Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
LH7l2Hb.png
Is this Photoshop or a joke?:lol:

paint.net :martini:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
This is why, despite any flaws KM has (and, it has them), this game is pretty damn good. It simply gets it.

Yes, it's the most similar experience to BG since... BG.

But there a few things that are different (disclaimer: I just killed the Stag Lord):

1 - Item description/story, as already said lot of +1 weapons/armors in BG had a lenghty immersive description; those little things really helped feeling rewarded with your loot, Varscona vs Generic Sword+2...including you know, things like buying beers in taverns and getting news (which was useless but still a nice touch).
2 - I miss pickpocket/steal from merchants... I am sure there could have been way to stop the abuse and keep some freedom.
3 - Despite the retardness and cartony feeling of Pathfinder and Golarion... it seems PF:K has a much serious tone than BG. Which is both a good thing and a bad thing.
4 - Portraits are simply bad quality. Why can't just they take real pictures and paint on them like they did in BG1?

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Good grief, the absolute cunt on PC Gamer who gave BT4 an 84 now rated PF:KM a 69.

Judging by the content of both reviews, PC Gamer's balding cucks hadn't played either game but Fargo didn't forget to send a paycheck along with the review code.
The question here is how did they rate poe.
92 lmfao

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Like I said before release:

It's a problem that that many games that are perceived as "low-rent clones" suffer from. The gaming journalists think they're boring and unimportant. That means not only less pre-release coverage, but also a risk of getting edgier reviews post-release.

"Is this a game that I consider important, prestigious or groundbreaking? No? Then I'm not even going to bother to think about it hard enough to consider giving it more than a 7/10." Many such cases!

I remember reading the PS:T review in the most prestigious local newspaper of the time (yeah there was no internet).
It was half a page, when usually big games had 2 or more pages, and it just got 84/100. At the time anything under 90 was shit, or barely shit. Obviously the reviewer never played it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Good grief, the absolute cunt on PC Gamer who gave BT4 an 84 now rated PF:KM a 69.

Judging by the content of both reviews, PC Gamer's balding cucks hadn't played either game but Fargo didn't forget to send a paycheck along with the review code.
The question here is how did they rate poe.
92 lmfao
Those retards just look if the game have some hype and then overhype it. If the game doesn't then they just give it the good old 7/10. They don't even play the game. Kingmaker is around 80 hours from what i see,you have to be dedicated RPG journo to manage to finish it.

Generic-Giant-Spider

DnD Alignments and dialogs never worked perfectly in CRPGs.
There's too much room left for subjective interpretations of what fits and what doesn't.

I don't know, the amount of times I've seen evenings of PnPing break down into an hour long debate on what Chaotic Neutral is are far too many to count. I have two rules in my basement apartment: you're not Chaotic Neutral and you're never being a Malkavian.

Shadenuat

Arcane
PK sometimes shines with alignment and sometimes fails. Like when pushing you to good/evil for no reason, for example when you save some of yours from goblins, it's either LG: save CE: don't.

Not just LGs save peasants from goblins, CG & NG would do it, and even LN would obviously do it because they are their subjects. Heck, at that point, you're a baron and they are your subjects and your main quest is to save your barony and its people, so saving peasants from goblins has nothing to do with morality at all - you're fulfilling your obligations/quest objective.

But when it works it works, and it is obvious that by design they poured all writing resource to support one, single system, leaving races/classes on the road but doing with just one system as much as possible instead, C&C and such, which I find commendable and a reasonable design decision.

Last edited:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Also the locations are usually small, excluded some area like Sycamore... I guess they did it because of Unity. Imagine the loading times if each area was big like in BG1.

Seriously, is Unity the only way to make isometric rpgs?

Also the locations are usually small, excluded some area like Sycamore... I guess they did it because of Unity. Imagine the loading times if each area was big like in BG1.

Seriously, is Unity the only way to make isometric rpgs?
not the only one but definitely the cheapest.

RegionalHobo

Scholar
so , after years of lurking, i'll have to do my first post here too. the reason being being this is one of the few recent games that captured the '' magic '' of the classics for me and the bad reviews, both profissional and by the players left such a bad taste.

i think that the reason the review failure happened, was a design problem thou. retards still have egos and as such the difficult levels names should've been changed. If story mode was easy, easy was normal, challenging was hard, and the other difficulties had names like insane or something i think people would review the game in a much better light.

those players that review the game badly because '' i get one shot in normal !!11'' just don t want the ego hit of playing on easy but also don t want to take the time and learn the basics of the system of just buffing and debuffing. it s a generation of players that grow used to the most trivial dopamine hits from games with pathetic default challenge.

then there are the p/p players that wanted a 1-1 core rules adaptation. this i can understand but do the realise with the itens that we have on the shops the overall difficulty would be really, REALLY low with default monster stats? i mean we can buy + 2 belts as early as chapter one.

i'm happy that at the very least this place appreciates the game, just like with AoD ( thou aod seems to be less a unanimity here than kingmaker it seems ). it s really something else when you see the worst bioware vomits ( andromeda, da 2 ) with better scores than this

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not just LGs save peasants from goblins, CG & NG would do it, and even LN would obviously do it because they are their subjects. Heck, at that point, you're a baron and they are your subjects and your main quest is to save your barony and its people, so saving peasants from goblins has nothing to do with morality at all - you're fulfilling your obligations/quest objective.

The above may not necessarily be good (although I'd argue it is), but doing anything in order to fulfill your obligations is practically the definition of lawful.

Shadenuat

Arcane

The above may not necessarily be good (although I'd argue it is), but doing anything in order to fulfill your obligations is practically the definition of lawful.
Well what else do you do, sit on your ass and wait your barony die and get game over?
Way to miss the point dude.

There is either a cutscene or basically no other options, can't even close dialogue screen - either LG or CE.

doing anything in order to fulfill your obligations is practically the definition of lawful
also this is not correct and not black and white.
druids for example fulfill their obligations to High Druid/whatever and they are TN. That is their *job*. Just like your job in this game is to rule.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
so , after years of lurking, i'll have to do my first post here too. the reason being being this is one of the few recent games that captured the '' magic '' of the classics for me and the bad reviews, both profissional and by the players left such a bad taste.

i think that the reason the review failure happened, was a design problem thou. retards still have egos and as such the difficult levels names should've been changed. If story mode was easy, easy was normal, challenging was hard, and the other difficulties had names like insane or something i think people would review the game in a much better light.

those players that review the game badly because '' i get one shot in normal !!11'' just don t want the ego hit of playing on easy but also don t want to take the time and learn the basics of the system of just buffing and debuffing. it s a generation of players that grow used to the most trivial dopamine hits from games with pathetic default challenge.

then there are the p/p players that wanted a 1-1 core rules adaptation. this i can understand but do the realise with the itens that we have on the shops the overall difficulty would be really, REALLY low with default monster stats? i mean we can buy + 2 belts as early as chapter one.

i'm happy that at the very least this place appreciates the game, just like with AoD ( thou aod seems to be less a unanimity here than kingmaker it seems ). it s really something else when you see the worst bioware vomits ( andromeda, da 2 ) with better scores than this
Welcome in, dont drop the soap.

Generic-Giant-Spider

PC Gamer review:

The writing in the game is, in general, solid and full of character, but a little flat compared to the beautifully rich, evocative prose seen in genre mates such as Pillars or Torment—which are, admittedly, hard acts for any RPG developer to follow.

Codex Year of the Donut
Exactly where do I start looking for the quest "The Lost Brother"?

I went all around my capital, checked Varnhold, none of the areas inbetween have any updated notification. Is this just a quest I hold onto for a while?

Mortmal

Arcane
Exactly where do I start looking for the quest "The Lost Brother"?

I went all around my capital, checked Varnhold, none of the areas inbetween have any updated notification. Is this just a quest I hold onto for a while?
You need a very nasty event happening in varnhold first.Then you will be able to explore the area fully.

Yosharian

Arcane
Is anyone near the end of the game yet? I'm wondering what the best weapons in the game are

Or can you just craft whatever weapons you want and they'll be as good as anything you can find lategame?

Mortmal

Arcane
Is anyone near the end of the game yet? I'm wondering what the best weapons in the game are

Or can you just craft whatever weapons you want and they'll be as good as anything you can find lategame?
Act4 best thing i found was a Greatsword +5, i just found it in my backpack and though WTF!? , i dont even remmber what dropped it....Else weapons dont go beyond +2 most of the time , but some are banes or very nice spell on touch like confusion.

Thonius

Arcane

What do you mean best? For crit damage? For range damage?
I say claws and bite!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom