Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age dialogue video

denizsi

Arcane
My fascination with DbtS has only lasted half an hour. It's way overrated imo. Attacks were too haphazard and the game being based on the same simplistic mechanic got old really fast.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Well I can't say that I found anything to really complain about in that footage. What we see is a bit tired, true, but it's also only a couple of minutes of cinematic.

I also liked the piece of music that ran over the battle sequence. It added a good deal of energy to the sequence and seems to suit the setting well enough, which is a nice change of pace after the last couple of Bioware game scores.

The Dude

Liturgist
Volourn said:
AMAZING FACTS: The 'orcs' look different than orcs because they aren't orcs. Tool. OMGZ Non orcs don't like orcs. WOWSERZ!

An orc is an orc is an orc dear volleyball. If it eventually becomes apparent that the purpose, history and disposition of the "orcs" of DA is substantially different than standard fare fantasy orcs I'll agree with you. In the meantime, YOU FAIL! Lollerskates!

MasPingon

Arcane
This ain't looking good, it's like a cookie high fantasy world from Lotr. Another "game for everyone" from bioware, what a shame

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"An orc is an orc is an orc dear volleyball."

Not an orc is not an orc is not an orc dear dudeyball.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
If it doens't look like an orc, if it doens't smell like an orc, if bit doesn't taste like an orc, it's not an orc.

ushdugery

Scholar
elander_ said:
Jaime Lannister said:
Dragon Age was supposed to be focused on political intrigue, according to Gaider. Lord of the Rings was focused on defeating an ancient evil, and apparently so is DA: Origins.

You meen political intrigue as in a king that betrays his people by a shady agreement with a wizard? Yes Lord of the Rings has it and much more.

It's looks obvious that in that short video they are trying to show a bit of political intrigue too.
There's not really much intrigue featured though it's a clearly presented footnote at the start of three moderately sized novels and calling it out as political subterfuge is a bit disingenuous.

Xard

Novice
hmm, gameplay looks good. But WTF is up with those shoulder pads? Faces are ok but the eyes... they're really weird, staring at ceiling and rolling their eyes while being in serious conv

I also "love" to see Bio's Three Responses rule hasn't faltered.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
The armor is a bit over the top, but otherwise it looks pretty awesome for a fantasy rpg to me. I definitely appreciate quality, but I hold video games to a different standard than I do most other media. It's about being original within the medium to me. If you can take a bit of old stuff(neat stuff to boot) and mix with with originality and make it entertaining, I'm good with that. I don't need every game I play to be a China Mieville novel, it can get away with being well done pulp.

Things that you've seen a thousand times in movies can be a blast to play through in games, it's all about appropriate use of what you borrow.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
The title of the article cracks me up.

"Dragon Age: Origins Footage Features Intense Old-school Discussion"

So I guess discussion is old-school now? As opposed to like, killing or something?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Mass Effect is new school?
Apart from graphics and taking cover behind boxes everything else is on the level of early 90s

gothfox

Liturgist
On an unrelated note, after playing MGS4 I can't stop but giggle while watching what goes for "cinematic" cutscenes in BioWare world.

Skald

Novice
I'll probably buy the game and enjoy it for what it'll be - a "summer blockbuster" if you will.
Meaning an equivalent of a competent and fairly engaing action movie.

It's just a shame that by the movie industry standards, Bioware (and most other game developers for that matter) churns action flicks with no depth.

But I guess we'll have to wait for the game industry to reach a level when it won't be mainly focused on mindless entertainment. After all, cinemas offer blockbusters, art and indie movies across various genres (well, it's an oversimplification of course). We're rarely offered such choice when it comes to game. But it took some time before a movie was considered an art form, so I guess we just have to wait.

Mareus

Magister
I really don't care about the graphic stuff. It looks way better than NWN2 and many other games of similar setting, so I don't see a reason to complain about it. Dialogs are ok, quite Biowareish and I expected that, although I am hoping for a bit more choices and consequences than in their previous titles. The story will hopefully turn out into something better than just fighting the blight, and this is Bioware so I am expecting some twists and turns, but I hope they will be less cliche than usual. Basically there is nothing to complain about, except the battles which look to me more like NWN2 than BG. From what was promised, the battles are quite a disappointment. But I guess that is what happens when you give up 2D for 3D crap. Battles in BG looked much more intense, tactical, realistic and they were more dynamic. DA battles look exactly the same as NWN2 battles, so I don't like that part. You don't see your characters blocking enemy attacks with their swords, you don't see dodging, you don't see them turning the tables to hide behind them like it was promised, and AI seems exactly the same as in NWN2 (charge mindlessly to the enemy). Your swords feel like they go straight through the enemy even upon a hit,... and I am afraid it is already too late to fix these things, so this will most surely fail in comparison with BG. Still I am hoping it will be better than NWN2 and therefore it will be worth buying.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Skald said:
But it took some time before a movie was considered an art form, so I guess we just have to wait.
Bah, let's just go shove Planescape up Ebert's ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom