTS) for a side quest.

And one of my party members was just forced into slavery in a random encounter. They took him and ran off. I'm one man down.
What the fuck.

Sentinel

Arcane
Tore retarTuzios scaly head off after he nuked my party 3 times. VietnamDavaeorn mines flashbacks strong. Kobolds and Mites saved and
friendship blooms
And I think it is only possible if you have Neutral alignment/act Neutral
My first backtracking to tavern now, sell shit, clear stuff around, and proceed next for banditos.

Its working as intended. Even tooltip says so.
What tooltip? There's nothing in the in-game cyclopedia & I don't remember any tutorial tooltip on flanking. If it's intended it's even more retarded. It contradicts the rulebook.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Early game very strongly pushes you to be a 20 strength 2H melee beefcake. Every other build you can pick is garbaggio in comparison. You can't rest in the first dungeon and status hit rates are a lot worse than something like early game BG1 so casters get screwed. Rogues with a paltry 1d6 sneak attack and leather armor can't hold their own in lvl 1 combat. The melee companions you get aren't very well built and have a hard time doing their jobs. There's also way more punishing carry weight mechanics than any IE or kickstarter RPG and having mega strength helps a lot with that.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The positioning-flanking was left out during development afaik; one of loading screen tooltips says - you attack with 2 characters = flanking.

Jezal_k23

If I'm reading it correctly, it's an inclince and worth a buy right now?

Depends. The incline seems to be too steep for some people so they come over to complain about difficulty/unfairness. That said I'll judge it for myself soon.

Sentinel

Arcane
The positioning-flanking was left out during development afaik; one of loading screen tooltips says - you attack with 2 characters = flanking.
Why the fuck would they leave that out? It's one of the most important aspects of combat. Are these developers fucking retarded?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom