Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2018/09/announcing-adom-330-as-steam-beta.html

Tuesday, September 18, 2018
Announcing ADOM 3.3.0 as a Steam Beta

Hi everyone!

After a long pause we are proud to announce ADOM 3.3.0 as a Steam Beta version (initially). To activate the beta (and switch back later to the stable branch read these instructions).

The biggest change in ADOM 3.3.0 is a major addition to the play comfort:

The graphical version now sports floating texts that indicating important events in the game. There's a multitude of things getting reported:

• damage suffered
  • hitpoints recovered
  • critical hits
  • state changes (e.g. becoming poisoned, stunned, hungry, confused, Strength of Atlas waning and so on)
  • indicators for items on the ground
  • and more.
IMHO this is a huge UI improvement because in the graphical version the texts in the message buffer become less and less important and you can focus on the PC and the immediate environment. To me this single change completely alters the way I interact with ADOM in the graphical mode and I fell in love with it from the very first moment. In retrospective I feel sorry for not having added this much sooner.

Another (far minor) change is another round of buffing the boss monsters. We still are trying to find the right middle ground for them. Let us know what you think about the latest change.

Additionally ADOM 3.3.0 features dozens of bug fixes and minor improvements and enhancements. You can find the full changelog here. There are some important bugfixes related to multi-turn actions and finally the Volcano quest / interaction with Rolf always should work as intended (sadly that bug corrupted older save files and you only will be able to fully enjoy the quest with new games).

Please try out the Steam beta and test it intensely as we'd love to do a full Steam release very soon as well as a general public release. And then there is something called GOG that is looming on the horizont ;-)

Axes high!
Thomas & Team ADOM

index.php

Arcane
https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/

Brogue 1.7.5 Released
  • New content:
    • Added a new key room.
  • Gameplay changes:
    • Overhauled the searching system to eliminate unpleasant “search-walking.” Searching now requires five turns in a row, and when completed, will reveal all traps and secret doors in visible tiles up to 10 spaces away and some such secrets up to 20 spaces away. Like auto-resting, searching is interrupted by certain events, but can be resumed without penalty. Monsters can notice you from twice as far away during searching. Automatic searching that occurs with each turn (including when enhanced by the Ring of Awareness) will occur only once per location, so lingering on a space will not reveal additional secrets.
    • Allies and wands of empowerment are much less common, and powerful allies (ogres, trolls and naga) appear on deeper depths.
    • Maces and hammers knock your opponent backward one space when they hit, as do ogres and monsters with the juggernaut mutation.
    • Spears and war pikes will attack from two spaces away.
    • Allies will try to stay within four spaces of you except when you’re resting or searching, and they won’t try to flee out of combat with faster enemies.
    • Wands of empowerment provide less of a boost to creatures’ health, defense, damage and accuracy, but creatures that regenerate at all will regenerate faster (to a limit of 1 health per two turns).
    • Hunting monsters have a 3% chance to lose track of you for each turn they spend outside of your stealth range.
    • Added some monster classes (used by armor of immunity and weapons of slaying), and completed some classes that were missing some thematically appropriate monsters.
    • Captors won’t attack captive golems, nor will poisonous captors attack their captives.
    • Phoenix eggs are immune to weapons.
    • Lumenstones will stack with other lumenstones from the same depth without taking inventory space.
    • Aggravate Monster scrolls and alarm traps will cause affected enemies to rush the player, even if they normally maintain distance or avoid corridors.
    • “Pure mage” feat is not failed by attacking a monster that you can’t see (e.g. a phantom or a submerged eel, unless you are telepathic).
  • Interface changes:
    • Auto-rest is interrupted if harmful or obstructive terrain appears or disappears in any of the four spaces next to the player. For example, the auto-rest command can be used to wait until adjacent fire extinguishes, or adjacent gas dissipates, or adjacent obstruction crystals dissolve.
    • Items will keep the same inventory letter when picked up a second time, unless the letter has been taken.
    • Lumenstones stack only with other lumenstones from the same depth.
    • Confirmation is required before voluntarily entering paralysis or confusion gas.
    • Charms of shattering describe their radius.
    • Staffs whose max charges but not current charges have been identified will describe their recharge rate.
  • Bugfixes:
    • Converted all floating point math that can substantively affect gameplay into fixed point to increase portability of saved games and recordings between platforms.
    • Fixed a bug that prevented monsters and allies from casting discord unless the target would also have been a valid negation target.
    • Fixed inaccuracy in the description of transference rings.
    • Fixed a longstanding bug that would rarely cause items to generate inside of walls.
    • Fixed a bug that unsettlingly caused resurrected allies to keep burning if they were burning when they died.
    • Fixed a bug that allowed a seizing monster (krakens or bog monsters) to maintain their grip around a corner that obstructed melee attacks.
    • Fixed a bug that caused allies in the grip of a seizing monster to stop attacking and give up when the player was more than 11 spaces away.
    • Fixed a bug that permitted monsters to be polymorphed into phoenixes (which would not drop eggs when they died) or mangrove dryads (which would be unable to attack the player effectively).
    • Fixed a bug that permitted salamanders’ whip-like attack pattern to be negated.
    • Fixed a bug that caused enchanted whips to be disproportionately likely to be runic relative to comparable weapons.
    • Fixed items and creatures burning up when they land on a temporary hole in a lava field created by descent or pit bloat.
    • Fixed creatures fleeing over sanctuary glyphs.
    • Fixed more causes of “out of sync” errors.
    • Fixed a bug that let monsters drop items on steam vents.
    • Fixed a bug that would prevent auto-ID of commuted rings of known enchantment level but unknown type.
    • Fixed a bug that allowed some good runic weapons to be commuted to +0 or lower without losing the runic ability.
    • Fixed a bug that prevented allied krakens from learning from flying enemies.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://steamcommunity.com/games/512900/announcements/detail/1708443926951336552

Alpha 60 - You Can Finish the Game
21 SEPTEMBER - MADGUY
dMS97vz.png

At long last, Streets of Rogue can be completed beginning to end!

The Final Level and Ending
For those who don’t mind a bit of a spoiler, here’s how it works: You have to take down the Mayor, who can be found doing one of a number of activities in Mayor Village. As per the city’s remarkably ill-thought-out rules, whoever has the Mayor’s Hat and makes a speech at the podium gets to be the mayor.

You can achieve this goal through tactics that you’ve used previously (fighting, theft, etc.), which can end up being tricky because the Mayor is very heavily guarded. Or, you can beat him/her in a legitimate election -- there’s a sign in the Mayor’s office that explains how this works. Some tactics will prove to be much easier than others (in fact, there are a few very easy ways to cheese the whole thing), but for you completionists, there are achievements and differing ending text based on the method you use.

I’ll definitely be making tweaks in the coming weeks/months, so let me know about your experiences.

So what’s next?
Just because you can finish the game doesn’t mean the game is done, not by any stretch! As you may or may not know, Streets of Rogue is planned to leave Early Access and launch on Steam and consoles in the near-ish future. Previously, my tentative release date was “before the end of 2018”, now it’s “Winter”. Can’t say for sure, but definitely before Spring.

Here’s what’s on my agenda before the game launches out of Early Access:
  • Home base stuff - I’m still not entirely sure what form this will take, but I’ve blocked out some time for it.
  • New playable character - I’ll be adding one new character before the game launches to make it an even 24. More will be added post-launch.
  • Optimization and porting-related tasks - The bulk of Streets of Rogue’s console porting duties are being handled by an external team, but I’ll still need to help out with certain things. It’s really important to me that the game feels solid on all platforms.
  • Balance - There’s still quite a bit of work to be done in this area, and I may end up making some significant changes over the next couple of months. I’ve already added a number of new traits internally which aren’t available yet.
  • Building layout variety - I’ve been neglecting this for a bit too long…
  • Mutators - More coming - Possibly when the game launches!
  • Achievements - Ditto!
  • Bug Fixes - Well duh.

Everything else I have planned will need to wait until post-launch.

Oh yeah, and there's a new Fortnight Discussion on Character Progression. YOU should participate!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alpha 60
New Features and Content

• Game can now be completed. This isn’t going to be the most “complete” patch notes, because a ton of new related changes have been made that I forgot to write down.

Levels
  • Added final level, “Mayor Village”

Music
  • Four new tracks added, all of which are now included in the soundtrack DLC:
    • Final Floor: The Mayor's Lament
    • Final Floor: Speech! Speech!
    • HUH. Get Funky. In the Streets of Rogue. Yeah. Jam On. (Credits)
    • Let's Get This Video Game Started (Titles)

Achievements
  • Six new achievements:
    • You Rule
    • Hostile Takeover
    • Peaceful Takeover
    • Legal Takeover
    • The Bad Ending
    • Quest Conqueror

UI / Controls
  • Added “Electability” ratings to the stats screen. You can find out how this works by reading a sign in the Mayor’s office. I’ll probably end up adjusting the specifics in future builds.
  • Added opening logo animation
  • Added fade animations to menus
  • Fix for word bubbles not stretching properly for when there are 3 or more lines of text

Playfield Objects
  • Fix for certain objects inappropriately saying “(Empty)” on multiplayer client

Status Effects / Traits / Special Abilities
  • Recharge countdowns do not continue if the player is teleporting, or in other similar circumstances where control is taken from them
  • No longer possible to purchase Upper-Crusty status, this is now the goal of the Slum Dweller’s Big Quest
  • Alien can no longer be Possessed or Cannibalized

Missions
  • Fix for missions completing in multiplayer mode after the game had ended

Big Quests
  • All Big Quests are now properly completeable and have rewards, which are activated through he Super Special Abilities mutator

Mutators
  • Added Super Special Abilities mutator

Level Generation
  • Changed the overall structure of the game a bit to make some of the levels smaller and contain fewer quests in an effort to improve the game’s pace. I’m still toying with this stuff, so I may alter these values in the future

Artificial Intelligence
  • Office Drones can be bribed to like you again (this can be used for electability purposes)

Text
  • Changed the names of a couple of real-world songs referenced in the game
  • Changed the Earwarp Whistle description

Multiplayer
  • Fix for certain instances where client interacting with people would produce an internal error and the interaction would not take place

Engine
  • Unity engine updated to 2018.2.8f1

Other
  • Updated NAT Traversal plugin to version 1.63 from 1.61
  • Updated Rewired plugin to version 1.1.19.9 from 1.1.18.0

Internal
  • Added support for a bunch of other new achievements that will probably be added on 1.0 launch
  • Added support for a bunch of new traits that will be coming soon-ish

Alpha 60b
  • Fix for Big Quests not always completing properly at the very end
  • Fix for saved games from the previous version having issues progressing to the next level. Electability stuff probably won’t work properly, however -- you’ll need to start a new game for that.
  • Fix for credits list remaining onscreen in home base if the player pressed Skip Ending while they were visible
  • Fix for Doctor not having infinite Tranquilizer darts for their Super Special Ability
  • Fix for bullet-related errors

Alpha 60c (September 21)
  • Fix for 3- and 4-player modes not working
  • Game can be completed in Sandbox mode, rather than looping like Endless mode does
  • Fix for player being able to take out loans in Uptown and Mayor Village (this should not have been possible)

Alpha 60d (September 22)
  • Anti-hack measures taken to prevent people from hacking into password-protected multiplayer games. Remember, you can still use /ban and /kick in the chat box to remove people from games
  • Fix for shadows not always appearing under NPCs
  • Fix for “slash” sound effect sometimes playing during punches for NPCs that aren’t Zombies or Werewolves
  • Fix for certain items not being removed from the player’s inventory at the end of levels as intended
  • Speech bubbles do not appear in multiplayer mode when people talk to each other during the ending cinematic
  • Fix for armor slot at top of screen sometimes having a number but no image

Alpha 60e (September 25)
  • Fix for yellow target appearing at the start of 3-player mode
  • Fix for Soldier not getting free refills when Super Special Ability is active
  • Fix for Hacker Super Special Ability not being instantaneous when hacking NPCs
  • Fix for Hacker Super Special Ability often not being able to hack things to blow them up after hacking them to do something else first
  • Hacker Super Special Ability can blow up Power Boxes
  • Hacker Super Special Ability works properly with Alarm Buttons
  • Fix for Shapeshifter turning NPCs into Upper Crusters and Supercops when possessing them with the Super Special Abilities mutator turned on
  • Holograms will no longer try to join the crowd at the end of the game
  • Giving the ending speech removes all status effects and forces you out of your cardboard box
  • Fix for metal detectors sometimes playing their sound effect too many times in rapid succession
  • Fix for one of the tutorial NPCs appearing at the incorrect angle under certain circumstances
  • When someone is enslaved while wearing something on their head, they will drop that item
  • Fix for player being able to get the “bad” ending by enslaving the Mayor and then freeing him
  • Fix for players being able to move while frozen
  • Secret Werewolf does not appear on the final level
  • Fix for Cop Bots saying things during end cinematic
  • Fix for items from final level sometimes appearing in home base
  • Fix for player not being able to move in home base after pressing the Skip Ending button on the main menu
  • Fix for players being able to get the Non-Violent Win achievement when the Mayor had been Zombified
  • Fix for red arrow sometimes appearing above items when it’s not supposed to
  • Failsafes for multiplayer loading issues

Alpha 60f
  • Fix for game freezing on Investment Banker ending
  • Key at Guard Post in Mayor Village no longer says “Generic”
  • Slave Helmet Remover is no longer automatically placed in the toolbar
  • Werewolf does not become Dizzy if ending is started while in Werewolf form

getter77

Augur
IVAN gains in greatness still with v0.54 https://github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases/tag/v054

Changes:
* New OSX binary!!
* More interesting TX final level.
* Improved look mode by using showItemsUnder.
* Limit golem spawns to GC and TX.
* Fluid rework! You can now sip only a part of a bottle's contents rather than always drink it all.
* New animations!
* Mini-map notes through engravings.
* Mouse support!
* Mouse hover over silhouette equipment will show a detailed descriptive message on log.
* Hotkey for quick weapon switching.
* Improved lights!
* Text font options added.

Fixes:
* Balance patch for the new materials.
* Fix load game in wizard mode.
* Fix some crashes on iOS.
* Fix many crashes that may happen on death.
* Fix memory leaks of message system and sound system.
* Chests that spawn with broken locks are automatically unlocked.
* Anvils and forges will no longer block your path.
* Fix memory overflow in commandsystem::ShowMap().
* Fix duplicated player after crash.
* Lower resolution to better fit scaled window.
* Warn about severe injury from mustard gas while resting.
* Many minor fixes.

For developers:
* Add define.dat validator for script files.
* Use chrono for rng seed instead of random_device.
* Commands console.

Changes:
* Optional xBRZScale now used to stretch the: full dungeon, Silhouette, inventory items, NPCs on lists.
* FrameSkip optional functionality for slow machines (or heavy CPU load as in "play while you work"
laugh.gif

* You can now optionally review after death events/items/msgs using Ivan3D mode.
* Optionally always center on player after exiting LookZoom mode.
* Optionally show full dungeon name with roman level numbers.
* Grouped config options in categories.
* Custom stack list length (items, drop, throw etc).
* Several new monsters added, including five new uniques.
* Monster AI now knows how to zap wands at you!
* Show items at player position, side by side.
* Nearly 400 new materials added.

Fixes:
* Mainly when toggling full screen mode on linux, it will now wait until you release the key to apply.
* Imprisoned necromancer can cast spells.
* Elianise will no longer steal from you.
* All the ambassadors will stay in the Cathedral and not wander around.
* Nerf mind worm damage a bit.
* Fix unlocking hexagonal and octagonal locks on chests.
* Fix unicorns neighs.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I played it years back and i'm not a rogue-like fan but i enjoyed this one, i'd dare to say it plays mostly like ToME, except there isn't anything but dungeons and you're unlocking stuff from achievements as you go (classes and skills)

In the free version, not every class is available.

I enjoyed it a lot, actually, they even added a kind of infinite dungeon in the end when i came back to replay it 1 or 2 years ago.

Well, to be honest, i hacked the fame stuff after 3 or 4 death as i abide grinding the same stuff over and over again so i'd unlock everything and enjoy the game fully (and don't die no more ), i'm not a rogue-like guy. :P

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Auto Fire has a public build v05 download available https://vertigon.itch.io/auto-fire
I played it for about one hour (I think you can't save your game). I don't know if there are harder locations available, but from what I've played the guy made this build very easy on purpose but it's so easy it's very boring to play, you can kill enemies in one or two hits which is fine, you're flooded with armor parts which could be OK but the enemies don't do any damage which is why it's very boring, you don't have to even shoot while driving you can just stop and shoot them to death.

You get to equip your vehicle with 4 weapons to shoot in each of the 4 cardinal directions, also the weapons have cooldowns and no ammos which sucks.

Not saying the game can't end being good but this demo is not a reason to be enthusiastic about it.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Great talk:salute:

I like what i saw and heard:
1. grafting system - attaching monster parts
2. exchanging body with "things":lol:
3. factions:bounce:
NOPqAjw.jpg

getter77

Augur
Utmost confidence in Ultimate ADOM and Jupiter Hell to pull it off in the end on their respective tilts at possibility itself.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finally got around to playing Golden Krone Hotel because it was on spooky sale. Beat the game on my first try (on Easy), killing Fane in the end. That was a pretty enjoyable game all-in-all. I guess it's not the deepest or most punishing roguelike, but its mechanics are quite involving and enjoyable. This may be my new go-to roguelike recommendation when someone asks for a noob friendly roguelike. Can't wait to try some of the unlocked classes next.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Talking about noob friendly and not deepest nor most punishing roguelike, I just beat The Temple Of Torment (normal difficulty, with fighter class) and, I don't know, it is simple but I like the presentation, the character creation and the itemization. And the game let me play fighter class like fighter class, upgrading strength to be able to wear heavier armors and bumping onto enemies and that's about it.
The world is composed of several towns, one big dungeon, and many small locations unlocked via and specific to one quest (quests which are unlocked by ???). The pacing is alright but it's very likely that the game gets boring if you replay it too much, the beginning especially is busy work to get some XPs and gold, there's at least one fedex quest and such. Therefore it's probably a good thing that it's easy on default difficulty (with a fighter, no idea about the other classes). The game gets a bit repetitive as you progress but if you solve side quests you'll reach the level cap quite far from the end then you can just rush towards the end. I can imagine how the game can potentially be boring if you spend all your time playing very complex ones, but if you're looking for a simple one then it's not worse than the average one.

Tomatohead

Learned
(that ADOM screenshot looks like Diablo 3 menu)

Sorry to drive-by:

Does anyone know about the Nethack dos version? I prefer to play with still supported 3.6.1 version in Dosbox as I still can't stand the Windows version and I like to play with tiles from time to time. I can also enable crt emulation in dosbox and whatnot. However when I try to change the tileset in defaults.nh it will complain 'tileset not supported(5)' or similar and defaults back to the original. The tile is either 16x16 or 32x32 .bmp file and syntax is correct too.

Does anyone remember did the Dos version ever support custom tiles or was it supposed to be enabled with compiler options when compiling the game?

I wouldn't like to install DJGPP for dosbox and start to do any kind of compiling because I'm sure it doesn't work that way anyway... When checking the version info it will display lot of information but I'm not sure if external tileset support is even displayed there. Only thing what I think I remember is that vanilla Dos port ever only supported 16x16 tiles actually. I also know that using tiles I am considered being a heretic but I don't care, my faith is strong.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nethack/comments/8g4tw0/release_of_nethack_361_for_msdos/

IFVUE0C.jpg

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Talking about noob friendly and not deepest nor most punishing roguelike, I just beat The Temple Of Torment (normal difficulty, with fighter class) and, I don't know, it is simple but I like the presentation, the character creation and the itemization. And the game let me play fighter class like fighter class, upgrading strength to be able to wear heavier armors and bumping onto enemies and that's about it.
The world is composed of several towns, one big dungeon, and many small locations unlocked via and specific to one quest (quests which are unlocked by ???). The pacing is alright but it's very likely that the game gets boring if you replay it too much, the beginning especially is busy work to get some XPs and gold, there's at least one fedex quest and such. Therefore it's probably a good thing that it's easy on default difficulty (with a fighter, no idea about the other classes). The game gets a bit repetitive as you progress but if you solve side quests you'll reach the level cap quite far from the end then you can just rush towards the end. I can imagine how the game can potentially be boring if you spend all your time playing very complex ones, but if you're looking for a simple one then it's not worse than the average one.

Tried it but was killed by classic basement rat...

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Don't worry about this first impression, I think I died twice without even entering the main dungeon either but won the game the second game I actually entered the dungeon, and the first time I hadn't done anything else before. I don't think the beginning when you've no idea what the game expect you to do is any easier than average, it's just that the game never gets harder. Just get some more gold via fecth quests and buy equipment, ou can probably get your first levels by delivering packages and such and without fighting but I'm not sure, you can also recruit up to 2 companions and a dog which, I think, does not count. Note that there's a message when you get or lose a companion, "Evil grows stronger" or something, so the difficulty may scale to the number of companions you have. For reference I never managed to beat any well known rogue-like and probably never even came close so the game is easy with a plate mail wearing dude.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom