Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Thonius

Arcane
Any spontaneous caster in 3.5 is bad for metamagic because it turns all your instant casting battle spells to full action casting. That means you can't do anything else other than 5ft steps. The extended casting time means that you can't use it with Quicken, of course (or rather, from a certain point of view, they cancel each other out, so you just dumped 4 extra spell levels on a spell for no reason).
They fixed Quicken in Pathfinder then, it works normally like you would have expect. Other feats are a problem, though Arcane bloodline offers some ways around it. Not sure if it is the same way in the game. I doubt it, as you said no one bothered to put that whole thing in games so far.
They BROKE Quicken you mean. Quicken was supposed to not work with spontaneous casting and for a bloody good reason. It is outright stated in the PHB and SRD that you cannot use it with spontaneous casting:

Quicken Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit
Casting a quickened spell is an swift action. You can perform another action, even casting another spell, in the same round as you cast a quickened spell. You may cast only one quickened spell per round. A spell whose casting time is more than 1 full round action cannot be quickened. A quickened spell uses up a spell slot four levels higher than the spell’s actual level. Casting a quickened spell doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity.

Special
This feat can’t be applied to any spell cast spontaneously (including sorcerer spells, bard spells, and cleric or druid spells cast spontaneously), since applying a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell automatically increases the casting time to a full-round action.
What the hell dude Quicked is in Draconic Bloodline how it's supposed to be restricted to Sorc's?

L'Montes

Educated
she flat out tells you she has no interest in sexual relations
There was a missed opportunity here for Owlcat to write the first explicitly asexual romance in a RPG.

Bioware would never let such a chance slip by! :lol:
Not necessarily the first. Gaider has outright said he thinks the idea of a dwarf romance makes him uncomfortable, which is why DA never had one.
There's even a dwarf female that flirts with you in DAI, but it leads to nothing.
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Lace_Harding
You played DAI? You heretic! BURN!!!

:timetoburn::killitwithfire::timetoburn::killitwithfire::killitwithfire::killitwithfire::timetoburn::timetoburn:

The DLC where you go underground with the dwarfs was top-notch IMO. Shame it's attached to such a shit game.

Lace shares a voice actor with Liara from Mass Effect. I assumed the weird "not exactly a romance" or can't-be-romanced business with her was a nod towards the fact that she was the default romance that was nearly impossible to fail if you killed the other people or didn't talk to people in-game previously.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Steam should forbid negative reviews such as these.
If you keep coming back and play something for 73 hours and then give it a bad review, you're a fan but don't realize it.

gaaPTgg.png
73.6 hours in a week
spent nearly every hour awake for the past week playing the game
Same as me mate ;). I spend nearly 100 hours on that game. Fucking glorious grognard incline :). Shame about all the sjw retarded writing...

Mech

Cipher
So anyone on here notice that the hotfix to the broken hotfix is also broken?
I haven't tried it yet but reports on the Steam forums seem to indicate issues.

Yosharian

Arcane
Not to disrupt the discussion on sim-dating, but some of us are playing the game to slay monsters. How do you use the half-orc guy? (in combat, if that wasn't clear) I'm not familiar with the magus class at all, I'm sort of guessing it's about spell touch attacks? :?

Any tips on how to set up his attacks, which spells to take and and how to level up would be greatly appreciated.
Focus on touch attacks, yes. Shocking grasp is pretty much the bread and butter of the class. How this works (in PnP at least) is that magus gets Spellcombat (cast spells while making full attacks) and Spellstrike (deliver touch spells by hitting things with your weapon). Combine the two and you get an extra attack that also delivers the spell damage and can cause massive damage on crit, multiplying not only the weapon damage, but doubling the spell damage as well. You just need a one handed weapon with good critical range to make most of it. Enchanting weapons on the fly or other abilities are just gravy.

In game it plays a little more awkward, but it still works out more or less the same. One tip - set the Touch of fatigue cantrip to autocast. That way you should get that extra attack even if you have no other touch spells to cast. They are made at -2 penalty, but two attacks at -2 are better than one without.
Setting Touch of Fatigue on autocast is a great idea, I hadn't thought about that. I did observe, however, that sometimes, Spellcombat doesn't seem to work, and he makes a regular touch attack, and I also observed the -2 penalty not always being applied.

Anyone else noticed that? It's really quite an oversight that you can't cast the touch spells without targeting an enemy. It would make a lot more sense for a Magus, and allow you to "pre-buff" in preparing a spellstrike touch attack
I've been reading something about Metamagic and the Eldritch Scion in PnP, apparently the Scion isn't as good as the Magus for using Metamagic? But I don't understand why, and I don't know if the game follows PnP in this regard or if Metamagic is OK with the Scion in this game. Any ideas?
That's actually a good question. If it's like in 3.5, using metamagic with spontaneous casting increases the cast time, which means that an Eldricht Scion would not be able to combine it with his cast-and-fight mechanics, but I'm not sure if the game actually employs that mechanic. My gut says "no", because that limitation is both dumb and could be annoying to implement (separating on vancian and spontaneous casting on a meta-level for rules), but I honestly don't know.

It's easy enough to check, if someone has a Sorcerer or Bard with metamagic. Is casting time increased compared to a Wizard or vanilla Magus with metamagic?
Any spontaneous caster in 3.5 is bad for metamagic because it turns all your instant casting battle spells to full action casting. That means you can't do anything else other than 5ft steps. The extended casting time means that you can't use it with Quicken, of course (or rather, from a certain point of view, they cancel each other out, so you just dumped 4 extra spell levels on a spell for no reason). That said, used at the correct time, a spontaneous caster with metamagic can be extremely deadly, far more so than a wizard who generally won't even have it prepared. Note that this restriction actually carries over to any spontaneous casting including cleric cure/imflict spells and druid SNA spells.

Certain things do allow you to use a form of metamagic with spontaneous casters without that drawback. The Ordained Champion (automatic Quicken for spells on the War doman list) and Abjurant Champion (automatic Quicken for all Abjuration spells up to half your AC level rounded up) are two notable examples. The Epic feats Automatic <<insert any metamagic here>> bypasses that restriction completely also.

No DnD cRPG has ever implemented this rule, by the way. NWN just plain allows you to blow shit up twice as fast with a Sorcerer orgying on the Quicken Spell feat.

Yeah I seem to remember using a Sorc with metamagic in the NWN2 series and just owning it up because you could just meta any spell in any way you chose at any given time without thought to preparation.

Anyway, I would check myself but I don't want to begin playing the game yet and the tutorial level doesn't allow resting.

L'Montes

Educated
So anyone on here notice that the hotfix to the broken hotfix is also broken?
I haven't tried it yet but reports on the Steam forums seem to indicate issues.

I was reading some of that...

"Did they just give everyone an extra Amiri to try and fix a bug?" - I found that the most amusing, though there seems to be more complaints about text errors and some other stuff cropping up.

It makes me a bit uncaring about the fact that several of my companion quests aren't triggering correctly in my game. I figure if the game isn't crashing and the mechanics are basically working, I can finish the game. It'll probably be awhile before all the quest triggers and scripting work properly.

Yosharian

Arcane
You get to bone not one but two status hunters in the dwarven noble prologue alone.

Oh, right, that's dwarf/dwarf though.

You also get to bone both Leiliana and Morrigan as a dwarf...

His problem would be a non-dwarf PC pursuing a dwarf.

Edit:
CuGGlQwWIAAMB2C.jpg:orig

Looks like Dave's not a bear fan, unlike Tim.

There's even a dwarf female that flirts with you in DAI, but it leads to nothing.

Oh yeah. In Trespasser they claim it turns into a relationship if you didn't pursue anyone else and of course that's a post-Gaider DLC. :M
Gaider will happy fuck other men in the ass, but an imaginary sexual relationship with a female dwarf? EWWWW

Just burn this world and start over

Vatnik Wumao
You get to bone not one but two status hunters in the dwarven noble prologue alone.

Oh, right, that's dwarf/dwarf though.

You also get to bone both Leiliana and Morrigan as a dwarf...

His problem would be a non-dwarf PC pursuing a dwarf.

Edit:
CuGGlQwWIAAMB2C.jpg:orig

Looks like Dave's not a bear fan, unlike Tim.

Oh yeah. In Trespasser they claim it turns into a relationship if you didn't pursue anyone else and of course that's a post-Gaider DLC. :M
Gaider will happy fuck other men in the ass, but an imaginary sexual relationship with a female dwarf? EWWWW

Just burn this world and start over
Better burn him instead.))

Yosharian

Arcane
There was a missed opportunity here for Owlcat to write the first explicitly asexual romance in a RPG.

Not necessarily the first. Gaider has outright said he thinks the idea of a dwarf romance makes him uncomfortable, which is why DA never had one.
I remember this, virtually the only cute* female character in the game and you can't romance her, that's DA:I in a nutshell

* I mean, relatively speaking. All the women in this game look like men, so it's not really saying much.

Mortmal

Arcane
Drowed, 7 acts in the game , i am only at act 4 and 70 hours played. I am not fabulously optimistic, this game beats baldur's gate 2 on every aspects and add more stuff to the genre.Only drawbacks are bugs, wich will be fixed.

Cael

Arcane

I remember this, virtually the only cute* female character in the game and you can't romance her, that's DA:I in a nutshell

* I mean, relatively speaking. All the women in this game look like men, so it's not really saying much.
Sigourn was pretty cute. As in adorable. Of course, she was in the only DA that mattered :P

Generic-Giant-Spider

All those twitch and youtube retards should find real work and stop polluting the minds of young people!

You know what Fantadomat, between this and your shared interest in necrophilia with Jaethal, I don't think you're that bad and I don't care what they say.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
What level are you at confronting him? I *just* got to him before work this morning and got my entire party wiped out in seconds flat.

i got into an impossible situation.
exploring locations i was supposed to explore (it was in the journal after all), my party suffered some serious level drainage. tooltip said "expiring in 23 hours 59 minutes". alright, fine. but it didn't. it's permanent. clerics in the capital don't sell greater restoration, skipping days in the throne room doesn't even heal from death's door, as is i can't win this fight with spiders which would give me some breathing room.

it's all pretty stupid if you ask me.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
All those twitch and youtube retards should find real work and stop polluting the minds of young people!

You know what Fantadomat, between this and your shared interest in necrophilia with Jaethal, I don't think you're that bad and I don't care what they say.
:lol:
Didn't even knew that people are saying shit about me. Meh the opinion of the rabble doesn't really concerns me tho :).

Also i like your post too mate ;).

Cael

Arcane
i got into an impossible situation.
exploring locations i was supposed to explore (it was in the journal after all), my party suffered some serious level drainage. tooltip said "expiring in 23 hours 59 minutes". alright, fine. but it didn't. it's permanent. clerics in the capital don't sell greater restoration, skipping days in the throne room doesn't even heal from death's door, as is i can't win this fight with spiders which would give me some breathing room.

it's all pretty stupid if you ask me.
Permanent negative levels can't be healed by resting. These are usually from the likes of vampires, spectres, succubi, etc.

You need Restoration to get rid of them. If you don't have a cleric who can cast that (spell level 4) or if you don't have the diamond dust for it, you are boned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom