Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Something needs to be said or a meme created for the current gen of gamers who wouldn't be able to play a rpg like Baldur's Gate.

Too many to quote from Steam, however I saw this on the Obsidian forums
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/104002-pathfinder-kingmaker-is-bigger-then-deadfire/page-15

Playing on Unfair mode, and the party got one shot by the first 3 assassins. Also, you get two casters intead of frontliners as companions, and cannot rest. I just wonder have the Devs there test play the game on Unfair mode themselves.

This is my experience. I don't mind the difficulty spikes so much as the lack of communicating to the player what's going on. I'm also getting a greater appreciation for the Pillars series quality of life changes to the formula (fast walking, no equipment weight, no fatigue mechanic, etc.)

:negative:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is my experience. I don't mind the difficulty spikes so much as the lack of communicating to the player what's going on. I'm also getting a greater appreciation for the Pillars series quality of life changes to the formula (fast walking, no equipment weight, no fatigue mechanic, etc.)
No equipment weight and fatigue are quality of life changes IRL, not in a game, you spoiled zoomers. In the game, they were just features that were dropped, because no one knew how to implement them properly.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
The bonuses enemies have can be simply overriden with some pre-buffing n shit.
It would be hilarious if this was in fact a Brian Mitsoda situation. Josh made the more player-friendly call by removing prebuffing. :cool:

Additionally, it's really funny how Roqua was frothing all over the place talking about how this would be an easy game for children because of a line from an interview, only for it to turn out to be the opposite.

Having played my pirated Pathfinder a lot after work today - I will freely admit it is not a cakewalk with the difficulty settings turned up. But the combat isn't good, the AI is frustrating, and in the fair fights the hardest part is fighting with my characters to get them to do something simple.

Bad combat, plus really questionable encounter design, doesn't equal good. But I have found the game enjoyable. I started on ironman with the highest difficulty and cakewalked all the way up and through the outpost. The first zone after was the berry cave with the spiders and I wiped. I started over with most of the difficulty options. I had to reload a bunch of times on the spiders. I enjoyed that.

The combat seems to be these four options-
1) Shit trash, including a lot of "boss" encounters (70%)
2) Good encounters that require you to think and try (15%), that are hurt by fighting the poor AI and combat implementation
3) Nonsense encounters that make no sense (15%)

For instance, after the spider cave I went to the temple where the gnome guy was, had a decent time with the text adventure skill things after the joke fight in the start, and up the Mite/Goblin war area. I cleared the whole area with no issue/no good encounters. There are three notable ones.

The lonely stalker tree monster thing - impossible. I'm fingering you come back later for it.

The Named Wolf thing - this one could have been fun but I knew I had a winning strategy but I couldn't get my guys to execute. They just don't fucking listen, coupled with nonsense RTwP frustrating implementation. It took me about 10 tries and it should have been fun, but every additional reload filled me with more anger that getting simple directions obeyed is futile. I didn't get lucky in winning. I got lucky in being obeyed finally (with some luck too).

The head thing when you sleep in the camp. Another impossible one. I don't get it? Why would I not want to camp? This would have been perfect for a really tough but doable fight, not a guy with 37 armor and no way to do enough spell damage even if I was fully rested. I have a suspicion that by the time I can beat this skull I will have no need or desire to rest at the camp, making the camp useless.

I did the wolf and just entered and did a couple fights inside the cave. The priest doing aoe damage is pretty good for a trash fight. PoE had much better combat control. This game's RTwP is even more frustrating than the Drakensang game's in trying to get people to do shit. The chardev being decent (but not good, or great since getting skills and some range mechanics, etc hurts it) is hurt by the bad combat, and min-maxing isn't as fun since so far none of the fights I had an issue with or just couldn't possibly win it would help. Consumables helped, and impossible is impossible so min-maxing isn't going to help there either.

I skip the story/reading/listening but there is a lot. I am certain there will be a huge double standard from the retards that slammed TToN for "objectively bad writing" with the writing in this game. I'm not knocking it in this game since I can't write well in my native tongue, and generally don't give a shit nor want my games to be more book/movie than game, but I just know it is going to happen. The rerees can't themselves from being hypocritical monkeys that have zero fundamental understanding of simple shit, like the word game.

So, this would have easily been a crpg worth supporting, but they had to go an ban me for literally no reason on the steam forum, and tons of others. Not for mentioning SWJ shit like they try and create a false narrative of (though they do ban those people like its going out of style), not for attacking anyone or anything, but because I questioned if the game had easy combat. It doesn't. And if they didn't ban me I would have left a positive review. Instead I played for an hour, refunded, left a negative review, and pirated it and am now playing for free. I am anti-pirating. This is the second game I pirated and the first I felt too guilty to actually play it. I am playing this guilt free. Done ban people and lie about why. Don't ban people for legitimate questions. Fucking cocks. The funny thing is it seems it is all their moderators. The Grimoire review, the Steam banning craziness and Stalin authoritarian tactics. Hell, people were worried about Jarl Fred. It isn't he NAZIs tanking games. Its the fucking mods. The devs should fire these fucking Stalin wannabe hacks, or at least rein them the fuck in by at least 95% and publicly reprimand them as a signal for everyone who pirated this as a protest against heavy handed banning of everyone who dare ask a question. As it stands now, crpg or not, me wanting to support the devs or not, I'll never give a company a dime that has community people/moderators as authoritarian as this. Even if they were making ToEE 2.

razvedchiki

Erudite
Are people using optimised builds/parties and get roflstomped or roll with random builds and then cry?
Another good reason to pirate the game is that you can keep this early version of the game before they nerf the difficulty.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Additionally, it's really funny how Roqua was frothing all over the place talking about how this would be an easy game for children because of a line from an interview, only for it to turn out to be the opposite.
Or did it?
Man, I must be doing something wrong, these fights are pretty brutal. I'm only at the difficulty above the default and almost every fight with bandits is just - the barbarian chick dies instantly from full health to two arrows while all the melee bandits simply walk around the stupid failed-paladin-lady, invoking attacks of opportunity that do nothing because she has no offensive power, to murder my bard and sorcerer in one hit on each of them. That's after instantly oneshotting both the dogs I summoned to slow them down.

That's funny. I put it on the same difficulty and did not have any issues or even once need to think or try.

If you had difficulty on any fight up to and through the outpost (which my comments were based on), even on the highest difficulty, you are a baddie and should stick to Toon Town and Pokeman. See me post above for information for normal, non-retarded people and how they will find the combat above.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Are people using optimised builds/parties and get roflstomped or roll with random builds and then cry?
Another good reason to pirate the game is that yiu can keep this early version of the game before they nerf the difficulty.
Most likely the latter. Also, I agree about this benefit of pirating. GOG is good too, at least in the beginning. Later on they replace the 1.0 downloadable version with the current patch downloadable version, and you lose the release build.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
How do you guys got that shield lady to their group O_o Mine left with the other candidate because my paladins "willfullness" ... I even helped other guards before her...

CarlosDanger

Novice
How do you guys got that shield lady to their group O_o Mine left with the other candidate because my paladins "willfullness" ... I even helped other guards before her...

You get her early on in the story. The quest is called "Chasing Your Rival" or something close that. Just be warned she can't hit shit.

Tigranes

Arcane
Another good reason to pirate the game is that yiu can keep this early version of the game before they nerf the difficulty.
Most likely the latter. Also, I agree about this benefit of pirating. GOG is good too, at least in the beginning. Later on they replace the 1.0 downloadable version with the current patch downloadable version, and you lose the release build.

I mean, with RPGs like these, we know that there's a massive difficulty curve: the first playthrough, you struggle because you don't understand the systems yet and your characters tend to waste points into random shit. Then, at some point, you figure out how to optimise, and suddenly your fighting efficiency is doubled.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Um, pretty sure the companions you get at the beginning are based on how you respond to Tartuccio’s accusations:

1. When Lady Aldori asks why you took the weapons, responding politely gets you Valerie (shield lady), while responding pragmatically—we were under attack, I won’t ask for permission to defend myself—gives you the depressive dwarf cleric.

2. When Lady Aldori asks why you rescued the guards rather than rushing to defend her, the good response—how could I leave them to die?—gets you Linzi, while the evil response—I only saved them to improve our odds in the battle—gets you Jaethal (sexy elf-lich).

3. You get Amiri no matter what.

Codex Year of the Donut

Um, pretty sure the companions you get at the beginning are based on how you respond to Tartuccio’s accusations:

1. When Lady Aldori asks why you took the weapons, responding politely gets you Valerie (shield lady), while responding pragmatically—we were under attack, I won’t ask for permission to defend myself—gives you the depressive dwarf cleric.

2. When Lady Aldori asks why you rescued the guards rather than rushing to defend her, the good response—how could I leave them to die?—gets you Linzi, while the evil response—I only saved them to improve our odds in the battle—gets you Jaethal (sexy elf-lich).

if you never put the ring on you can deflect the accusations
:smug:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not used to the pathfinder rules, but how is a mature leopard more vicious and dangerous than a magical weretiger? The weretiger fight was hard, but fun, the leopard just wtfpwns my whole team in two seconds.

Valerie, the shield lady, leaves you if you chose a chaotic option when answering the Swordlord why had have raided her armory. Elf inquisitor, wasshername, the undead one with a scythe, leaves if you chose a good option when reasoning why you saved the guards from fire. If I understood correctly, then probably Harrim will leave you if you chose a lawful response. Don't know about evil response, because the only good aligned party member is that halfling bard, Linzi, and I doubt that she will leave.

Trash Player

Scholar
I expect lategame would be a cakewalk, the classical Russian difficulty cannot survive the late game trivialities.
Before that, this looks like a buy even I am not a fan or RtwP.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
They just don't fucking listen, coupled with nonsense RTwP frustrating implementation. It took me about 10 tries and it should have been fun, but every additional reload filled me with more anger that getting simple directions obeyed is futile. I didn't get lucky in winning. I got lucky in being obeyed finally (with some luck too).

I haven't had that problem, just turn the AI off entirely if they start acting retarded on their own. I've noticed that the AI is actually relatively sane and doesn't walk into AoE fields like webs by itself for example. Can you post the build for your MC?

Ruchy

Scholar
Will be starting this tonight, hoping I can adjust the difficulty to near on "core" rules. Is this possible or should I wait for the inevitable patch?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Will be starting this tonight, hoping I can adjust the difficulty to near on "core" rules. Is this possible or should I wait for the inevitable patch?

It's easily done but requires you to use custom difficulty settings for whatever reason. "Normal" actually makes enemies slightly weaker.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

if you never put the ring on you can deflect the accusations
:smug:

Or you can just drop the ring before talking to her, but you still need to answer the other two accusations and in the process choose two of your three starting companions.

Stainless Veteran you can absolutely lose Linzi in that conversation (at least for a while). It’s her or Jaethal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom