Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Easter Eggs in games

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Games like Fallout 2 have many easter eggs and jokes but my favourite easter egg is in Ultima 7: The Black Gate.

The inhabitants of the town Serpent Hold are based on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

We have:

JohnPaul.gif
JPil.gif

Captain Jean-Luc Picard as Lord John Paul, ruler of Serpent's Hold.

Richter.gif

Riker is Sir Richter, the armourer and second-in-command of Serpent's Hold. He is in a relationship with Lady Tory.

ToryU7.PNG

Counselor Troi is Lady Tory, a druid with psychic empathy.

latest

Worf is Sir Horffe Captain of the guard in Serpent's Hold. Worf is a Klingon raised by humans, Horffe is a Gargoyle raised by human.

Dr Beverly Crusher is Lady Leigh, the healer.

latest

Geordi is Sir Jordan the tinker who is blind and runs the local branch of Iolo's Bow.

latest

Data is Sir Denton the tavernkeeper. He likes wearing armour and has difficulty with emotions, social interactions and talks like an android.
The tavern is called The Hallowed Dock, a reference to the Holodeck.

dmazd0dwsaalzwo.jpg

The other big reference is Electronic Arts(EA); The founders of The Fellowship are Elizabeth & Abraham (EA), the three Guardian generators (a cube, sphere, and tetrahedron) reference EA's old logo.
You can read more about it here:
https://casualaggro.wordpress.com/2...reference-to-how-terrible-electronic-arts-is/

u7batlinelron.jpg

The Fellowship & Scientology. Batlin even looks like Hubbard.
http://www.oocities.org/hoki_dragon/u7-scientology.html

What other easter eggs impressed you?

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
latest

OJ

latest

Stephen Fry

Roshambo.gif

Roshambo

343full.jpg

OJ again

tumblr_o1egp86a1I1uz9s3fo1_640.jpg

Caleb and Doomguy make gruesome discoveries

latest

latest

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ooh, this is a fun topic. Easter Eggs were a big thing in computer games of the 1990s (and most games released by Sierra On-Line) so that's where most people go look for them.

Instead of naming all of them (yeah, right!) I'm just gonna name a couple of favorites of mine.

Like the Dopefish.

The Dopefish started life as a big enemy in Commander Keen 5: Goodbye Galaxy!, as can be seen here:

hqdefault.jpg

Described as "the Universe's second-dumbest animal" his thought pattern pretty much boils down to "Swim, swim, hungry". Somehow Dopefish managed to survive his game and branch out into other games as an insider joke, much like how Sam & Max snuck into almost every LucasArts game during the 1990s (which is another Easter Egg all of its own). Dopefish (or at least a reference to him) can be found in games such as Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Wacky Wheels, Daikatana and even Jazz Jackrabbit.

He even has his own homepage where you can read all about him.

So yeah - Dopefish lives.

One of the biggest reasons some of us older gamers still cling on to Civilization 2 is because of the Advisors - five people that each represents an aspect of your empire. One of the advisors (the 'People's Advisor', if you will) is actually Elvis Presley... or an actor making a decent Elvis impersonation. This gets more and more noticable as the game approaches modern times.

The free SHMUP Tyrian has a ton of well-hidden Easter Eggs, like secret ships (fancy flying a carrot?) secret levels and even hidden game modes that have little to do with the game itself.

But the one Easter Egg that always makes me smile can be found in a Fan Mission for Thief, the running serf. You can see him (along with a few others) in the video below, at around the 0:30 mark.

Generic-Giant-Spider

"To win the game you must kill me, John Romero."

I know the topic specifies games, but this is a blast from the past for you Excel 95ers:

hall-of-tortured-souls-4.gif

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The characters from Call of Chtulhu: Shadow of the Comet are taken from various actors, like Vincent Price, Robert Mitchum, Jack Nicholson, etc.

411-call-of-cthulhu-shadow-of-the-comet-dos-screenshot-doctor-cobble.gif

389578_orig.png

426-call-of-cthulhu-shadow-of-the-comet-dos-screenshot-nathan-tyler.gif

deuxhero

Arcane
In Second Sight there's a length, fully voiced, conversation if you backtrack in the first level with the guards in tow, run back to your cell, lure them in and shut them in. Found it by accident while trying to beat the first level without killing anyone (as the main character comments when he kills someone)

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Vice City had a room behind a invisible wall that had a literal easter egg in it.
There was also a room with a reference to Scarface.

In GTA IV you could climb inside the Statue of Happiness, inside it is a beating heart.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom